Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-29-2008, 10:26 PM   #211
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Suppose there was a DRM that, yes, did some of those things you didn't like... but in exchange, any book ever written was available to you, to read on any device you owned?

Would that be worth some mild discomfiture from DRM?
That depends on how annoying it would be. I mean not being able to translate content could mean that if someday I decided to get a new device that read a different DRM format then my 505, I would be screwed. That's where DRM is the biggest issue for me. I cannot predict the future and I don't want to risk losing my content.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 12:43 AM   #212
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Steve,

Mind your own tone. You're the one that came after me personally. You didn't have to do that. Don't be surprised when I respond.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2008, 03:41 AM   #213
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That depends on how annoying it would be. I mean not being able to translate content could mean that if someday I decided to get a new device that read a different DRM format then my 505, I would be screwed. That's where DRM is the biggest issue for me. I cannot predict the future and I don't want to risk losing my content.
But you're screwed anyway if you buy books from the Sony Store. They are pretty much alone now in having a book format which can't be converted.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 05:22 AM   #214
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I have a suggestion, rlauzon. Go get a copy of one of Robert Heinlein's manuscripts. (There's an online archive.) Buy one, and compare it to the published novel. After you do this, come back and tell me the publisher didn't add anything.
I think you've confused "publisher" with "editor".
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 05:28 AM   #215
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The fact is, however, that the vast majority of authors who publish independently regretably do not use editors. Editing is one of the services that publishers provide for authors.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2008, 08:54 AM   #216
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But you're screwed anyway if you buy books from the Sony Store. They are pretty much alone now in having a book format which can't be converted.
That is why I rarely purchase content from Sony. I purchase in formats I can convert to something else.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 09:22 AM   #217
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
Steve,

Mind your own tone. You're the one that came after me personally. You didn't have to do that. Don't be surprised when I respond.
Alisa, I apologize if my response came off as a personal attack... that was not my intention. I was challenging your assertion, not you personally.

I have no malice against anyone on these forums. (No. Really.) But I freely admit that, in the heat of debate, I sometimes phrase things too personally, even when I am trying to be as objective as I can. And I offer my apologies to everyone who has been the brunt of a too-personal comment of mine.

In my own defense, I will say that I am so often outright surprised by some of the comments I hear on this site (and again, I am not directing this at you, Alisa), that I sometimes lose my objectivity and clarity. But I'll try harder to steer an even keel in the future.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 09:36 AM   #218
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Jon, when I said "to read on any device you owned," I was sure that you'd understand that I meant in perpetuity. Anyway... I understand that you want to read your content on whatever, and I was trying to suggest a DRM that would apply to the ownership of the document, not its format. Supposedly, if e-books could be transacted in a format like ePub, that could be converted to your format/device of choice (and still retain whatever ownership data the device needed in order to open the file), anyone could buy an e-book and upload it to their device of choice, freely.

The two requirements of such a system would be:
  1. The media file would have to include the ownership data/code, in a place where the reading device could find it; and
  2. The reading device would only read media so coded with the ownership info.
Seems like a do-able solution, not hard to implement, easy for the consumer (assuming conversion tools are available for their device), and relatively secure enough for the producer. And as theory goes, if it's easy enough for everyone to use, there will be a minimum amount of hacking the system to bypass it.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drm, e-book, publishing