Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 11-13-2023, 09:48 AM   #16
recook
Enthusiast
recook began at the beginning.

Device: kobo Nia
Hi,

pageedit was also selfcompiled from v2.0.2.
It ran, but maybe also without icons, i didn't notice there.

As for dependencies, i *could* post my relevant apt history log part here, but i'll refrain, for it surely contains "qt6-*", but is lamentably unstructured.
--
regards,
-- recook

Last edited by recook; 11-13-2023 at 09:50 AM. Reason: missing text
recook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 10:26 AM   #17
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
My bad. The Qt6-Svg binary package is apparently named libqt6svg6 on Debian/Ubuntu.

The Qt5 equivalent is libqt5svg5.

There may be a more handily-named meta-package that pulls that in, but if so, I can't find it.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-13-2023 at 10:44 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2023, 10:32 AM   #18
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've updated the Sigil Linux build documentation on github. There are now only two files:

Building_on_Linux.md (Current Qt6-based that strives to provide package-names for both Arch- and Debian-based distros)
Building_on_Linux_old.md (updated Debian-based Qt5 instructions with the Qtsvg module dependency noted)

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-13-2023 at 10:45 AM.
Old 11-13-2023, 12:12 PM   #19
recook
Enthusiast

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
My bad. The Qt6-Svg binary package is apparently named libqt6svg6 on Debian/Ubuntu.
Which qt6-svg-dev depends on. All is well 8^)
Old 11-13-2023, 12:16 PM   #20
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by recook View Post
Hi,

Which qt6-svg-dev depends on. All is well 8^)
Thanks! I'll update the build instructions with that much more reasonably-named package.
Advert
Old 11-13-2023, 12:21 PM   #21
recook
Enthusiast

Cool

Hi,

Quote:
Or.... you could just add the qt6-svg package, which is a runtime dependency of Sigil, to make the icons appear.
And lo, and behold:
`sudo apt install qt6-svg-dev` (which depends on libqt6svg6)
did let appear the Icons!

I'm delighted, sir!
--
regards,
-- recook
Old 11-13-2023, 12:28 PM   #22
recook
Enthusiast

Hi,

Quote:
I've updated the Sigil Linux build documentation on github. There are now only two files:

Building_on_Linux.md (Current Qt6-based that strives to provide package-names for both Arch- and Debian-based distros)
I'm just going to compile Sigil-2.0.2 again, and noted that your line
Code:
sudo apt-get install qt6-webengine-dev-tools qt6-base-dev-tools qt6-tools-dev qt6-tools-dev-tools qt6-5compat-dev qt6-svg
is missing a -dev at the end,
there's a (necessary) qt6-svg-dev package, but not qt6-svg.
--
regards,
-- recook
Old 11-13-2023, 12:44 PM   #23
recook
Enthusiast

Hi,

in the qt-cmake run as a lowly user, this came up:
Code:
CMake Warning:
  Manually-specified variables were not used by the project:

CMAKE_TOOLCHAIN_FILE
Old 11-13-2023, 01:01 PM   #24
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Hi,

I'm just going to compile Sigil-2.0.2 again, and noted that your line
Code:
sudo apt-get install qt6-webengine-dev-tools qt6-base-dev-tools qt6-tools-dev qt6-tools-dev-tools qt6-5compat-dev qt6-svg
is missing a -dev at the end,
there's a (necessary) qt6-svg-dev package, but not qt6-svg.
--
regards,
-- recook
Thanks for catching that. I think I'm going to leave it as just libqt6svg6 for now. The development includes are not actually necessary to build Sigil. It's a runtime requirement only. Also, the qt6-svg-dev package does not seem to be available in Ubuntu until the mantic (23.04) release. The libqt6svg6 package is available in jammy (22.04).

Different driveway, but it all seems to go to the same house.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-13-2023 at 02:07 PM.
Old 11-13-2023, 01:09 PM   #25
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Hi,

in the qt-cmake run as a lowly user, this came up:
Code:
CMake Warning:
  Manually-specified variables were not used by the project:

CMAKE_TOOLCHAIN_FILE
If it builds (with Qt6) and runs OK, I wouldn't worry about it. That part was written when cmake still needed a bit of help finding Qt6 on certain distros.

qt6-base-dev provides Qt6Config.cmake which should allow the standard cmake command to find the everything it needs for a Qt6 build.
Old 11-13-2023, 02:32 PM   #26
recook
Enthusiast

Unhappy

Quote:
Hi,
indeed i have, to /usr/local/bin/pageedit .
Also, i checked the Keyboard shortcut, which was still F2.
The _again_ recompiled and installed Sigil-2.0.2 now runs with icons, but still doesen't start PageEdit, configured like above and indeed there.

PageEdit from there runs.

This is somewhat of a showstopper for me.
Old 11-13-2023, 03:01 PM   #27
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
The _again_ recompiled and installed Sigil-2.0.2 now runs with icons, but still doesen't start PageEdit, configured like above and indeed there.

PageEdit from there runs.

This is somewhat of a showstopper for me.
Does it give any kind of message in the Sigil status bar about PageEdit when you try to launch it?

Also... try launching Sigil from a command prompt and see if there's any relevant output when trying to launch PageEdit from Sigil.

Launch both Sigil and PagEdit separately and confirm that they're both using Qt6 with the About dialogs.

Try running 'which sigil' and 'which pageedit' from a command line to make sure there are not multiple versions of either on your PATH

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-13-2023 at 03:04 PM.
Old 11-13-2023, 07:06 PM   #28
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

By the way: qt6-webengine-dev-tools is not needed for Sigil. It only provides a few tools that PageEdit needs to convert dictionaries. It also does not pull in the qt6-webengine-dev package that Sigil DOES require to build. It must have already been installed on your system.
Old 11-13-2023, 07:29 PM   #29
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I set up a Debian Bookworm VM and was able to build Sigil and PageEdit with Qt6 (from the current github instructions), but I couldn't replicate your problem launching PageEdit from Sigil with the Launch External Xhtml Editor button. I used the the preferences to browse to /usr/local/bin/pageedit and selected it as by external xhtml editor and it launched from the menu button just fine (and from the F2 keyboard shortcut as well).
Old 11-14-2023, 03:02 AM   #30
recook
Enthusiast

Hi,

Quote:
I used the the preferences to browse to /usr/local/bin/pageedit and selected it as by external xhtml editor and it launched from the menu button just fine (and from the F2 keyboard shortcut as well).
I wish. I did the exact same things, without pageedit starting.
Up to now.
But last time i checked, it STARTED!!

You didn't by chance wave magic hands, or something?

Quote:
Does it give any kind of message in the Sigil status bar about PageEdit when you try to launch it?
The usual, now as before, "Executing external XHTML editor".

Quote:
Also... try launching Sigil from a command prompt and see if there's any relevant output when trying to launch PageEdit from Sigil.
Well, i dont rightly know; methinks before there was nothing when calling pageedit.
Now, it's a text block after starting sigil like
Code:
Info: 

GL Type: desktop
  *  in-process-gpu  
  *  use-gl desktop
and again the same, when calling for pageedit.

Quote:
Launch both Sigil and PagEdit separately and confirm that they're both using Qt6 with the About dialogs.
6.4.2, they say.

Quote:
Try running 'which sigil' and 'which pageedit' from a command line to make sure there are not multiple versions of either on your PATH
Code:
$ which sigil 
/usr/local/bin/sigil
$ which pageedit 
/usr/local/bin/pageedit
But, as i said, now it works, don't know why not before.
Curiouser and curiouser, said Alice.