Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-05-2009, 09:25 PM   #1
macgirlmichelle
macgirlmichelle began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
PDFs hang 505 reader, must reset

I just bought a new PRS-505. I downloaded a free PDF book from Oprah.com. I can read it fine in Adobe Reader on my Mac, however, when I pull it up on my 505, everything looks great until page 4 then it freezes the entire reader. This happened also with a pdf from Project Gutenburg. The only option at that point is to reset.

It looks like I have an even later firmware version than is available on the Sony site.

What could be the problem?
macgirlmichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:59 PM   #2
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Hmm. How are you transferring the book onto the Reader?
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2009, 09:28 AM   #3
macgirlmichelle

I use Calibre (Mac), and transferred it just as it came - PDF. Last night, I used Calibre to convert it from PDF to EPUB, and now I can page through it, but the formatting is all off.

I've tried to convert PDF to LRF using Calibre before and the formatting was just too bad, so that's why I chose EPUB.

Any suggestions for other formats? Thanks.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:08 AM   #4
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
That must be Let the great world spin PDF? if so it crashes both the Sony ebook library software and Adobe digital editions on Windoze.

I read another post (can't find it for the moment) where the poster said (I think) there were some big .PNG files in the PDF causing the problem, which he stripped & solved it.

EDIT:
FWIW after posting the above I converted the PDF using Mobipocket creator, deleted the .png images from the folder before finally converting to .PRC then used Calibre to convert the .PRC to .LRF

All a bit of a pain but you end up with an LRF which works

Last edited by columbus; 08-07-2009 at 11:52 AM. Reason: more info
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:05 AM   #5
macgirlmichelle

Yes, it is Let the Great World Spin. Thanks so much. I will try the same. . . .
Advert