Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-06-2011, 06:35 AM   #31
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
@chaley, your explanation was extremely helpful and not at all pedantic. I'd been thinking in too linear a mode. I hope I'm getting it. To restate to make sure I understand:

Abstract Breeder generates itself on the fly when User tells it to fetch a foreign format (which it adopts) or birth a new format. User asks Breeder who asks it's cousin MetadataHandler to associate external or internal bookMetadata with 0 to n format children living in an abstract Book in an abstract Library. Thus generating a new or changing an old bookConcept that doesn't really exist except in mind of User. What really exists is a formatfile with metadata in it or associated with it, a formatfile without metadata, or a metadata set without a formatfile.

Wow. I feel like I just ran uphill 5 miles with a 50 pound pack on my back.
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:23 PM   #32
Debby
Connoisseur
Debby will become famous soon enoughDebby will become famous soon enoughDebby will become famous soon enoughDebby will become famous soon enoughDebby will become famous soon enoughDebby will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook, Sony & ipad
I created a CVS file of my Calibre library (via convertbooks) and would like to make changes to the metadata. Specifically: tags, title name, summary, etc. Can I then reimport that list back into Calibre?

I think this is different from what this post was originally discussing as the books and are all in the database and I want to update my existing library. Or have I misunderstood?

Thank you!
Debby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2011, 12:33 PM   #33
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
No, you can't. At least not with Calibre alone. With some additional scripting, it should be possible- use the calibredb command to update the metadata.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:23 PM   #34
Debby
Connoisseur
Debby will become famous soon enoughDebby will become famous soon enoughDebby will become famous soon enoughDebby will become famous soon enoughDebby will become famous soon enoughDebby will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook, Sony & ipad
Would you mind pointing me to the correct command(s)? There is not a specific command listed for “updating” and I am uncertain which one makes the most sense. Most of my confusion is around what actually updates Metadata. So, in attempt to see if I am understanding…….
If I add a format, doesn’t that also that update the metadata? In the export section there is a --dont-update-metadata
Is --update-metadata a valid command? I suppose that would be too easy

Or do I use set_Metadata and use field names? If I do that do I just add the ones I changed?
--fields title, comments, tags, series_index, series

Another option would be to add --duplicates, -d But, does that update the metadata?

If I understood the first part of the post, I use the correct code in a .bat file (pointing it to the caliber spreadsheet). Since I am only using the existing variable names I do not need to concatenate data. Am I at least heading in the correct direction?

Thanks.....
Debby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:32 PM   #35
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Have a look at this if you want to update the metadata inside the Calibre database.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert