Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-03-2009, 09:43 PM   #1
gandor62
Connoisseur
gandor62 began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch, Ipad, Kindle 2
Metadata Filename Syntax

Has anyone got a list of syntax formats for obtaining Metadata info from file names.

I can not figure it out at all.

This is what I have

(?P<author>.+) - (?P<series>.+) -(?P<title>[^_]+) it dont work

Author Name - [Series 1] - Title [htm format]

Series is causing me the Problem. Over the years I renamed a lot of titles and didnt put a space between the series and series number ie (Founadtion03). I tried to just put it into series index and sort out series name later, but cant seperate them. Was also hoping I could get it to ignore the format [format]

Tried a few things but I have no idea. I tried to search for tooltips as it mentions in the Config box. Hopefully someone can help. I cant work it out from the Python expression on my own.
gandor62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:53 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
[code]
(?P<author>.+) - (?P<series>.+?)(?P<series_index>\d+) -(?P<title>[^_]+) it dont work

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 03-03-2009 at 10:20 PM.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2009, 09:57 PM   #3
gandor62
Connoisseur

Cheers. Thanks for that.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:43 PM   #4
gandor62
Connoisseur

So is there a web page or something that has more info or examples to use.

Like for example a syntax to solve this one from a file stored as

[series name] - series index - title (author)

Ive been playing with the python script, but very hard to understand when you want to get complicated. I was trying to retrieve the information and leave out brackets and such. I only have a few saved like this so I can do it manually but I was hoping for more pointers or the actual syntax would help my learning curve.

Last edited by gandor62; 03-04-2009 at 04:53 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:35 PM   #5
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Had the same problem. Found the following (linked from the XPath Tutorial) to be extremely helpful:
http://docs.python.org/library/re.html

It's pretty long, though, and it's hard to remember all the rules unless you use it frequently. I just keep the page open and refer to it every so often when playing with regular expressions in Calibre.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2009, 05:42 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That website is linked to in the config dialog itself
Old 03-04-2009, 06:04 PM   #7
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Lol, guess I just never noticed. Either that or Vista was acting up and won't open the links...

Hmm, for:
[series name] - series index - title (author)

Is this the correct syntax?
\[(?P<series>.+)\] - (?P<series_index>\d+) - (?P<title>.+) \((?P<author>.+)\)
Old 03-04-2009, 06:13 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

looks like but with regexps it's always best to test a little before using them
Old 03-04-2009, 06:42 PM   #9
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
looks like but with regexps it's always best to test a little before using them
Tell me about it. Spent a good portion of a 4-day weekend just debugging regexps in a PHP script I was working on.

Ok. So basically, Calibre follows all regexp rules in Python, correct? Only thing added was the named variables/matches? What's the complete list of matches?
<title>
<author>
<series>
<series_index>
<isbn> ?
Old 03-04-2009, 07:12 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

yeah the calibre regexp is a python regexp (python has support for named matches). The available names correspond to the fileds in the test portion of the config dialog.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:21 PM   #11
gandor62
Connoisseur

Kewl Thanks for that. I helps heaps, I can see how they are working now.. gives me a good start.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:05 PM   #12
turdette
turdette began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre Pro, Ipad
HELP!

I have been trying to figure out the coding for the following:

[series series number] title - suthor

Could anyone help me? I am using Calibre.

Thanks!
turdette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 04:38 PM   #13
ErikCartman
ErikCartman began at the beginning.

Device: Google G1
Question Stupid Question

Hi there,

I've seen that you understand these rules for correct filenamescans.

My collection of ebooks is very big so the scan have to work.
The difficulty therefore is that not all filenames have the same layout.

The ideal layout is:
Malcolm Gladwell - Blink - The power of thinking without thinking - 2005.pdf

<Author's> - <title> - <subtitle> - <year>.<fileformat>

Other books have for exmple 2 authors but now subtitle or no year.

How can I say calibre to detect the most things correct, so that i dosn't have to do all manual?

I would be very happy if somebody can give me a good solution

with respect
Erik
ErikCartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 04:48 PM   #14
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikCartman View Post
How can I say calibre to detect the most things correct, so that i dosn't have to do all manual?
It depends on the filename formats. There is no "best." This thread has many options.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 01:00 AM   #15
Partzz
Partzz began at the beginning.

Device: Blackberry
??? ??? Is there a Combo Save filename expression? Something that can generate a filename for AUTHOR - SERIES 00 - TITLE.ext and AUTHOR - TITLE.ext without having to re-enter for each individual group save? The postings in this forum look like Metadata Import only, but I didn't see a SAVE settings forum.
Partzz is offline   Reply With Quote