Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 09-23-2013, 10:46 AM   #1
northstar7
northstar7 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Change opf filename from content.opf to title.opf

Hi. When the opf filename is the same as the title of the book, it makes it easier for me when I'm converting to Kindle or other formats.

I haven't noticed it before, but Sigil always outputs the opf file with the name "content.opf." There doesn't appear to be any place in Preferences to change this behavior.

Is there a way to change the way the opf file is named?

Thanks in advance.
northstar7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:24 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
There's no way to customize that in Sigil. You'd have to change it manually, outside of Sigil (the filename and its corresponding entry in the container file), and then properly zip everything back up.

You do have me curious, though, how changing the filename would affect the conversion to the Kindle format at all. Not that the name really matters much, but I've only really ever seen content.opf or package.opf being used, myself.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2013, 12:03 PM   #3
northstar7
northstar7 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
kindlegen and opf name

Hi. I've never had any problem converting books to kindle with opf files named with the title.

I usually build ebooks by writing HTML by hand or by visual basic programs and always name the opf file with the book's title.

When one is working on a large number of books, it's very convenient to name the opf file with the titles.

Unfortunately, Sigil doesn't permit renaming them. Changing it manually in container.xml and the opf file is no use. Sigil just reverts them both to "content.opf"

I rely on Sigil so completely, though, I'll just have to live with it.

Thanks for the info.
northstar7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 12:44 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar7 View Post
Hi. I've never had any problem converting books to kindle with opf files named with the title.
Didn't mean to suggest you might (or should).

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar7 View Post
Unfortunately, Sigil doesn't permit renaming them. Changing it manually in container.xml and the opf file is no use. Sigil just reverts them both to "content.opf"
Sorry. That's what I meant when I said you'd have to change them outside of Sigil. I just forgot to include the part about; "when you are all done editing and never intend to save it with Sigil again."

I'm still not following your process exactly, though. You say you your HTML by hand, but yet say you "rely on Sigil so completely." After writing your HTML by hand and then finishing everything off in Sigil, why not just use the resulting epub as the source (or master) document for all future edits/conversions? Then the name of the opf file would never really come into play.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 09-23-2013 at 12:51 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote