Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 03-14-2018, 12:59 PM   #1
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Technical Questions R.e., Smartphone Storage.

I've got an LG Harmony (LG-M257) smartphone.

I ran out of internal memory (is that the same as "storage?"). So, I got a 32 GB card, mounted it, and seemed to have no problem because several GB's on it started to be used.

However, now I keep getting "out of storage" messages when I try to add an ebook, etc. The phone tells me that I still have 24 GB--or maybe it's 27 GB--left on the memory card! Does anyone have any idea what might be going on?

Related to that question, I can't find, even after lots of searching, a manual way to transfer files from the internal memory to the external memory. I tried to do that even before the phone told me that I was out of storage.

I know that I could probably dig the needed information out of the phone's owner's manual, which I suppose is on LG's website somewhere. But, I know that there are people on this thread who could give me the answers fairly quickly, and save me a lot of time looking and using trial-and-error to try to solve the problem(s).

If's there's anyone who knows the answers to one or both questions above, I sure would appreciate it if he/she would let me know.

Thanks.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 05:18 PM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Have you tried installing ES File Explorer to manage files? Also, are you saving books to the SD card and not internal storage?
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 06:06 AM   #3
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Have you tried installing ES File Explorer to manage files? Also, are you saving books to the SD card and not internal storage?
Thanks for your reply.

I tried one file explorer app, but I couldn't figure out how to use it to do what I wanted it to do; so, I deleted it. I'll try the ES File Explorer. Ironically, I think that I will have to delete an app and maybe some other things in order to add it though, because of the out of memory/out of storage issue.

I looked all around for a setting that would direct the smartphone to store things on the card, instead of in internal memory, but never could find such a setting. If the file explorer can help me out in moving some things around, maybe it wouldn't be too big of an issue for me to download the owner's manual and locate the info in there. I guess that I could download it to my laptop if I needed to.

Thanks, again.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 03-15-2018 at 06:10 AM.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:41 AM   #4
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure if the info's available on the owner's manual. Maybe moving pictures and videos to SD card might be covered but probably not the rest.

Typically, long press on an item would give you a context menu (like right-click). That usually helps me figure things out.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:43 AM   #5
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Unfortunately, I'm not sure if the info's available on the owner's manual. Maybe moving pictures and videos to SD card might be covered but probably not the rest.

Typically, long press on an item would give you a context menu (like right-click). That usually helps me figure things out.
Thanks, again.
Old 03-15-2018, 10:35 PM   #6
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
If all you did was add an SD card, but you didn't tell the phone to actually use it, it's probably still trying to load your books to the phone's internal storage.

If you go into Apps - e.g., find Kindle app in the list - you can see if it gives you the option to move the books and even the program itself to the SD card. Or if you open the program you're using to read books, you might check the app's settings to see if it gives you the option to move them to the SD card.

I'm probably not explaining this very well. I tend to switch as much to SD card as I can, then I forget about it. So it usually takes me a while to find the options when I need to go back and revise my settings. I also had a Samsung phone that removed the ability to move apps/files to the SD card via the Apps menu. Probably why I haven't bought another Samsung device.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 02:11 PM   #7
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

Well, I did locate the owner's manual, that I had saved at some point in the past, on my laptop's hdd. So, we'll see . . . . That looks like it would be such a basic question, what with smartphones providing a slot for external memory, that that matter would be covered in the owner's manual.

If the owner's manual is no help, I guess that I will find out how good LG's technical support is, by giving them a try.

Yeah, I miss having a context menu on the smartphone. But it's amazing to me how much they manage to cram in already. Maybe a future version of Android (what I use) will add that kind of feature.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 03-16-2018 at 02:16 PM.
Old 03-16-2018, 02:26 PM   #8
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
If all you did was add an SD card, but you didn't tell the phone to actually use it, it's probably still trying to load your books to the phone's internal storage.

If you go into Apps - e.g., find Kindle app in the list - you can see if it gives you the option to move the books and even the program itself to the SD card. Or if you open the program you're using to read books, you might check the app's settings to see if it gives you the option to move them to the SD card.

I'm probably not explaining this very well. I tend to switch as much to SD card as I can, then I forget about it. So it usually takes me a while to find the options when I need to go back and revise my settings. I also had a Samsung phone that removed the ability to move apps/files to the SD card via the Apps menu. Probably why I haven't bought another Samsung device.
No, you explained it very well. Thanks.

I thought that I had scoured all of the different options in "settings," "file explorer," and maybe some elsewhere on the phone. But, as I think that I mentioned, I'm going to scour them again. Even if I don't find the answer to that particular question, I have found that I learn a whole lot about the smartphone--things that come in handy later--doing things like that.

As I mentioned, something has gotten to the SD card somehow, because at some point--maybe when the phone boots up (is that the correct terminology for a smartphone turning on? I dunno.)--there is a message that 24 GB, 27 GB, or some other number of GB in the 20's is available in the internal memory; the card holds 32 GB.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 03-16-2018 at 02:29 PM.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:12 AM   #9
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Moving this to the Android forum, where it will have more visibility (and where it belongs ).

