Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 10-20-2009, 07:12 PM   #1
bobcdy
Fanatic
bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bebook; prs-950; nook simple touch; HTC Jetstream tablet
Canadian copyright laws

I recently submitted an epub of the US pulp magazine, Astounding Stories, Jan. 1931. For a while it was on the Canadian site where I had sent it but today was moved by Patricia to offsite (probably to a US server). I want to respect Canadian laws - if I had suspected it was still copyrighted in Canada I would have emailed asking for this relocation. I think the reason for off-siting it is because one of the stories was written by a well-known author who died in 1975 but I'm not sure about the Canadian rules for magazine story copyrights. Does a magazine story copyright belong to the publisher or to the author?

If it belongs in all cases to the authors rather than the publisher, is it necessary to know the date of death of each story's author in order to determine Canadian copyright status of a magazine issue?

Bob
bobcdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 07:18 PM   #2
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Here's a link to the Canadian copyright laws. I need to get a moderator to make it a sticky...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57184

I have one for the US laws as well, but I have to find the link...

Mobile Read run more than one server so that various public domain books can be made available in the country where they are public domain in....

Here's the US Copyright thread...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53991

Last edited by Greg Anos; 10-20-2009 at 07:22 PM.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2009, 07:49 PM   #3
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
There's also a useful section and links on this page in our wiki:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Copyright#Copyright

Towards the bottom, there is a link to this informative article about Canadian copyright:
http://users.trytel.com/~pbkerr/copyright.html

I'm sorry, Bobcdy: I should have sent you a message to explain.

My reasoning was (as you correctly surmised) that one of the authors died in 1975. Canada is a life+50 years copyright country; therefore MR could not host the work on our Canadian server.

However, Project Gutenberg (your source) is meticulous in checking copyrights and follows US copyright law. If they can host the stories, then there should be no problem if we store them on our US server. It looks as though the US copyrights were not renewed.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:38 PM   #4
bobcdy
Fanatic
bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bebook; prs-950; nook simple touch; HTC Jetstream tablet
Patricia, Ralph,
Thanks for the info - with that from the urls, it's more than I can comprehend at this point! I am planning to submit the next Astounding Stories issue soon, and will include an email about relocating it to the US site.
Bob
bobcdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:05 PM   #5
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Keep on converting them.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2009, 08:35 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcdy View Post
Patricia, Ralph,
Thanks for the info - with that from the urls, it's more than I can comprehend at this point! I am planning to submit the next Astounding Stories issue soon, and will include an email about relocating it to the US site.
Bob
When you upload such a book, please simply click the "Report Post" button and say "Please move to US server".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:37 AM   #7
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcdy View Post
I am planning to submit the next Astounding Stories issue soon, and will include an email about relocating it to the US site.
Bob
There's no need for an email, bobcdy. Once you have uploaded the book, just press the "report post" button. This is the tiny exclamation mark in a small square box, next to the karma button, at the bottom left of each post.

Members can use the report post function for anything that needs moderator attention.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote