Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-20-2013, 08:17 AM   #1
Bookworm2013
Bookworm2013 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
Really Fed up with Kobo

Now that winter is just round the corner and it's time to curl up with a good book (or two) I got my Kobo out.

Tried to download a couple of previews. As usual the Kobo site was dead slow and stop - in fact, a snail could move faster!

Eventually, in syncs and informs me the previews are now in my library - which they appeared to be...but not on my Kobo ereader. Several syncs later and still nothing.

So, I decided to buy one of the books and see if it downloaded OK. Tried to make the purchase and get a message saying "unexpected error, try again later". Tried again and the same thing.

I bought my Kobo 18 months ago from W H Smith and never really had a problem purchasing books before apart from when the Kobo website went down.

My Kobo might not be the latest version but I did like it but feel I've wasted my money on a device that is quite good but the company itself all but useless.

Very disappointed and frustrated with Kobo
Bookworm2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:32 AM   #2
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
So are you asking for help or are you just venting?
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2013, 10:35 AM   #3
Bookworm2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
So are you asking for help or are you just venting?
A bit of both I think.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:55 AM   #4
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Telling us what model of Kobo you have might be a useful place to start. Then, perhaps, what troubleshooting steps you've taken already.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:01 AM   #5
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
You can buy your ebooks elsewhere, and still read them on your Kobo device. I have only purchased one ebook from Kobo and that was long before I purchased my Kobo AuraHDs.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2013, 11:04 AM   #6
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
OP mentions in the first post that it's the one with the "big button on the front" so I'm guessing that it's the original Kobo? Seems hard to believe since she only bought the reader 18 months ago. I would highly suggest getting a new reader. Either a Kobo or a Kindle would be fine. If you've got first gen tech you're going to have a pretty poor experience whether you have a Kobo or a Kindle.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:38 AM   #7
Bookworm2013

OK. Things are looking up

Just managed to buy a book

My Kobo is the Kobo Wireless eReader version 1.9.10 and usually I don't have any problems with it. I bought it in November 2011 - was being sold for £49.99 at W H Smiths at the time and since I'd never had an eReader before I thought I'd give it a try.

What I did was uninstall the Kobo desktop, reinstall it then downloaded the Kobo App (downloading the Kobo App which seems to be the latest thing was my son's suggestion - he's a bit of a computer geek - keeps my temperamental laptop working).

Seems to have done the trick. Decided to try and buy a book and it accepted my card no problem this time.

Maybe their site was having problems last night (was about 2am UK time when I tried to buy the book). Maybe that is not the best time to buy.

Anyway, happy bunny now - with a book to curl up with later tonight

Old 10-20-2013, 11:51 AM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I will admit to having had problems last night on the website too.

A rule of thumb seems to be to avoid the KoboBooks website Saturday evening (at least here in eastern Canada).
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 04:19 PM   #9
Bookworm2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I will admit to having had problems last night on the website too.

A rule of thumb seems to be to avoid the KoboBooks website Saturday evening (at least here in eastern Canada).
You could be right because the one other time I had a problem, about a year ago, it was at the weekend in the early hours (I'm a bit of a nightowl at the weekends) and it came up with something like "Can't process transaction -
try later".

Next day I tried again and no problem. Could be their servers get overloaded at certain times.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:47 PM   #10
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm2013 View Post
You could be right because the one other time I had a problem, about a year ago, it was at the weekend in the early hours (I'm a bit of a nightowl at the weekends) and it came up with something like "Can't process transaction -
try later".

Next day I tried again and no problem. Could be their servers get overloaded at certain times.
It could be that they be doing routine maintenance.
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 05:19 PM   #11
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
It could be that they ran out of Molson.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:39 AM   #12
Bookworm2013

So, off I went to bed, Kobo in hand, looking forward to reading a couple of chapters and discovered it had downloaded the cover page...and not much else.

Every page has the book title at the top and the chapter title at the bottom...and nothing inbetween.

I'm afraid my language was not becoming of a lady!!!

Should have checked it had downloaded OK beforehand.

Just checked the library on my PC - and the whole book is on there.

Just tried resyncing the ereader - didn't help so might have to reset it when I come home from work.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:16 AM   #13
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
OP mentions in the first post that it's the one with the "big button on the front" so I'm guessing that it's the original Kobo? Seems hard to believe since she only bought the reader 18 months ago. I would highly suggest getting a new reader. Either a Kobo or a Kindle would be fine. If you've got first gen tech you're going to have a pretty poor experience whether you have a Kobo or a Kindle.
Unfortunately I have to agree on this one. I bought an original WiFi last year and it worked fine, but then I had a syncing issue where when syncing it would re-download all the ebooks, not just the new ones. I contact Kobo, they said they were aware of the issue, 6-7 weeks later still had the same problem. I ended up returning it for a refund as it "didnt work as advertised" and provided email transcripts between Kobo and myself.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:30 PM   #14
Bookworm2013

I...give...up

Just did a factory reset.

Redownloaded all the books. The one I bought still has no text.

It's all on my PC so will have to read it on here. Defeats the object of the game though.

I wouldn't buy another Kobo in a million years after this.

Was in Tesco tonight and would have bought a Kindle except they were out of stock at the moment.

Annoyed, frustrated and disappointed. I haven't really had the good out of this thing - and I also have a nice cover which won't fit a Kindle.

If Kobo are really serious about being a competitor to Kindle, it's time they got their act together. Their Kobo Desktop is a complete waste of disk space because it's a hit or a miss if it works or not.

From what I read their Customer Services is anything but.

Well, they've lost a customer - and, next time I'm in town, I'll be going into W H Smith's as well and giving them an ear bashing.

Anyway, rant over and thank you all for your help and suggestions.

Now off to find a Kindle.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:39 PM   #15
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Not a Kobo fan myself, but cannot you sideload the book from your PC?

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote