Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-05-2011, 09:31 AM   #121
teadonkey
Zealot
teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
Umm. Well, my definition of UF may vary from someone else's but basically it's fantasy and/or paranormal set in an urban setting and with minimal romance/sex. Or at least sex/romance isn't the main focus.
I switched to Shelfari because Goodreads wasn't doing it for me. It takes the right mindset though - a few times I've gotten lazy and haven't updated it. But I am having more fun with Shelfari than with Goodreads.
I'm kind of just becoming aware that there are so many of these little subgenres in the bigger genres. I only learned the difference between 'mystery' and 'cozy mystery' around a year ago, so I'm finding it interesting to learn the different genres. I'm a nerd.

I saw that news post about Shelfari and I'm looking into it! Since I use Amazon/own a Kindle/shopped on Amazon for books pre-Kindle, I like the integration idea, but the security worries me? But it looks like a really neat site! I might give it a try and see how I like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyric39 View Post
PS Just finished "One Bad Apple (An Orchard Mystery) by Sheila Connolly just starting the next book in the series "Rotton to the Core". has anyone else read this series?
lyric39
I have not, but One Bad Apple is in my wishlist! I may end up saving it for closer to the end of summer, though. I pick apples and make apple butter, so I think it'd be fun to read an apple-y book or two around that time. (;
teadonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 12:56 PM   #122
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
PS Just finished "One Bad Apple (An Orchard Mystery) by Sheila Connolly just starting the next book in the series "Rotton to the Core". has anyone else read this series?
lyric39
Read it and loved it! Meg Corey is one of my favorite characters. Yes, I have a lot of favorites, LOL.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2011, 07:57 PM   #123
teadonkey
Zealot
teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
Has anybody read the Hope Street Mysteries? I was just jumping random author sites and stumbled on it.
teadonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:37 PM   #124
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teadonkey View Post
Has anybody read the Hope Street Mysteries? I was just jumping random author sites and stumbled on it.
They're on my threatening-to-topple TBR mountain.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:04 AM   #125
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Eco Eclipse, Sony PRS 350 (pink), Ipod Touch, Kindle Touch
Thanks for the list Shel, I've been told about so many good authors since I joined this forum that I'll never get through them in one lifetime, add that to all the quilts I have to make I'll need about 4 lifetimes to do half of it all.

Anne
amward is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2011, 04:50 AM   #126
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Yes, I've already read it and I liked it. The 4th book is in my TBR, waiting its turn.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:03 AM   #127
lyric39
lyric39
lyric39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: elonex 621eb
something different

Hi I've just stumbled onto something that looks really interesting, I've just started it and it's got me intrigued. It's called "The book of lost things" by John Connolly. Here's a link to tell you a bit more about it http://www.thebookoflostthings.com/
lyric39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:34 AM   #128
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Would you folks consider the "Miss Julia" series to qualify? There aren't murders, but the setup is pure "cozy".
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:07 PM   #129
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel

Quote:
Hi I've just stumbled onto something that looks really interesting, I've just started it and it's got me intrigued. It's called "The book of lost things" by John Connolly. Here's a link to tell you a bit more about it http://www.thebookoflostthings.com/
This is on my still threatening to topple TBR. Good thing it's ebooks....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
Would you folks consider the "Miss Julia" series to qualify? There aren't murders, but the setup is pure "cozy".
Yep, Miss Julia is Cozy.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:23 PM   #130
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just got back from the library where A Truth for a Truth and Poison Ivory were waiting. However ... I'd just started Cat Sitter Among the Pigeons!
Old 02-11-2011, 06:38 PM   #131
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
I just got back from the library where A Truth for a Truth and Poison Ivory were waiting. However ... I'd just started Cat Sitter Among the Pigeons!
Sounds like you'll be occupied for a while! Enjoy
Old 02-12-2011, 08:16 PM   #132
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
I'm working my way through Miranda James' Murder Past Due -- "A Cat in the Stacks" mystery. I confess I find the story a bit heavy going because the style is so light-weight. Is it possible to be a little too cozy? Everyone is so sticky-sweet gosh-darn nice here in the small town of Athena, Mississippi where part-time librarian Charlie Harris lives with a Maine coon cat named Diesel. It might make a pleasant TV movie for the Hallmark Channel ....

For me, "cozy" means an amateur sleuth, a small town setting, an absence of terror or gore but still an engaging puzzle, believable characters and a writing style that's comfy but not simple-minded. Even comfort food is improved with a little hot sauce!
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:07 PM   #133
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Eco Eclipse, Sony PRS 350 (pink), Ipod Touch, Kindle Touch
I agree SensualPoet, some of it does get a bit sugary. A bit like the Elm Tree quilt novels a lot of my friends love, just a bit too twee for me to really enjoy. It may be cozy but it's got to have enough mystery and a bit of oomph as well as being well written.
amward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 10:01 PM   #134
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?

You might prefer Miranda James' work under his own name, Dean James: Posted to Death: a Simon Kirby-Jones Mystery?

Meanwhile, with "Cat Sitter Among the Pigeons" the pet-sitting is quite incidental to the story; the plot itself is a bit of a strain on credulity at times.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:33 PM   #135
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?

Bumping the thread to report that A Truth for a Truth is probably better than the previous book in the "Ministry is Murder" series. I think most readers can identify with the protagonist, Aggie Sloan-Wilcox; she's Unitarian, so don't be concerned that the books are "overly religious" in some way.