Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-14-2018, 07:47 PM   #1
Trigun
Connoisseur
Trigun began at the beginning.

Device: kindle pw3
kindle and emojis?

i have a mobi file with emojis... if i open it with calibre i see the emojis but if i send it to the kindle i just see a box with a code inside (i think the unicode of the emoji) is possible in someway to add the emojis on the kindle font? (i need to use a different software for read this mobi?)
Trigun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 07:53 PM   #2
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
You will need to use KF8 instead and embed a font that has support for emoji characters.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2018, 12:05 AM   #3
Trigun
Connoisseur

KF8? kindle fire? or is something else?
Old 03-15-2018, 12:24 AM   #4
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
File format. KF8 I believe stands for Kindle Format 8. Most commonly used inside a AZW3 container, but can also be in other containers. It does allow embedding of fonts whereas old MOBI does not.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 09:13 AM   #5
Shad Plante
Groupie
Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 6th Gen Kindle Paperwhite
A KF8 can be in an AZW3 container or a "new" or "dual" mode mobi container.
Shad Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2018, 09:15 AM   #6
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Irony Alert

Wanting to use a device designed to use for reading to display symbols that are the antithesis of reading.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 10:11 AM   #7
Trigun
Connoisseur

i'm reading a novel and in that novel they use a chat and smiles ... i lose a part of the sentence without the smiles... btw i can't use kf8 with calibre?
Old 03-15-2018, 11:19 AM   #8
Shad Plante
Groupie
Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 6th Gen Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigun View Post
i'm reading a novel and in that novel they use a chat and smiles ... i lose a part of the sentence without the smiles... btw i can't use kf8 with calibre?
I know it is confusing, but you can use the KF8 format and feature in Calibre. The best way to do it uses what Calibre calls an AZW3 file. The AZW3 is a container that can have either a KF8 or a KFX formatted book inside of it. When Calibre does a conversion to an AZW file, it converts to KF8.
Shad Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 12:38 PM   #9
Trigun
Connoisseur

but if u send the books with mail@kindle.com u can only send mobi (it refuse azw3)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...5130_138612630
Quote:
Kindle Format (.MOBI, .AZW)
Microsoft Word (.DOC, .DOCX)
HTML (.HTML, .HTM)
RTF (.RTF)
Text (.TXT)
JPEG (.JPEG, .JPG)
GIF (.GIF)
PNG (.PNG)
BMP (.BMP)
PDF (.PDF)
actually it writes azw but i tried to send awz3 and i got a fail format response (bug? or i'm noob? :-) )
Old 03-15-2018, 01:31 PM   #10
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
but if u send the books with mail@kindle.com u can only send mobi (it refuse azw3)
There are different variants of MOBI format:

MOBI-7 (aka azw) is the old MobiPocket format.

KF8 (aka azw3) is a newer format with more features, such as custom fonts. This is not accepted via email.

A Master MOBI (called MOBI-both in calibre) contains both of the previous formats in a single file. This is the variant produced by Amazon's Kindle Previewer and kindlegen tools. If you email this then the KF8 part of the file will be split out and delivered to your device.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 01:57 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
File format. KF8 I believe stands for Kindle Format 8. Most commonly used inside a AZW3 container, but can also be in other containers. It does allow embedding of fonts whereas old MOBI does not.
KF8 is either in a KF8 or Mobi container or a dual-Mobi container. There are no other containers for KF8. That would be like saying ePub is ePub even in a RAR container.

Last edited by JSWolf; 03-15-2018 at 02:02 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 02:02 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...5130_138612630

actually it writes azw but i tried to send awz3 and i got a fail format response (bug? or i'm noob? :-) )
There's more the Kindle eBooks than what you put. What you put is going to be confusing with it's omissions. There is also topaz, print replica, azk (for KindleforiOS), and maybe others that I'm not remembering.
Old 03-15-2018, 03:26 PM   #13
Trigun
Connoisseur

i think i didn't understand anything.... u can use KF8 with mobi too? i'm converting an html file with calibre command line:
Quote:
String xpath = "//*[@class = 'titolo-capitolo']";
Process pr = rt.exec("ebook-convert \"" + KINDLEFOLDER + titolo + ".html\" \"" + KINDLEFOLDER + titolo
+ ".mobi\" --language english --chapter \"" + xpath + "\" --page-breaks-before \"" + xpath
+ "\"");
but if i use azw3 i can't send to kindle with email if i try to use the cable and send azw3 to kindle i get a different result but still no smile (photos)

azw3 https://www.dropbox.com/s/lu0rfqwuk3nkxci/azw3.jpg?dl=0
mobi https://www.dropbox.com/s/mc0vfko2j3jbazj/mobi.jpg?dl=0
original from kindle viewer https://www.dropbox.com/s/yywleov84v...ginal.PNG?dl=0
Old 03-15-2018, 04:18 PM   #14
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
i think i didn't understand anything.... u can use KF8 with mobi too? i'm converting an html file with calibre command line:

but if i use azw3 i can't send to kindle with email if i try to use the cable and send azw3 to kindle i get a different result but still no smile (photos)

azw3 https://www.dropbox.com/s/lu0rfqwuk3nkxci/azw3.jpg?dl=0
mobi https://www.dropbox.com/s/mc0vfko2j3jbazj/mobi.jpg?dl=0
original from kindle viewer https://www.dropbox.com/s/yywleov84v...ginal.PNG?dl=0
You should have said you are using calibre and should give an example command line.

You can email html to kindle

Or convert to epub instead.
rename file.epub to file.txt or file.zip and email to kindle.

See the following:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kin...ile_Conversion
https://the-digital-reader.com/2017/...ut-conversion/
https://the-digital-reader.com/2016/...ndle-by-email/

There are a number of threads about this, but I can't find them at the moment.

You probably need an epub with an embedded font.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 04:28 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Mobi won't work. You cannot embed any fonts. Mobi is obsolete.