Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 03-01-2008, 01:37 PM   #1
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Something about the 'new' Secure Mobipocket ebooks.

My Cybook is NOT remembering where I left off in the ebook. That's right, no automatic 'bookmarking' of the 'last-page-read'. With the PRCs I've created using BD or with the Multiformat Mobipocket ebooks I've purchased at Fictionwise, the Cybook *will* remember where I left off reading - sometimes. But not with the newest Secure Mobipocket ebooks purchased at Fictionwise and Mobipocket.

Someone over at Baen's Bar said that those Secure Mobi ebooks with some sort of 'PX' code don't have this problem but those newer ones that use the 'OD' code do have the problem. Has anyone here noticed this?

I've sent off a note to Bookeen about it.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 01:42 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I don't think the "PX" and "OD" tags are involved, other than as a symptom. I believe they refer to which DRM server the ebook came from. PX is Mobipocket, OD is Overdrive. It is possible that an bug has crept into Mobipocket's servers and is causing this error you see.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2008, 03:23 PM   #3
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Check if your files system is corrupt or not. The symptoms you describe is consistent with a corrupt file system.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 06:51 PM   #4
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Check if your files system is corrupt or not. The symptoms you describe is consistent with a corrupt file system.
I've got 30 books installed, no other 'end-user' files; the unit is 'new' - less than 30 days old; I've not installed any custom fonts, etc.; I've always used Mobipocket Reader 6.1 to download the ebooks to the Cybook and I've been faithful about re-charging. It works fine except for the three titles just purchased. And all these are on the Cybook, not sitting on an SD card.

Plus, the Cybook has shown no other symptoms. I doubt it's a corrupt file system.

I have noticed that the ebooks *NOT* giving me problems get a similarly-named file with an mpb(sp?) extension, but not these three files. And just to be sure, I opened up one that I had just created using BookDesigner which did not have that extra file and upon closing, I saw it had (when examining via Windows and the USB port) the extra file.

Derek

Last edited by delphidb96; 03-01-2008 at 06:54 PM.
Old 03-01-2008, 06:57 PM   #5
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
I've got 30 books installed, no other 'end-user' files; the unit is 'new' - less than 30 days old; I've not installed any custom fonts, etc.; I've always used Mobipocket Reader 6.1 to download the ebooks to the Cybook and I've been faithful about re-charging. It works fine except for the three titles just purchased. And all these are on the Cybook, not sitting on an SD card.

Plus, the Cybook has shown no other symptoms. I doubt it's a corrupt file system.

I have noticed that the ebooks *NOT* giving me problems get a similarly-named file with an mpb(sp?) extension, but not these three files. And just to be sure, I opened up one that I had just created using BookDesigner which did not have that extra file and upon closing, I saw it had (when examining via Windows and the USB port) the extra file.
Well it is easy to check.

It seems that the files you have problem with is the last three files that have been added. And you need to eleiminate that factor.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2008, 08:11 PM   #6
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
Try deleting the .mpb file for these books. This file stores the bookmarking and page stop info. When you open the file again, it will be created again. Maybe this time, it will work properly.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 09:54 PM   #7
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfJulie View Post
Try deleting the .mpb file for these books. This file stores the bookmarking and page stop info. When you open the file again, it will be created again. Maybe this time, it will work properly.
Will do. It's *not* that much of a problem for two of the ebooks - but the third one doesn't use chapter numbers AT ALL. Strictly wordy chapter titles, and when I'm shutting down because I'm too sleepy to continue reading, I'm also too sleepy to remember what the chapter title is!

Derek
Old 03-02-2008, 03:57 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Curious - from what you've said, it does indeed sound like a problem with the books themselves.

One suggestion: if you have a Windows PC, register the books for the PID of the Windows Mobipocket Reader and see if that shows the same behaviour. If it does, the problem probably does lie with the books; if they work OK on the Windows reader, it sound like an issue specific to the Gen3.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 04:04 AM   #9
Tulkas
Enthusiast
Tulkas began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad, CyBook Gen3, iPod Touch, PB 360
I'm not so sure it's (always?) the book to be honest. I've hundreds of new DRM'd mobi books all which usually bookmark okay when Cybook powers or is powered down but occasionally don't. The trouble is I'm never able to replicate the issue after it's happened.

I read on another thread on this forum that exiting to library, if you intend to switch it off, always saves last page read position. The problem is my Cybook usually powers off itself as I'm collared to do some 'instant' chore by my wife

It doesn't help that page numbers aren't shown....

Last edited by Tulkas; 03-07-2008 at 04:10 AM.
Tulkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 01:54 PM   #10
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Curious - from what you've said, it does indeed sound like a problem with the books themselves.

One suggestion: if you have a Windows PC, register the books for the PID of the Windows Mobipocket Reader and see if that shows the same behaviour. If it does, the problem probably does lie with the books; if they work OK on the Windows reader, it sound like an issue specific to the Gen3.
They work okay. It IS an issue specific to the Gen3. However, the "can't remember" issue disappeared as soon as I moved all 77 ebooks to the \eBooks folder on the SD card.

But I made a mistake and moved *ALL* the files in the Cybook's \eBooks folder, including the 'mobipocket' PARAM file, leaving the \eBooks folder on the Gen3 empty. Bad move! Until I figured out, with suggestions from others here, to move that file *BACK* to that folder, the Gen3 couldn't remember what font family or size I had chosen. Every time I closed an ebook down and then opened it or another, the Gen3 would default right back to Verdana, size 4.

Yes, I've told Bookeen.

Derek