Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-07-2014, 12:26 PM   #1
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Help Me Shop

I'm thinking of an eink screen reader with a micro SD card slot. A device that strictly loads material from my computer. Wifi capability is not required; if it is included I just won't use it. And I'd like to use the device out of the box without registering anywhere and without establishing an account that I never intend to use.

Does such a thing exist? Can a person have an ereader that's COMPLETELY off the grid?
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 12:47 PM   #2
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Once upon a time, the Sony would have done that. I used my PRS-T1 for quite some time without registering it to the Sony store or for ADE and would just sideload stuff onto the SD card.

I did eventually break down and sign into the Reader Store just to see what it would be like to "shop" directly from the device. But aside from that, it did pretty much work exactly the way you describe.

No idea which non-defunct brands would do it now, though (PocketBook?).
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2014, 01:47 PM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moved to the "Which one should I buy" forum.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 10:36 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Most of the Kobo devices have a micros SD card slot. Set up is supposed to require connecting to the Kobo site, but there are instruction for bypassing that. After the setup, there is no need to connect to the Kobo store at all.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 11:05 PM   #5
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
What you can do during set up is to register the kobo to a fake email address and skip the banking details. Kobo do not check the address so have no idea it's fake. Make a note of what it is the afterwards go to the kobo website sign in with the email address and delete it. That way your kobo is registered but you can't buy books with it. Or you could leave it registered to the fake email address, you just wouldn't be able to use it to buy books as you haven't added payments details and you won't be bothered by emails from kobo.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2014, 11:22 PM   #6
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I don't think anybody currently has an ereader out there that does not require registering it with the parent company. However, after that, you can turn the wifi off and not worry about it.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 12:10 AM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
For something that doesn't need registration one might want to look into some of the non-retailer affiliated devices like Bookeen and Pocketbook.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 04:06 AM   #8
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
Onyx, Hanvon?
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 07:20 AM   #9
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

JosieB and Tarana are right, of course. I already use my NOOK Simple Touch without turning the wifi on, and at this point I could close the B&N account completely and see no impact.

So I will use this device (and a spare!) until the batteries give out. That could be a long time! I hope someone will still be making eink displays at that point, because I really don't want to read from a backlit screen.

Thanks all for your help.
Old 11-08-2014, 05:31 PM   #10
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
JosieB and Tarana are right, of course. I already use my NOOK Simple Touch without turning the wifi on, and at this point I could close the B&N account completely and see no impact.

So I will use this device (and a spare!) until the batteries give out. That could be a long time! I hope someone will still be making eink displays at that point, because I really don't want to read from a backlit screen.
I like the Nook Simple Touches. Comfortable to hold and good fonts. Currently, at any rate, you can still buy replacement batteries for the NSTs -- I don't know if that'll still be true by the time your batteries wear out, however.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 12:42 AM   #11
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
The Kindle does not require signing in. When you first turn it on, if you refuse to connect to WiFi it will pop up with an error-connecting and ask if you want to login later. Then it will drop you down to the main UI and never bug you again.

Unlike the Kobo there is no need to connect to the computer for the initial setup in order to avoid logging in.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 12:54 PM   #12
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
The Kindle does not require signing in. When you first turn it on, if you refuse to connect to WiFi it will pop up with an error-connecting and ask if you want to login later. Then it will drop you down to the main UI and never bug you again.

Unlike the Kobo there is no need to connect to the computer for the initial setup in order to avoid logging in.
Well, that sounds good. I know the NOOKs don't work properly until after they've called home to the mothership.

Still, all my stuff is in epub! That would be a lot of conversion work to do!
Old 11-11-2014, 02:22 PM   #13
Lyn2012
Addict
Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPhone 8, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I did this with my PW1 then the clock never kept correct time and I couldn't use collections both of which (for me) were completely unacceptable.
Lyn2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 02:42 PM   #14
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
Well, that sounds good. I know the NOOKs don't work properly until after they've called home to the mothership.

Still, all my stuff is in epub! That would be a lot of conversion work to do!
That would be a whole lot of "leave the computer running overnight with a batched job running".
Old 11-11-2014, 02:46 PM   #15
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn2012 View Post
I did this with my PW1 then the clock never kept correct time and I couldn't use collections both of which (for me) were completely unacceptable.
There is that timekeeping bug, yes. (Only when you reboot the Kindle without then connecting to WiFi, and seemingly only a random subset thereof.)

TBH, most people who don't want to connect over WiFi are the type to also jailbreak and use the BBB (Block Big Brother) Firewall.
(The other option is they just don't have WiFi, but the OP seems to be the former type. )

Those same people would also use the KUAL Datetime button to set the clock off public timeservers instead of Amazon.

Collections are a mess for so many reasons it's not even funny -- that is why there are TWO collections hacks: Collections Manager Kindlet, and LibrarianSync. Both of which integrate with a calibre plugin. Both of which merrily ignore the Kindle directive that says you are unregistered, and update cc.db anyway.

Last edited by eschwartz; 11-11-2014 at 02:50 PM.