Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 11-15-2023, 01:22 PM   #46
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Don't sweat the windows.h stuff. Add that qt6-webengine-dev-tools package and try the build again. Don't worry about the USE_SYSTEM_LIBS stuff for now either. Leave it like you have it (or just remove -DUSE_SYSTEM_LIBS=1 like Kevin mentioned).

Delete the contents of your build directory before rebuilding, though (or at least delete the CMakeCache.txt file).
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 02:24 PM   #47
philja
Zealot
philja began at the beginning.

Device: none
I've removed the -DUSE_SYSTEM_LIBS=1 from the command line. I've installed the qt6-webengine-dev-tools package. I deleted the old sigil-build directory and made a new one. Then I ran the cmake again.

This time, all bundled hunspell, pcre3, zlib, minizip were used. The failures were the same with one extra I didn't see last time (under using bundled ZLIB):

Code:
Check size of off64_t - failed
The CMakeError.log has a mention of this:

Code:
 Entering directory '/home/pnj/sigil-build/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp'
Building C object CMakeFiles/cmTC_58f66.dir/OFF64_T.c.o
/usr/bin/cc    -o CMakeFiles/cmTC_58f66.dir/OFF64_T.c.o -c /home/pnj/sigil-build/CMakeFiles/CheckTypeSize/OFF64_T.c
/home/pnj/sigil-build/CMakeFiles/CheckTypeSize/OFF64_T.c:27:22: error: ‘off64_t’ undeclared here (not in a function); did you mean ‘off_t’?
   27 | #define SIZE (sizeof(off64_t))
The others were the same:
Code:
 Using Bundled PCRE2
-- Looking for dirent.h
-- Looking for dirent.h - found
-- Looking for inttypes.h
-- Looking for inttypes.h - found
-- Looking for sys/stat.h
-- Looking for sys/stat.h - found
-- Looking for unistd.h
-- Looking for unistd.h - found
-- Looking for windows.h
-- Looking for windows.h - not found
-- Looking for C++ include type_traits.h
-- Looking for C++ include type_traits.h - not found
-- Looking for C++ include bits/type_traits.h
-- Looking for C++ include bits/type_traits.h - not found
and

Code:
 Looking for _strtoi64 - not found
Then the red part of the consol output has completely changed:

Code:
CMake Error at /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/cmake/Qt6LinguistTools/Qt6LinguistToolsTargets.cmake:131 (message):
  The imported target "Qt6::lconvert" references the file
     "/usr/lib/qt6/bin/lconvert"
  but this file does not exist.  Possible reasons include:
  * The file was deleted, renamed, or moved to another location.
  * An install or uninstall procedure did not complete successfully.
  * The installation package was faulty and contained
     "/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/cmake/Qt6LinguistTools/Qt6LinguistToolsTargets.cmake"
  but not all the files it references.

Call Stack (most recent call first):
  /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/cmake/Qt6LinguistTools/Qt6LinguistToolsConfig.cmake:47 (include)
  /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/cmake/Qt6/Qt6Config.cmake:219 (find_package)
  src/qt6sigil.cmake:27 (find_package)
  src/CMakeLists.txt:685 (include)
There was no orange colored output this time. So it looks like the Qt6WebEngine problem has disappeared.

Last edited by philja; 11-15-2023 at 02:28 PM.
philja is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2023, 02:30 PM   #48
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
During the "configure" stage, code will look for specific system headers and things and being "not found" is ***not*** an error message. It is actually just information.

Only when the configure stage fails is the exact warning shown.
So please ignore all of the following not found:

Using Bundled PCRE2
-- Looking for dirent.h
-- Looking for dirent.h - found
-- Looking for inttypes.h
-- Looking for inttypes.h - found
-- Looking for sys/stat.h
-- Looking for sys/stat.h - found
-- Looking for unistd.h
-- Looking for unistd.h - found
-- Looking for windows.h
-- Looking for windows.h - not found
-- Looking for C++ include type_traits.h
-- Looking for C++ include type_traits.h - not found
-- Looking for C++ include bits/type_traits.h
-- Looking for C++ include bits/type_traits.h - not found

unless they actually result in the "configure stage" failing.
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 02:33 PM   #49
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
I think the real problem is that the official Qt CMake files actually check the entire Qt6 installation to validate it is correct before allowing things to proceed. My own attmepts to only partially install Qt6 (just the pieces I needed) failed miserably on macOS for exactly this reason.

So I recommend installing all of the Qt6 related packages just for your build.
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 03:02 PM   #50
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Try the qt6-l10n-tools package to remedy the missing lconvert.

Man... Debian/Ubuntu have really gone wild on butchering all the Qt6 packages.
Advert
Old 11-15-2023, 04:08 PM   #51
philja
Zealot

Thanks for the replies DiapDealer and KevinH.

I installed the qt6-l10n-tools package, made a new sigil-build directory and completed the cmake, make, make install with no apparent problems (ignoring the 'not found' comments).

I then tried to run Sigil from my existing desktop setup and also from a terminal. Both resulted in a 'Sigil has encountered a problem. Sigil may need to close.'

The details were:

Error info: Fatal: Could not find QtWebEngineProcess
Sigil version: 2.0.2
Runtime Qt: 6.2.4
Compiled Qt: 6.2.4
System: Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS
Architecture: x86_64

I checked in the system monitor and there was no Qt process running. So however that process gets launched is not working correctly.
Old 11-15-2023, 04:56 PM   #52
philja
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
I think the real problem is that the official Qt CMake files actually check the entire Qt6 installation to validate it is correct before allowing things to proceed. My own attmepts to only partially install Qt6 (just the pieces I needed) failed miserably on macOS for exactly this reason.

