Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 04-01-2024, 04:05 PM   #9436
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzhands View Post
ETA: I have screenshots of the issue if you want them. But I couldn't quickly find a place to host the pics, so I'll just describe them

the first is the Story URLs for Anthology popup, showing only 20 urls found.

the second image is the alert showing that the rest of the works will be deleted from the anthology if I choose to update, because FFF didn't pull those URLs.
You don't need to host them anywhere. In Advanced mode for message entries, either click on the paperclip icon in the toolbar or the Manage Attachments button in Additional Options below the message entry box and attach your images to the message.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 05:44 PM   #9437
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzhands View Post
The series I'm updating has 47 works in it (example: https://archiveofourown.org/series/2579419; 3 pages of individual works). But when I attempt to update, FFF is only pulling in the first 20 works of the series -- just the URLs from page 1 .
I don't recall seeing paginated series on AO3 before.

As a general rule, FFF does not fetch multiple pages with 'Get Story URLs from Web Page' or 'Make Anthology Epub from Web Page'. It's 'Page' singular.

Partly to limit complexity and partly to limit users from deciding to download 100s or 1000s of stories at a time.

However, FFF already has specialized code for series on AO3 (aka OTW), so I will at least consider spinning pages for it.
JimmXinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2024, 06:01 PM   #9438
nan1923
nan1923 doesn't litternan1923 doesn't litter

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post

As a general rule, FFF does not fetch multiple pages with 'Get Story URLs from Web Page' or 'Make Anthology Epub from Web Page'. It's 'Page' singular.

Partly to limit complexity and partly to limit users from deciding to download 100s or 1000s of stories at a time.

However, FFF already has specialized code for series on AO3 (aka OTW), so I will at least consider spinning pages for it.
AO3 seems to have changed that today, all series with more than 20 stories are paginated now, I checked multiple I have in my bookmarks and downloaded.

I would really appreciate it, if you would spin pages for it. Even if it's probably only a problem for a handful of users.
And I use slow_down_sleep_time, I usually set it to 2 for ao3, for the odd series with 100+ stories I set it to 4, never had the Retry Later error page with that.

Yes I could use Get URLs from webpage for each page, then copy paste them into make anthology from urls and then add the new url in the right place when it gets updated.

But that would get old really fast since many authors add stories in the middle of a series.

examples:
https://archiveofourown.org/series/1683661
https://archiveofourown.org/series/1034549
https://archiveofourown.org/series/1533116

Last edited by nan1923; 04-01-2024 at 06:04 PM.
nan1923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 07:24 PM   #9439
jazzhands
jazzhands began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Well, new pagination would explain why I'm seeing this now.

I appreciate your consideration. Thanks for your reply.

Quote:

jazzhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 11:38 AM   #9440
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

New Test Version Posted

2024-04-02
- OTW(AO3) Support Paginated Series

Can be given /series/999 URL or one of the ?page=1 URLs, to the same effect. It looks for the highest page number(X) and fetches pages 1-X because OTW pagination doesn't show all pages for larger lists.
Advert
Old 04-02-2024, 01:56 PM   #9441
jazzhands
jazzhands began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thank you! I just tried with the example series from my initial post about this and it worked for me.

Quote:
New Test Version Posted

2024-04-02
- OTW(AO3) Support Paginated Series

Can be given /series/999 URL or one of the ?page=1 URLs, to the same effect. It looks for the highest page number(X) and fetches pages 1-X because OTW pagination doesn't show all pages for larger lists.
jazzhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 09:01 AM   #9442
nan1923
nan1923 doesn't litternan1923 doesn't litter

Device: none
Thanks!

I tried it with one of my example series and one of the 100+ stories series. Both were downloaded correctly
Only thing I noticed is that fetching links and downloading metadata for those paginated series takes longer then before it was paginated.
But the pagination itself should be the reason for that
nan1923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 10:48 AM   #9443
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Yes, having to fetch another page for every... page adds time.
Old 04-05-2024, 12:41 AM   #9444
Ser4nb2LUY6e
Connoisseur
Ser4nb2LUY6e began at the beginning.

Device: Moon+ Reader Pro on Android
Is there any way to make FFF more resiliant to temporary download errors?

With that I mean, if I'm downloading a 3000 chapter novel which takes half a day, I really don't care if there were 3 chapters that had a timeout or some other error and got skipped on this initial download and just left out.

It should just try again to download the missing chapters when I do an update.

But having the initial download fail after running for half a day and be left with nothing is really annoying.
Ser4nb2LUY6e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 01:03 AM   #9445
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Code:
## Because some adapters can pull chapter URLs from human posts, the
## odds of errors in the chapter URLs can be higher for some
## sites/stories.  You can set continue_on_chapter_error:true to
## continue on after failing to download a chapter and instead record
## an error message in the ebook for that chapter.
continue_on_chapter_error:false
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 03:25 AM   #9446
w4tchdoge
w4tchdoge began at the beginning.

