Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-05-2012, 01:45 AM   #16
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi, Oasis
After auto-add move original to specific folder ?

Hi All
Just a thought.
Instead of deleting files in watch folder, could we tell Calibre to MOVE the added files into an other folder ?

I've been doing the following, manually, for quite some time:
Files I want to add to Calibre are moved to a tmp folder
Once I've added these into Calibre, I manually move the files from the tmp folder to a "Sent to Calibre" folder.
Why ? I might mess up the original files hopelessly during conversions (done that a LOT of times), so I can always get the original from "Sent to Calibre folder" if needed.

Also I would be very carefull not to let Calibre sniff into K4PC folder and delete/move - could be tricky. I think.

Haven't tried the new feature yet, so ..

Have a nice weekend,
Per
pchrist7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 03:43 AM   #17
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Thank you! I love this feature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Then you shouldn't use a folder used by another program. Just create a unique drop folder where anything you drop in the folder will be added to calibre..
This.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2012, 08:52 AM   #18
sdow1
Connoisseur
sdow1 began at the beginning.

Device: nook, ipad
The perfect use for something like this seems to be (for me at least) when I use something like dotepub to create epubs from web content that I want to read later. Rather than saving to my desktop and then having to manually add to calibre, I now save to a folder on my desktop called "ebooks for calibre", and then *poof*, they're just in calibre without having to do ANY additional work. it's like magic.

I would agree that I wouldn't hook it up to something like my digital editions folder, as that contains not only ebooks that I wouldn't want deleted, but other adobe-related files (logs, etc.) that calibre shouldn't import whether or not they're deleted.
sdow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:54 AM   #19
mikaelalind
Fanatic
mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Cybook Odessey
Quote:
Then you shouldn't use a folder used by another program. Just create a unique drop folder where anything you drop in the folder will be added to calibre.

. I decided to stay away from ADE and K4PC create a new folder with two subfolders. One named backup, and the other named To add to Calibre. Works like a charm, plus I decluttered my Download folder. And I can easily backup all my e-books by copying the Backup folder to an USB.

Next up is deleting old library books from ADE. Something I haven't done in a long time..
mikaelalind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:44 PM   #20
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Love the new 0.8.38 Update

Quote:
Then you shouldn't use a folder used by another program. Just create a unique drop folder where anything you drop in the folder will be added to calibre.

This isn't normal adding of books. If you place a book in the folder for automatic adding to calibre then calibre owns the book as soon as it is added to the folder. Simple and low maintenance, drop the book in the folder and forget about it.

Just don't try to complicate things by using a folder not dedicated to the automatic adding feature.

I was just about to post these same recommendations when I read this post! As usual, good job dwanthny!

Last edited by alansplace; 02-05-2012 at 12:48 PM. Reason: fix syntax
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2012, 12:25 AM   #21
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
. If you place a book in the folder for automatic adding to calibre then calibre owns the book as soon as it is added to the folder. Simple and low maintenance, drop the book in the folder and forget about it.

Just don't try to complicate things by using a folder not dedicated to the automatic adding feature.
isn't that utterly pointless / no better/quicker than dropping the book directly onto main calibre window ( which is how I currently add books! )

why go via a dedicated intermediate folder at all ?
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:40 AM   #22
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Does this only work if you put books in the folder while Calibre is open? Or, does it search for things added to that folder at start-up?
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:15 AM   #23
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
isn't that utterly pointless / no better/quicker than dropping the book directly onto main calibre window ( which is how I currently add books! )

If you are sitting at your PC there may be no gain. However I can think of a number of scenarios where this might be useful to me:
- working on another machine where the folder is on a shared resource.
- having the folder in Dropbox so I can easily add books even if away from home.
However since both these scenarios mean I will have to have left Calibre running on a PC I am not sure how often they would actually apply.

I think that whether this feature is of any use to you is likely to depend on your workflow. It is obviously not a key requirement for most people or the feature would have arrived much earlier.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:26 AM   #24
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Does this only work if you put books in the folder while Calibre is open? Or, does it search for things added to that folder at start-up?
It searches at startup as well.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:42 AM   #25
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
However I can think of a number of scenarios where this might be useful to me:
- working on another machine where the folder is on a shared resource.
- having the folder in Dropbox so I can easily add books even if away from home.
However since both these scenarios mean I will have to have left Calibre running on a PC I am not sure how often they would actually apply.
Good examples and your scenarios don't require calibre to be on. Next time you run calibre it will look in your dropbox folder and add any books it finds. In essence the folder is an add books queue that you can use whenever you come across something you later want to add to calibre.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 03:34 AM   #26
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
It searches at startup as well.
Thanks, Kovid. This is a very cool option. I need to read up on how it handles duplicates (someone mentioned something above about it), but after I figure that out, I'm going to have to give this a try!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:38 AM   #27
Valkrider
Addict
Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, iPadAir2, PRS600, iPhone 6, iPod, Palm TX
This functionality doesn't seem to work if the books are in folders within the parent folder. Is this correct? Also if you add the same book in multiple formats it treats them as separate books, is this correct?
Valkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:08 AM   #28
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post

Not really.
Think about it
Your computer has the Calibre Library. Calibre currently only allows 1 computer to maintain the Library.

Someone else in your family has a book to add.

Previously, they had to bug you to add it so the content server could supply it to others.

NOW you can have Calibre monitor a folder, so you can set up a shared 'Book Drop' folder and anyone in the share group can make a deposit and have it appear in the Library.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:05 PM   #29
ClairePMR
Groupie
ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Color, Kindle, EB1150, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, Surface Pro 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardenman View Post
It would be nice to be able have more than folder for Calibre to add books from.
I agree - I have at least three source files based on where different providers put their materials - Sony, Kindle, etc... This would be an awesome addition to an extremely useful new function.

Thanks again, Kovid, for an outstanding tool!
ClairePMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:44 AM   #30
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkrider View Post
This functionality doesn't seem to work if the books are in folders within the parent folder. Is this correct? Also if you add the same book in multiple formats it treats them as separate books, is this correct?
Yes and yes.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, feature, updates