Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-30-2018, 09:57 AM   #16
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Not being a musician and being very uncooridinated, if I was tapping my foot to the rythm and than had to tap it to change the page, I think it would throw me off.

Bluetooth pedal does seem like a nice fall back, but I'm not seeing pace being a big problem.

They have auto scrolling for lyrics, why not music?
In classical music, tapping one's foot is usually frowned upon, so that shouldn't be an issue

I guess auto scrolling could potentially work for one person playing a solo, but when you have more than one musician they frequently look up at each other (chamber music) or at a conductor (choir, band, orchestra) and then back at the score - if the score were scrolling past it would be hard to find one's place.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 10:01 AM   #17
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Because, as the previous poster said, the decision as to when to turn the page is very much a part of the process of playing music. It depends what you're playing, what you're going to be playing next, and lots of other things. If you watch an orchestra playing, you'll see that not everybody turns the page at the same time: the people playing the twiddly bits (that's a technical term ) will probably turn the page later than those playing repetitive or slower rhythms.
Sure. But there must be some sort of rythm, or cues. If a human can determine when to turn a page, I'm pretty sure a computer could do it.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2018, 10:06 AM   #18
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Sure. But there must be some sort of rythm, or cues. If a human can determine when to turn a page, I'm pretty sure a computer could do it.
It really needs to be up to the musician. Not all musicians will want the same page turned in the same place.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:17 AM   #19
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
It really needs to be up to the musician. Not all musicians will want the same page turned in the same place.
Sure. The musician could "mark" on the page when they would like it turned.

Maybe we are thinking of different things? I'm not thinking of some dumb scan of sheet music, I'm thinking more along the long of esheet music.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:23 AM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Sure. The musician could "mark" on the page when they would like it turned.

Maybe we are thinking of different things? I'm not thinking of some dumb scan of sheet music, I'm thinking more along the long of esheet music.
I strongly suspect, John, that no matter many musicians you asked, you'd struggle to find one who actually wanted a machine to automatically turn the page for them while playing music. Have you noticed a demand for automatic page turning in book readers? Hands-free page turning, certainly, but automatic, no.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2018, 10:25 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
Exactly, hence my suggestion to watch an orchestra and see what happens in real life!
Old 01-30-2018, 10:49 AM   #22
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I strongly suspect, John, that no matter many musicians you asked, you'd struggle to find one who actually wanted a machine to automatically turn the page for them while playing music. Have you noticed a demand for automatic page turning in book readers? Hands-free page turning, certainly, but automatic, no.
Sure. Because, of bias. Take you for example , you seem to have pre-conceived ideas: It's too complicated, all or nothing, too expensive, not cost effective, limited only to musicians, won't work for classical music, ...
Old 01-30-2018, 10:51 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Absolutely. All the fault of us old fossils . I'm afraid I do think, though, that paying $1600 (or $1900 with a foot pedal) is a tad on the expensive side! I thought my Kindle Oasis, at a quarter of that, was pretty pricey...
Old 01-30-2018, 11:07 AM   #24
4691mls
Wizard

Quote:
Sure. Because, of bias. Take you for example , you seem to have pre-conceived ideas: It's too complicated, all or nothing, too expensive, not cost effective, limited only to musicians, won't work for classical music, ...
Until they can come up with software that will read my mind and turn a page exactly when I want it, I want to retain control
Old 01-30-2018, 12:24 PM   #25
jselby
Zealot
jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage | Samsug GT4
Other complicating factors include repeats, multiple endings, and codas which would require the device to read and parse the music rather than just display it. Though at $1600 maybe it can...
jselby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 12:47 PM   #26
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jselby View Post
Other complicating factors include repeats, multiple endings, and codas which would require the device to read and parse the music rather than just display it. Though at $1600 maybe it can...
Setting that up is part of the software.

That said I would choose an iPad Pro 12.9” against this thing any day. It is considerably more versatile, cheaper, and there are great software options, e.g., ‘forScore’.

ForScore has a companion app that will sync multiple screens, pair two screens to show left/right ‘pages’, etc.

And what are the chances of easily replacing this non-commodity device should something happen to it? Especially if the company is not making them in a year or two? With an iPad you can get a replacement just about anywhere in the world and restore from a backup in under an hour.

Last edited by tomsem; 01-30-2018 at 12:49 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 04:38 PM   #27
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Setting that up is part of the software.

That said I would choose an iPad Pro 12.9” against this thing any day. It is considerably more versatile, cheaper, and there are great software options, e.g., ‘forScore’.

ForScore has a companion app that will sync multiple screens, pair two screens to show left/right ‘pages’, etc.

Inconceivable!
Old 01-30-2018, 05:14 PM   #28
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
Co-ordinated dual screeens, with stylus annotation, no LCD backlight, abilty to store thousands of scores.

Hal Leonard music publisher, is mentioned here:
https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...-Digital-Music
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 07:04 PM   #29
4691mls
Wizard

It does sound like a cool device, assuming it works reliably.
Old 01-31-2018, 02:23 AM   #30
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
The OP said "just a tap", nothing about automated page turning. The details on the site, mention several programmable touch sensitive spots in the bezel and the video shows tapping one to turn the page. From my experience (I don't play an instrument, but everyone else in my family plays at least one and I would sometimes have the "privilege" of being the page turner for them), that would be a big improvement over turning the pages in a paper score. Much easier to do, quiet and hopefully accurate.

The site also shows reordering the pages of the score. So, if you need to repeat a section, you can set it up to just show that page again. That way you just hit the same spot on the bezel to move through the score. That sounds very good.

Also, one of the accessories shown is a foot pedal for page turning. They seem to think it is something only a piano player would want. But, I think others would find it useful.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote