Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 11-23-2010, 12:04 PM   #16
katzki
Zealot
katzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enough

Device: sony prs 650
Maybe, it's because AFM is a freeware that is pre-installed by PB people?
I mean they just pre-installed it as it is freeware although it has ad banners...
Simply it's not their firmware...
katzki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 12:17 PM   #17
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
between this issue and the pocketbook rep's tacit admission that their software isn't likely to run well on the IQ anytime soon, I'm going to take a pass on it.

disappointing

here's the relevant issue for pocketbook since we've rolled to a new page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedtouch View Post
The IQ definitely has adware and possibly has malware.

I went to the Android File Manager (AFM) just to check it out. As soon as it opened there was a small popup in the upper left corner of the screen with a bunch of Chinese characters. Pressing that popup sent me to a download screen. Thankfully (I guess) the file was too large to download. (Malware?) So I pressed Back to go back to the AFM. There I was greeted with a different Chinese popup. This time when I pressed it, it again went to the download screen and informed me the content is not supported on this phone.

I also noticed some adware at the bottom of AFM. See the ad "Four Steps to God"? Pressing that ad took me to the 4stepstogod.mobi website. I pressed Back and a new Chinese ad was there, so I pressed it and was taken to some website to download something that was in 1.0beta status. Who knows what that means.

PocketBook, what's going on here?
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2010, 01:16 PM   #18
speedtouch
eBook Newbie
speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
I should say I haven't found any evidence of malware other than the Chinese adware crap on the Android File Manager. Whenever I see Chinese characters I worry, that whole nation's network is one malware infested pit. If this really is just innocent adware bundled with AFM, then it's probably nothing to worry about. But still, Chinese adware is not the safest of adware out there.
speedtouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 01:18 PM   #19
speedtouch
eBook Newbie
speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
yes its probably from one of the installed apps . ill see if i can find out which.
Thanks, Dulin. Hopefully between you and the GIK we can get this adware out of the IQ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
between this issue and the pocketbook rep's tacit admission that their software isn't likely to run well on the IQ anytime soon, I'm going to take a pass on it.
Well, I'll be keeping the device. I really do like it and it's nice to have a tablet around the house since we only have a desktop PC, no laptop. I'll be updating everyone on my successes and failures with the IQ as time goes along.

Last edited by speedtouch; 11-23-2010 at 01:22 PM.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:36 PM   #20
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Thanks, Dulin. Hopefully between you and the GIK we can get this adware out of the IQ.

Well, I'll be keeping the device. I really do like it and it's nice to have a tablet around the house since we only have a desktop PC, no laptop. I'll be updating everyone on my successes and failures with the IQ as time goes along.
It's the AFM. It's adware. I told the GIK about it already. You can get rid of it easily enough by deinstalling. Please make sure to install a really free file manager, though. Sorry for the oversight, but please be assured that there's no malware on board,
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2010, 01:47 PM   #21
speedtouch
eBook Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
It's the AFM. It's adware. I told the GIK about it already. You can get rid of it easily enough by deinstalling. Please make sure to install a really free file manager, though. Sorry for the oversight, but please be assured that there's no malware on board,
OK, thanks for confirming. That's reassuring. Maybe the GIK can roll out a truly free file manager in the next installment of the firmware. Thanks for the clarification!
Old 11-23-2010, 04:16 PM   #22
Icewyng
Addict
Icewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura about

Device: Pocketbook 301+, Pocketbook IQ
No problem for the ad blocker... did you install it? and how did it do for the IQ?

Also, you could try AppBrain. It is an alternate market for Android devices and it is loaded with quality apps. Perhaps there would be a good replacement for the file manager in there (I hear Astro File Manager is a good one, although it might be ad-supported as well). Another alternate market you could try is SlideMe.
Icewyng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 04:46 PM   #23
speedtouch
eBook Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icewyng View Post
No problem for the ad blocker... did you install it? and how did it do for the IQ?

Also, you could try AppBrain. It is an alternate market for Android devices and it is loaded with quality apps. Perhaps there would be a good replacement for the file manager in there (I hear Astro File Manager is a good one, although it might be ad-supported as well). Another alternate market you could try is SlideMe.
Haven't tried it yet. I will look into AppBrain and SlideMe, thank you. I think I need a basic How To for Android. Never worked with it before.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:55 PM   #24
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Slideme comes installed on the IQ just look in the programs. along with "androidappclients" which links you to several other app markets
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 05:03 PM   #25
speedtouch
eBook Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
Slideme comes installed on the IQ just look in the programs. along with "androidappclients" which links you to several other app markets
Ahhhh, thank you Dulin.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:09 PM   #26
Icewyng
Addict
Icewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura about

Device: Pocketbook 301+, Pocketbook IQ
Quote:
Haven't tried it yet. I will look into AppBrain and SlideMe, thank you. I think I need a basic How To for Android. Never worked with it before.
It can be quite confusing at first, I agree. If you are looking for places that could help out, here is 2 websites that I find useful:

Android Tablets.net
SlateDroid

I have learned a lot with these 2 sites. Also, XDA is great but it is more for developers.

And about the keyboard... you could try Thumb Keyboard?
Icewyng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:28 PM   #27
MmavisO
Seeker
MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus TF, PB 360, Jetbook Lite
Quote:
When I look at the firmware version it just says Eclair. Other than that i have no other version information.

Thanks, GA Russell!
I do NOT have the Nov. 20 firmware, but mine also says Eclair for the version. I do have the adware (but not for long, I hope.)
MmavisO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 01:19 AM   #28
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by MmavisO View Post
I do NOT have the Nov. 20 firmware, but mine also says Eclair for the version. I do have the adware (but not for long, I hope.)
self help: just deinstall AFM and install this one:

http://www.androidfreeware.net/get-file-manager.html

Sorry for the problem
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 10:50 AM   #29
speedtouch
eBook Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icewyng View Post
It can be quite confusing at first, I agree. If you are looking for places that could help out, here is 2 websites that I find useful:

Android Tablets.net
SlateDroid

I have learned a lot with these 2 sites. Also, XDA is great but it is more for developers.

And about the keyboard... you could try Thumb Keyboard?
That's a huge help. Thank you. As far as mobile OSes go, I only know webOS which is ridiculously simple and easy to manage. Android appears to be a little more complicated and not as intuitive, but I'm sure it's just as powerful. I just need to spend some time with those forums you mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
self help: just deinstall AFM and install this one:

http://www.androidfreeware.net/get-file-manager.html

Sorry for the problem
Thank you, I'll try that this evening. Will the next firmware update install a non-adware file manager?
Old 11-24-2010, 10:55 AM   #30
Nightwish
Nightwish began at the beginning.

Device: none
So, how is it for a cheap reader? It seems nice to me since it can properly support PDFs, unlike the cheaper eInk devices, and having Android for me to dabble is nice since (good) smartphones aren't affordable.
Nightwish is offline   Reply With Quote