Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 03-19-2009, 02:32 PM   #1
Gomoto
Gomoto began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
Waterstones Ebook Quality

What are your comments on the Waterstones Ebook Quality

I bought my first book, Sniper One, from Waterstones recently and misspelling (perhaps ORC related?) seems to be quite a problem.

I redownloaded and doublechecked in Adobe DE, same misspelling.

Example: 20/367 vHlage (village)
(Would be nice if somebody could verify this error)

Regards
Gomoto

Last edited by Gomoto; 03-19-2009 at 04:57 PM.
Gomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 02:25 PM   #2
wchris
Book lover
wchris began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
I have purchase 4 books which have been fine
wchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2009, 04:06 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomoto View Post
What are your comments on the Waterstones Ebook Quality

I bought my first book, Sniper One, from Waterstones recently and misspelling (perhaps ORC related?) seems to be quite a problem.

I redownloaded and doublechecked in Adobe DE, same misspelling.

Example: 20/367 vHlage (village)
(Would be nice if somebody could verify this error)

Regards
Gomoto
Typical OCR error. Many eBooks are created by scanning and using OCR on the printed version of the book. Nothing to do with Waterstones - it's the publisher's fault.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 06:08 AM   #4
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Typical OCR error. Many eBooks are created by scanning and using OCR on the printed version of the book. Nothing to do with Waterstones - it's the publisher's fault.
And in my opinion at least they'll keep on doing it unless we complain and return the book every time. If we don't take action we condone their shoddy work, and deserve what we get.

regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 06:47 AM   #5
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505
I have bought several books from Waterstones and in each instance have had no problems. There has been the occasional typo or error, but no more than you see in physical books.
PieOPah is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2009, 07:23 AM   #6
lawrie
lawrie began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader 505
I bought a Ken Follet (The Pillars of the Earth ) book from WHSmiths and it had on average one misspelling a page.
These were from faulty OCR. For example, 'I'll' was always 'TH'
It was obvious that no human had read the book in e format.

I contacted the publishers (Pan Macmillan) who simply referred me to Smiths.

Smith's initial response was they had had a look at it and could not find any mistakes.

I sent an annoted list of mistakes from one chapter and they replied with thanks and a refund.

What worries me is that these books are cheap to produce, fail to meet basic quality control at times, yet still cost as much.
lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:48 AM   #7
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist
thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: my two eyes, KLiiK, Sony PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrie View Post
What worries me is that these books are cheap to produce, fail to meet basic quality control at times, yet still cost as much.
I don't know if it's just as cheap to produce but they certainly cost just about as much and actually sometimes quite a bit more! For one academic book, I can buy a new paperback version for US$30 but the ebook version is...guess what....US$99! Yes!

Luckily for me though, I haven't seen errors in academic ebooks. Perhaps quality control for academic publishers is a high priority for academic presses. And generally, I don't buy non-academic digital books because I only read them once. I borrow them from the library.
thibaulthalpern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:26 AM   #8
Gomoto
Gomoto began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
Update:

Waterstone handled the problems with my first ebook purchase professionally. This and the positve feedbacks from fellow forum members allow me to look forward to other waterstones ebook offerings.

I am quite happy about this result, because over here in germany, there is only a very limited list of english ebooks available from the local sellers.

P.S. my second waterstones purchase is a contender regarding ebook quality (no ORC errors, pleasing chapter heading design)

Last edited by Gomoto; 03-25-2009 at 06:39 AM.
Gomoto is offline   Reply With Quote