Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 12-04-2013, 05:09 AM   #16
adrianf
Enthusiast
adrianf knows what time it isadrianf knows what time it isadrianf knows what time it isadrianf knows what time it isadrianf knows what time it isadrianf knows what time it isadrianf knows what time it isadrianf knows what time it isadrianf knows what time it isadrianf knows what time it isadrianf knows what time it is

Device: iPad+MacBookPro
So how can I transfer my books from the amazon app for the OS X to Calibre?

I still do not understand how to transfer my amazon-for-the OS-X books to calibre? I had for years an amazon account and the amazon app for the OS X.
Many thanks for your help

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
If you are adding books to calibre from a device, then you can simply go to the device listing on calibre (once it connects to your device) select books and right-click and choose "add to library"
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscarbo View Post
To elaborate on pdurrant's reply, even if the book is free you can't download from Amazon without an Amazon account, so if you don't have one you need to open one. Next, you need to establish a one-click payment method either by associating a credit card or buying an Amazon gift card. For more info about this requirement, see this customer discussion thread on the Amazon forums: http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle?_...TxBULDTN0JLOX0

Once you have your account set up, you need to register a Kindle device or Kindle reading app to your account. If you don't have a Kindle device, download one of these apps depending on which device you plan to use to read your Kindle books: http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000493771

Once you have an account and a registered device or app, you can browse and download Kindle ebooks from the device or app or you can download to your pc and transfer by usb.

If you plan to use Calibre to store and/or read them, you should download them to your pc then add them to your Calibre library. It may sound complicated if you've never done it before, but it's all very simple and easy. Enjoy your Kindle books!
adrianf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:25 AM   #17
adrianf
Enthusiast
adrianf knows what time it isadrianf knows what time it isadrianf knows what time it isadrianf knows what time it isadrianf knows what time it isadrianf knows what time it isadrianf knows what time it isadrianf knows what time it isadrianf knows what time it isadrianf knows what time it isadrianf knows what time it is

This does not apply to the Apple OS X situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'd suggest installing Kindle for PC/Mac, and downloading the books there. You'll then find them in the "My Kindle Content" folder on the PC/Mac, from where they're easy to transfer to Calibre.

My "workflow" is:

1. Buy book on Amazon web site and send to Kindle for PC.
2. Open Kindle for PC (which downloads the book).
3. Drag and drop the book from "My Documents\My Kindle Content" onto the Calibre window, to import it into Calibre (in the process of which the tools-that-must-not-be-mentioned transparently strip the DRM).
4. Send it from Calibre to whatever device I want to read it on.
The sub-folder "My Kindle Content" does not exist in "Documents" nor anywhere else.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:48 AM   #18
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianf View Post
The sub-folder "My Kindle Content" does not exist in "Documents" nor anywhere else.
Look in the Kindle for Mac preferences dialog. There's a bit in there that tells you where that folder is, and also allows you to choose a new location. It may not be called exactly "My Kindle Content", but it's close. (I'm not at a Mac to check.)
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:03 AM   #19
adrianf
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Look in the Kindle for Mac preferences dialog. There's a bit in there that tells you where that folder is, and also allows you to choose a new location. It may not be called exactly "My Kindle Content", but it's close. (I'm not at a Mac to check.)
Many thanks for the hint. I imported all my 149 amazon books into Calibre, however, I could open only 10 out of all those 149 books as the rest were DRM blocked. Apart from any copyrights politics and the Calibre policy, I wonder whether Calibre can be of any use in reading amazon books. Any advice about how to DRM-unblock the amazon books for which use I have already paid?
Many thanks for any advice
Old 12-04-2013, 11:03 AM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Apprentice Alf is your friend. Google for it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:35 AM   #21
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
The 'Open With' Plugin should be able to be configured to pass the book to an Amazon Authorized viewer on your PC.

There is no magic bullet to determine if that viewer is needed.
You could add a DRM tag and then use Preferences: Look and Feel: Column Coloring
to color something (the Title?) if the Tag 'DRM' was present

You will have to determine this (DRM infestation) by hand, the Quality Check PI only has an EPUB DRM test
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:00 PM   #22
adrianf
Enthusiast

Quote:
Apprentice Alf is your friend. Google for it.
Many, many thanks, dear Harry.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:37 PM   #23
cllvt
cllvt began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
"Kindle for PC" runs on a PC. This is why it's called "Kindle for PC" - the clue is in the name.
However, Kindle for PC will not run on Linux at least without Wine or other workarounds that people have had mixed results with. I totally understand why a question like this would be asked. Seems like a rather cutting response.

I have Calbre on Linux, but without a Kindle PC for Linux I can't deliver the book to my computer.
cllvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:01 PM   #24
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cllvt View Post
However, Kindle for PC will not run on Linux at least without Wine or other workarounds that people have had mixed results with. I totally understand why a question like this would be asked. Seems like a rather cutting response.

I have Calbre on Linux, but without a Kindle PC for Linux I can't deliver the book to my computer.
In the context of the discussion, that was indeed the correct response. May I also point out that you have answered your own question -- run it in WINE. Last I heard it is quite stable.

Kudos to you for pointing out you need a linux solution.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 10:09 PM   #25
Citrux
Citrux began at the beginning.

Device: none
Yes, Kindle for PC runs on wine but getting Kindle to connect to Amazon through wine is a different matter.
Citrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 04:15 AM   #26
adrianf
Enthusiast

Calibre for macOS 10.14.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citrux View Post
Yes, Kindle for PC runs on wine but getting Kindle to connect to Amazon through wine is a different matter.

I started this thread a long time ago, when macOS was still called OS X, but, in the meantime, this thread has been taken over by people interested in using Calibre under Linux. Please start your own thread, it makes more sense to keep things separately.

I run now Calibre 3.41.3 under macOS 10.14.4
I can download a book from amazon into my Calibre application, but when I open the book to read it, the book opens in Kindle for macOS, instead of a Calibre window.

Can you please help? Many thanks in advance.
Old 04-23-2019, 04:58 AM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianf View Post
I run now Calibre 3.41.3 under macOS 10.14.4
I can download a book from amazon into my Calibre application, but when I open the book to read it, the book opens in Kindle for macOS, instead of a Calibre window.
Click the "Preferences" button, then click "Behaviour". In the "Use internal viewer for..." list ensure that the options for the appropriate file types are checked.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 05:10 AM   #28
adrianf
Enthusiast

Quote:
Click the "Preferences" button, then click "Behaviour". In the "Use internal viewer for..." list ensure that the options for the appropriate file types are checked.
Many thanks, dear HarryT, it did help. Very kind of you. Keep well.