I think the answer is that LG disallowed moving apps to an SD card with Marshmallow. I'm guessing your phone was running Lollipop when you were able to move some apps/content to the card, but that it upgraded to Marshmallow and it's no longer possible.

I have an LG Phoenix that I use as a media player and like it a lot, but not being able to move content to the SD card is a serious limitation. 16GB of internal storage just isn't enough if you want to have a choice of audiobooks always available. All I can recommend is what you already seem to be doing; uninstall anything you can that you don't really need. For the bloatware you can't get rid of, uninstall any updates and then disable it so it doesn't keep updating. Turn automatic updates off.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 11:33 AM   #10
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
If you are on Android N I would recommend following this video and converting your sd card to internal storage. The limitation is that you will have to treat the SD card as part of the phone from then on you won't be able to just take it out and use it another device
https://youtu.be/_7tkrFzM1Gg
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 02:07 AM   #11
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

It's enough to make me an iOS user. Okay, that's stretching it a little bit.

Thanks for the help and advice from all of you. You've given me some actionable information that will help me work through this problem.
Old 03-24-2018, 03:17 AM   #12
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
It's enough to make me an iOS user. Okay, that's stretching it a little bit.
That'll be $100 for 32GB, sucker. -Apple

J/k. I use iPads as I have yet to find a tablet that fits me quite as well (yes, I actually do want a tablet and not a laptop alternative). The upcharge for storage is killer, though. I always opt for highest capacity and the 512GB LTE 12.9 almost cost $1500 after taxes and AppleCare+.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 03-24-2018 at 04:58 AM.
Old 03-26-2018, 02:22 PM   #13
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

I found out that I have Nougat. That will let me limit my search on the Internet for help to just one version of Android, anyway.

I was just cutting into flesh before, but now I've had to start cutting into bone--the Mozilla Firefox app was the first to go in my effort to free up some space. This really seems ridiculous. There ought to be riots in the streets (_Please_ don't take that literally!).

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 03-26-2018 at 04:30 PM.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:30 PM   #14
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Be sure to read about pros and cons of setting up your SD card as internal vs external storage before making a decision to set yours as internal. I did some reading about this last year when I got an Android Marshmallow phone and decided to use mine as external storage - obviously you may have different needs. At the time I was looking into it, I found plenty of articles and forum discussions about the pros and cons via a Google search.

Depending on your apps, you might not be able to store files on an external SD card.
For example, Bookari/Mantano stores books in internal storage:
http://support.mantano.com/customer/...not-supported-

Apps such as your camera may have their own settings that allow you to choose whether the default storage location is in the phone's internal storage or on the card. You may need to do some more googling or refer to your phone's user guide to find out how to access these settings.

Here's a brief video showing how to move image files to SD card on a Nougat device (I believe this is for having the SD card as external storage) - it looks pretty simple.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1233Kqg450
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 03:26 PM   #15
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
Be sure to read about pros and cons of setting up your SD card as internal vs external storage before making a decision to set yours as internal. I did some reading about this last year when I got an Android Marshmallow phone and decided to use mine as external storage - obviously you may have different needs. At the time I was looking into it, I found plenty of articles and forum discussions about the pros and cons via a Google search.

Depending on your apps, you might not be able to store files on an external SD card.
For example, Bookari/Mantano stores books in internal storage:
http://support.mantano.com/customer/...not-supported-

Apps such as your camera may have their own settings that allow you to choose whether the default storage location is in the phone's internal storage or on the card. You may need to do some more googling or refer to your phone's user guide to find out how to access these settings.

Here's a brief video showing how to move image files to SD card on a Nougat device (I believe this is for having the SD card as external storage) - it looks pretty simple.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1233Kqg450
Very helpful information--I'll experiment using the info. And, I'll check out the video. I hope that no one of you is having to do much, if any, research to help me out; I just wanted to tap into your collective knowledge to see what you knew off of the top of your heads.

I've got an idea. It would/could be very time-consuming, but I wonder why it wouldn't work . . . . I found out that "move" in computerspeak does not mean "move," at least in Android--it means "copy." So when, in my ignorance, I tried "moving" files from internal storage to the SD card, they were _copied_ to the SD card, not just moved! What if I began moving files to the SD card, then _deleted_ those files in internal storage? Wouldn't that accomplish what I wanted? However, I'm having some daytime nightmares here . . . . would I have to use _pencil and paper_ (Ack!) to record the names of the files that I moved, in order to find the ones in internal storage that I wanted to delete???

Alternatively, I wonder about duplicate file finder apps. Does anyone know if any of them would _cross storage locations/media_ (in other words, check multiple storage locations) in order to find duplicates? For example, in my case, that the app would check _both_ internal storage _and_ the SD card to find duplicate files? If so, that might help a lot, it seems. If there was such an app, however, my quandry, ironically, is where to put it--my internal storage now is as scarce as waterfalls are in the Sahara desert.

Thirty years ago, the people "in the know" said that personal computers would make our lives easier . . . .

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 03-28-2018 at 01:00 AM.