Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-25-2022, 11:26 AM   #1
ajkessel
Connoisseur
ajkessel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3rd Generation
Any way out when stuck in Demo Mode with no settings option?

I recently reset my Kindle Oasis (8th gen). After resetting, it could no longer register with Amazon. Per some forum postings, this appears to be a result of anti-theft settings in recently OS releases, so I attempted to downgrade, which also doesn't work right out of the box (nor does jailbreaking). Some postings suggested airplane mode+demo mode, which I did.

Now my device boots into "this demonstration device is either missing content or is disconnected from the network - CONFIGURE DEVICE."

Have I essentially bricked my device unless I break it open and connect with a USB-serial board? I'm not sure it's worth the effort since the battery was on its last legs, but I would like to get the device to a usable state again if there is a simple way to do it.
ajkessel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 12:28 PM   #2
ajkessel
Connoisseur
ajkessel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3rd Generation
Found a way out! The secret "double tap" gesture described here got me back to the Kindle menu, from which I could perform a factory reset and get back to regular user mode.

I'm still unable to register the Kindle. Apparently, a Kindle OS downgrade might fix this issue, but it's unclear to me if there is any viable downgrade path for a Kindle running 5.14.3.0.1. Does anyone have a reliable solution?
ajkessel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
downgrade, oasis