Device: Calibre
Quote:
Cover settings are complex and have a wiki page to help explain them.

If you haven't read it yet, please see if that answers any of your questions.
I've re-read that wiki page once you mentioned it and I believe that I should be able to get what I want by adding in generate_cover_settings but since I'm not getting the outcome I'm expecting I can only conclude that I'm doing something wrong here.

My current FanFicFare Calibre Cover settings are as follows, and I have the "Allow generate_cover_settings from personal.ini to override" checked. I'm currently using this SV work for testing asand I have the following in my personal.ini:
Spoiler:
Code:
[https://forums.sufficientvelocity.com/threads/125749/]
#default_cover_image:https://forums.sufficientvelocity.com/data/threadmark-index-icons/h/73/73669.jpg?1702949553
generate_cover_settings:
 ${cover_image} => (specific|first|default) => SufficientVelocity

Unless I'm misinterpreting something in the wiki section about generate_cover_settings, I'd expect Generate Covers to run on this work using the preset I have defined in my personal.ini but it doesn't? Am I doing something wrong/missing something here? Any assistance/clarification is appreciated.
w4tchdoge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 10:56 AM   #9447
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by w4tchdoge View Post
I've re-read that wiki page once you mentioned it and I believe that I should be able to get what I want by adding in generate_cover_settings but since I'm not getting the outcome I'm expecting I can only conclude that I'm doing something wrong here.
Desired Actions

So just to double check, you want:
  1. GC run on SV, ignoring story cover images
  2. Use story cover images for other sites (RR/etc)
  3. Allow for specific individual stories to use cover images on SV

Yes, Always vs Yes, Unless

I think the setting you're misinterpreting is Generate Calibre Cover.

When you have Generate Calibre Cover: Yes, unless FanFicFare found a cover image set, and a cover image is found, all Generate Cover settings, including generate_cover_settings, are ignored.

So if you want generate_cover_settings to be able to override story covers, you have to use Generate Calibre Cover: Yes, Always. Then you arrange things so that no GC setting is set for sites/stories where you do want the cover image.

The wiki section Generate Cover Plugin WITH Story Cover Image and WITHOUT is closest to what you want. Or at least, that's what I referred to.

Solution

The best way to do this depends on what else you have in your personal.ini, but here's one way:
  1. Set Generate Calibre Cover: Yes, Always
  2. Set generate_cover_settings to use your GC setting for SV
  3. Unset generate_cover_settings for specific stories
Code:
[forums.sufficientvelocity.com]
# or in [defaults], might be nicer if you want similar for other sites
generate_cover_settings:
 ${publisher}=>sufficientvelocity.com=>SufficientVelocity

[https://forums.sufficientvelocity.com/threads/daughter-of-the-white-moon.96253/]
# clear GC settings for this specific story, use story cover from site
generate_cover_settings:
There are myriad different ways to do the SV part. I chose one that could also be used in [defaults].

This assumes that you do not have GC settings chosen in the GUI either for Default or the specific site in question.

I also assume you have the radio button for Plugin Generate Cover checked (vs Calibre Generate Cover).

I found a different short SV story with a cover image to use as the exception case so that your example will get the GC.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-05-2024, 09:11 PM   #9448
w4tchdoge
w4tchdoge began at the beginning.

Device: Calibre
Ah, I see where I messed up now.

I had previously tried Generate Calibre Cover: Yes, Always which did everything I wanted when it came to the XenForo works I had, but it also replaced the author-provided covers for Scribble Hub as I had GC set to generate Scribble Hub covers in the GUI. I had forgotten that I can unset it from the GUI and add it in the ini file as ${cover_image} => ((first)|(default)|(^$)) => ScribbleHub which would keep the author-provided covers but use GC for the default ones.

Thank you for being so helpful and I'm sorry for wasting your time with something this trivial.
w4tchdoge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 10:10 PM   #9449
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

No problem. Covers are excessively complicated.

Looking back, you described your problem well the first time, but I didn't have the cycles to parse it then, sorry.
Old 04-08-2024, 07:30 PM   #9450
ChaoticAdventure
ChaoticAdventure began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre
Hey, I have a small troubleshooting issue. Hopefully this is the right place to put this. If not, please redirect me, and I apologize!

I am trying to add a category tag, "TestCat", to every fic I download. So I put it under defaults in my personal.ini like this, alongside the character and ship tags:

[defaults]
extracategories:TestCat
extracharacters:TestChar
extraships:Test/Ship

The (test) characters and ships get added to every fic as they should, and so do the tags I have listed under extratags later on, but for some reason extracategories does not work, no matter what I put in there (I tried lots of test words to see if my replace_metadata or exclude was blocking it, but no dice). Is there a reason anyone might know of that this would be the case?
I thought it might be the custom column I use for categories, but both ships and characters use the same type of custom column (values like tags), and both of them were able to add things no problem.
Thanks in advance.
ChaoticAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fanfiction