So I recommend installing all of the Qt6 related packages just for your build.
There are about 40 other qt6 packages listed in the Muon package manager that are not yet installed. Are you saying they could all be needed to keep Qt happy?
Old 11-15-2023, 05:04 PM   #53
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Don't install them all yet!
Old 11-15-2023, 05:17 PM   #54
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I'm flabbergasted that one of the other meta-packages didn't pull it in, but try installing the libqt6webenginecore6-bin package. It is literally a package that supplies ONE binary file. Which is QtWebEngineProcess! That's nuts! It's all about debundling these days.

The good news is that you shouldn't have to rebuild Sigil. Just install that package and try running Sigil again.

It's no wonder there's no Qt6 version of Sigil in the Ubuntu repos yet. All the Qt6 pieces are there, but no one can figure out which of 60 or so Qt6 dev pieces (and/or lib packages) are needed to build Sigil. Let alone figure out which tiny qt6 tool/bin packages might be needed to run it!

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-15-2023 at 05:25 PM.
Old 11-16-2023, 07:29 AM   #55
philja
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'm flabbergasted that one of the other meta-packages didn't pull it in, but try installing the libqt6webenginecore6-bin package. It is literally a package that supplies ONE binary file. Which is QtWebEngineProcess! That's nuts! It's all about debundling these days.

The good news is that you shouldn't have to rebuild Sigil. Just install that package and try running Sigil again.

It's no wonder there's no Qt6 version of Sigil in the Ubuntu repos yet. All the Qt6 pieces are there, but no one can figure out which of 60 or so Qt6 dev pieces (and/or lib packages) are needed to build Sigil. Let alone figure out which tiny qt6 tool/bin packages might be needed to run it!
That's the one, DiapDealer !! I installed just libqt6webenginecore6-bin and now Sigil starts and runs as though it had never been absent.

It declares itself to be Sigil 2.0.2 using Qt 6.2.4 Build time 2023.11.15 20:40:47 UTC

Thanks to you and KevinH for all your help.
Old 11-16-2023, 07:44 AM   #56
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Good to know! Thanks for reporting back at each step. I'm using the pieces from this thread to document for the future.

If you use any third-party gui plugins, you may run into problems with those that rely upon PySide6. We should be able to work something out there, too. I even have a beta stand-alone Python AppImage that can be used as the Python interpreter for Sigil plugins. It has all of Sigil's recommended extra modules (including PySide6) already packaged. It's testing well.

Check here if interested: https://github.com/dougmassay/appima...eleases/latest

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-16-2023 at 07:48 AM.
Old 11-16-2023, 07:53 AM   #57
philja
Zealot

Quote:
Good to know! Thanks for reporting back at each step. I'm using the pieces from this thread to document for the future.

If you use any third-party gui plugins, you may run into problems with those that rely upon PySide6. We should be able to work something out there, too. I even have a beta stand-alone Python AppImage that can be used as the Python interpreter for Sigil plugins. It has all of Sigil's recommended extra modules (including PySide6) already packaged. It's testing well.

Check here if interested: https://github.com/dougmassay/appima...eleases/latest
I'll be able to get into checking out my plugins a bit later today to see if they all work ok. But for now, I've got to get out and about.
Old 11-16-2023, 08:05 AM   #58
recook
Enthusiast
recook began at the beginning.

Device: kobo Nia
Smile

Hi,

Quote:
For the record, here it works with
Quote:
Originally Posted by recook View Post
Code:
sudo apt-get install qt6-webengine-dev-tools qt6-base-dev-tools qt6-tools-dev qt6-tools-dev-tools qt6-5compat-dev
with just
Code:
qt6-svg-dev
added for icon display.

This is on Debian 12 bookworm, with added Sparkylinux 7.1 orion-belt repos added.

Right now, i'm the proverbial happy Camper, thanks to the help of y'all.
recook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 08:19 AM   #59
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Yeah, I didn't have much trouble on my Debian 12 VM getting it to work with the handful of metal packages either. But Ubuntu Jammy doesn't seem to have all its meta ducks in a row. qt6-svg (dev or otherwise) doesn't exist in Jammy's repos. Same for qt6-5compat-dev. lconvert doesn't get pulled in by other meta-packages. Neither does QtWebEngineProcess. It gets a little better with Ubuntu Lunar.
Old 11-16-2023, 05:04 PM   #60
philja
Zealot

I've had a bit of time to check the plugins now. Most that I use are ok except TagMechanic and that looks like a PySide6 problem - see further down.

InsertImageSVG works ok but with some problem probably unconnected with Qt6 - I've put the details in :
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...44#post4373144

I downloaded and ran the latest testplugin_v020. I've seen the discussion in :
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...=346162&page=2

My results were the same as in post #24.

When I start Sigil from my desktop icon or a terminal using
Code:
/usr/local/bin/sigil
the plugin fails with this output:
Code:
Checking GUI modules
    Python Package: PySide6 Missing
    Python Package: PySide6 QtWebEngineWidgets Missing
    Python Package: tkinter (/usr/lib/python3.10/tkinter/__init__.py) Found
If I start Sigil using a terminal with :
Code:
/usr/local/lib/sigil/sigil
the plugin succeeds with PySide6 being found:

Code:
Checking GUI modules
    Python Package: PySide6 (/home/pnj/.local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/PySide6/QtWidgets.abi3.so) Found
    Python Package: PySide6 QtWebEngineWidgets (/home/pnj/.local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/PySide6/QtWebEngineWidgets.abi3.so) Found
    Python Package: tkinter (/usr/lib/python3.10/tkinter/__init__.py) Found
If I understand correctly, I need to edit the sigil file in /usr/local/bin/. I'd appreciate a description of what I need to do to change that file.