Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-02-2009, 08:08 PM   #1
lisa.m
Enthusiast
lisa.m knows what time it islisa.m knows what time it islisa.m knows what time it islisa.m knows what time it islisa.m knows what time it islisa.m knows what time it islisa.m knows what time it islisa.m knows what time it islisa.m knows what time it islisa.m knows what time it islisa.m knows what time it is

Device: Kindle
Changing port number for dummies

I've searched the forum and it seems that I need to change the port number to 80 in order to access the server on my kindle. I can't change it manually within calibre so it seems I need to use the command line. I have NO idea how to do this.

I have calibre on my D drive if that makes a difference.

Thank you!
lisa.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:47 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I believe under windows it's not possible to set a port number less than 1024. In this case, you need to use your router to forward queries on port 80 to port 8080. Unfortunately, I'm down with the flu, so I dont have the mental acuity to help you right now. Hopefully, some one else will.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2009, 08:50 PM   #3
lisa.m
Enthusiast
lisa.m knows what time it islisa.m knows what time it islisa.m knows what time it islisa.m knows what time it islisa.m knows what time it islisa.m knows what time it islisa.m knows what time it islisa.m knows what time it islisa.m knows what time it islisa.m knows what time it islisa.m knows what time it is

Ahhh....at least now I don't feel as incapable. I can probably find out how to do the forwarding by searching the net.

Thanks Kovid, I hope you feel better soon!
Old 11-03-2009, 04:22 AM   #4
JvdW
Zealot
JvdW doesn't litterJvdW doesn't litter

Device: Palm T5, Sony PRS-505, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I believe under windows it's not possible to set a port number less than 1024. In this case, you need to use your router to forward queries on port 80 to port 8080. Unfortunately, I'm down with the flu, so I dont have the mental acuity to help you right now. Hopefully, some one else will.
It is probably not possible to set a port number below 1024 on any platform at the moment.
It would be logical to restrict portnumbers to >1024 on Unix where you would need root privileges to do that but on Windows port numbers below 1024 should't be a problem.

I had a look through the source and found the following in .\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\dialogs\config\config.u i
The limit is in config.ui where there is a minimum and maximum defined for the input field Server Port.

So currently there are three ways to overcome this:
  • wait for Kovid to get better and persuade him to lower the minimum
  • download the source of Calibre from sourceforge and change config.ui and copy it to the correct location in the installation folder and rename config_ui.pyo so that config.ui is picked up instead
  • figure out port forwarding, isn't to difficult depending on your router

About that forwarding. Don't go for the forward of port 80 on the outside to for example port 8080 on the inside.
Reason is port scanner will find your webserver and try all kinds of nasty things if found something responding to request on port 80. Its safer to forward 8080 on the outside to 8080 on the inside. This is ofcourse only possible if you're allowed to access 8080 from the wide world. Alot of companies restrict access to the outside world.

Regards,

Joop
JvdW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 05:05 PM   #5
lisa.m
Enthusiast

I played around with my router settings but couldn't really get it to work. I know just enough to be dangerous but not enough to get the job done. I'm very leery of opening up a port on my computer anyway so I think I'll just pass on using the virtual server.

It would be nice if I could upload the information to a website of my own that I could access from my kindle. I would love to have all of my book descriptions available whenever I need them.

Thank you for your help!
Advert