Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-01-2018, 06:59 AM   #1
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Free Or Cheap Compelling Books With Happy Ends

I haven't read much lately, I've been too busy writing. I would love recommendations for something free or low priced which grabs the reader's attention immediately, and is well-written and easy to read. Happy endings please, I hate books with sad endings.

As for genres, not fantasy, or sci-fi, nor YA. I'm open to any other genre, including romance and light thriller. Basically, if you've read a good, cheap ebook lately, please let me know about it.

Kindle format please.

Thanks lots in advance.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 11:08 AM   #2
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I recalled this old thread about lighthearted books - prices weren't mentioned but maybe it would still give you some ideas:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=231548
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2018, 11:31 AM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Be sure and check out our Patricia Clark Memorial Library where we have a ton of free, out of copywright books
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 02:27 PM   #4
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks. I check the library often, but need something more modern. Although I love classics, I'm just not in the mood for them right now.

As for the linked thread; I'm looking for compelling rather than lighthearted, apart from the happy ending. Something you just can't put down from page one.

Last edited by BookCat; 02-02-2018 at 02:33 PM.
Old 02-02-2018, 03:34 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The book Bruno and Sylvia by Lewis Carroll has a happy ending because when you get to the end, you are happy to no longer be reading it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2018, 03:38 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The MR book club read Bucky F&%@ing Dent by David Duchovney and it had a really good ending.

I don't know if it's cheap, but I got it from Overdrive.
Old 02-02-2018, 04:45 PM   #7
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Thanks. I check the library often, but need something more modern. Although I love classics, I'm just not in the mood for them right now.

As for the linked thread; I'm looking for compelling rather than lighthearted, apart from the happy ending. Something you just can't put down from page one.
How do you define "happy ending"? Genre romances end with happily every after; traditional mysteries end with the crime solved and the criminal caught--are those endings happy enough to fit what you're looking for?
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 12:45 PM   #8
BookCat
C L J

By happy ending I mean several things: the plot is nicely tied up, like in an Agatha Christie whodunnit; or the right couple get together; or the baddie gets his comeuppance. It depends upon the genre.

What I don't like in endings are cliffhangers or, for example, thrillers in which they don't manage to save the day, the hero gets killed, the nuclear bomb explodes, or they don't manage to prevent whatever disaster from happening.

So a happy ending is a satisfying one. I don't want to wade through 300 plus pages then feel like throwing my kindle at the wall! (A fate which often befell paperbacks.)
Old 02-04-2018, 01:14 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
What I don't like in endings are cliffhangers or, for example, thrillers in which they don't manage to save the day, the hero gets killed, the nuclear bomb explodes, or they don't manage to prevent whatever disaster from happening.
Would you mind a book with a cliffhanger but the series is completed and eventually there is a happy ending?
Old 02-04-2018, 05:39 PM   #10
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I thought it would be relatively easy to come up with some titles, but I must read too many depressing books. Everything seems to have some final twist that serves to disrupt the otherwise happy ending. Or else the books wallow in gloom--I just finished a suspense thriller with three main characters; although the villain is punished, two of the three die (unnecessarily) and the third suffers a tragedy (also unnecessarily).

I've drawn a blank.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 06:02 AM   #11
BookCat
C L J

JS: I don't really like series, I can never be bothered to read the subsequent books.

Catlady: Thanks for trying. I'd hate the example you gave and only be held back by the cost from throwing my kindle at the wall!

There must be some compelling reads with satisfying endings written in English which don't cost a fortune.

Help!
Old 02-05-2018, 07:06 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
JS: I don't really like series, I can never be bothered to read the subsequent books.
I will recommend The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers. I know this is the first book of a series, but I'm going to recommend it anyway. You don't have to read the other books to really enjoy this one. It's that good and it does have an ending. On GoodReads it has 29,390 rating and an average star rating of 4.18. That's quite good. But if you do want to read more, the second book is out and the thrid book is due in July 2018.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...l-angry-planet

Quote:
When Rosemary Harper joins the crew of the Wayfarer, she isn't expecting much. The patched-up ship has seen better days, but it offers her everything she could possibly want: a spot to call home, a chance to explore the far-off corners of the galaxy, and some distance from her past.

And nothing could be further from what she's known than the crew of the Wayfarer.

From Sissix, the exotic reptilian pilot, to Kizzy and Jenks, the chatty engineers who keep the ship running, to the noble captain Ashby, life aboard is chaotic and crazy—exactly what Rosemary wants. That is until the crew is offered the job of a lifetime tunneling wormholes through space to a distant planet. Sure, they'll earn enough money to live comfortably for years, but risking her life wasn't part of the job description.

The journey through the galaxy is full of excitement, adventure, and mishaps for the Wayfarer team. And along the way, Rosemary comes to realize that a crew is a family, and that family isn't necessarily the worst thing in the universe…as long as you actually like them.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:49 AM   #13
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I will recommend The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers. I know this is the first book of a series, but I'm going to recommend it anyway. You don't have to read the other books to really enjoy this one. It's that good and it does have an ending. On GoodReads it has 29,390 rating and an average star rating of 4.18. That's quite good. But if you do want to read more, the second book is out and the thrid book is due in July 2018.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...l-angry-planet
Am I wrong or can you download it for free at goodreads?
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 03:56 PM   #14
BookCat
C L J

Terisa: you can download it for free, but only in epub.

JSWolf: I mentioned in my original post that sci fi is a genre I don't particularly like.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:46 PM   #15
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Never mind, I missed that you said no sci-fi.

Last edited by curtw; 02-15-2018 at 01:51 PM.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compelling, free or cheap, happy ending, mobi