Notices

Old 01-21-2024, 07:40 AM   #1
Jacques Q.
Connoisseur
Jacques Q. began at the beginning.

Device: quite a few Kindles...
name of EPub files

Hello.
The newly implemented policy of Amazon not to accept Mobi files any more creates some added difficulties about Calibre.
First, if I download a book whose metadata are somehow incorrect (like capital letters missing in the title), not only do I have to change that, but also to "polish" the book and cancel the original EPub. OK, I can live with that.
But second, if I want to send the EPub file to the Amazon cloud by email (which I have to do since the SendToKindle "standalone" Windows version doesn't work any more, and the online one will positively not do things properly regarding the metadata that will show on the device), every single time I have to change the name of the file from "Title of the book (possibly shortened) - Author.epub" to "Title of the book in full.epub" so that it will appear under the correct shape on the other end (with full title and no author's name, the author's title being sent in parallel anyway).
Now, is there a possibility that files get stored right away as "Title of the book in full.epub" right away, without having to change it before sending the book to the Amazon cloud ? It would be even better if the file name retained such letters as "é" or "ñ" instead of editing them to "e" or "n", but I guess that would be too much to ask.
Thanks a lot if someone can help with this (admittedly small, but time-consuming) issue.

Last edited by Jacques Q.; 01-21-2024 at 07:44 AM.
Jacques Q. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 08:11 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you use Send-to-disk, you can setup the filename template however you want. So you could get the full filename.

For example, you could use {author} - {title} and that would give you author name and the full title.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 04:17 AM   #3
Jacques Q.
Connoisseur

Thanks. I didn't know about this, I'll give it a try. Calibre is such a great software, but sometimes it would require a full-time technician in order to learn how to operate it correctly and with precise knowledge of its features !
Old 01-23-2024, 05:27 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Q. View Post
Thanks. I didn't know about this, I'll give it a try. Calibre is such a great software, but sometimes it would require a full-time technician in order to learn how to operate it correctly and with precise knowledge of its features !
That's why you keep up-to-date on the MR.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 10:49 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Except, in THIS case, the basic Send to Disk template shown has been there for over a decade (it does have more options now).

Explore the context menus (right-click). Many have Change case ( Cambiar caso ?) near the bottom
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 11:46 AM   #6
Jacques Q.
Connoisseur

Hmm... Now I will look REALLY dumb... "Send to disk" happens when right-clicking on the title of a book, right ? But then I cannot see any possibility to "adjust" the way it will be sent - i.e. "Title [full]" instead of "Title [possibly shortened] - Author". How do I achieve that ?

Last edited by Jacques Q.; 01-25-2024 at 11:51 AM.
Old 01-25-2024, 11:48 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Q. View Post
Hmm... Now I will look REALLY dumb... I cannot find anything even remotely reminisent of "save to disk" or its French equivalent in any menu, including when right-clicking every possible item and including checking the menu bar icons that I do not usually use. Where is it ?...
The default icon is a Floppy disk.
Remember, Calibre menus change, depending on whether a device is connected or not.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote