Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-04-2012, 10:19 AM   #1
alessandro_q
alessandro_q composes epic poetry in binary.alessandro_q composes epic poetry in binary.alessandro_q composes epic poetry in binary.alessandro_q composes epic poetry in binary.alessandro_q composes epic poetry in binary.alessandro_q composes epic poetry in binary.alessandro_q composes epic poetry in binary.alessandro_q composes epic poetry in binary.alessandro_q composes epic poetry in binary.alessandro_q composes epic poetry in binary.alessandro_q composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: Kindle 3
Post Upgrading From Kindle Keyboard

I've been using a Kindle Keyboard for over a year, and want to upgrade to something that will fit in my pocket. I particularly value the fact that I can download the mobi formatted files directly from instapaper using the Kindle Keyboard.

I played around with a Kobo Touch, but that was unable to download any of the files from the instapaper site, so I am considering either the basic Kindle 4 or the Kindle Touch. What factors are likely to disappoint me with either device? What will I miss when compared to my trusted Kindle Keyboard?

I will accept "get a Nook instead" among the answers.
alessandro_q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:33 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Touch is excellent. I changed from a K3 to a Touch and have no regrets at all.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2012, 10:38 AM   #3
alessandro_q
alessandro_q composes epic poetry in binary.alessandro_q composes epic poetry in binary.alessandro_q composes epic poetry in binary.alessandro_q composes epic poetry in binary.alessandro_q composes epic poetry in binary.alessandro_q composes epic poetry in binary.alessandro_q composes epic poetry in binary.alessandro_q composes epic poetry in binary.alessandro_q composes epic poetry in binary.alessandro_q composes epic poetry in binary.alessandro_q composes epic poetry in binary.

Thanks Harry. I have a question about the X-Ray feature. How would I get the xray information for previously purchased books?
Old 02-04-2012, 10:49 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I guess you'd have to re-download them. I'm afraid I don't have any books that have X-Ray, as far as I know.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:59 AM   #5
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
I don't consider the basic Kindle 4 an upgrade at all, it has half the storage space and battery life. Changing to the Kindle Touch makes sense if you are craving a touch environment, but you are giving up things like landscape orientation and full 3G browsing. There really isn't much size difference between the Kindle Touch and the Kindle Keyboard, 0.1 inch narrower and 0.7 inches shorter isn't going to fit in your pocket much better.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2012, 12:20 PM   #6
Martyd
Zealot
Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard,nexus 7,Kindle Voyage
There is also a debate about the quality (contrast) of the screen not being as good on some K4s. I'm on the not as good side.
Martyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:52 PM   #7
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
The KK is a classic. If size is your only reason for upgrading, I don't think the next generation of readers are smaller enough to fit into your pockets.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 02:06 PM   #8
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by howyoudoin View Post
The KK is a classic. If size is your only reason for upgrading, I don't think the next generation of readers are smaller enough to fit into your pockets.
I totally agree with the size issue. Love my K touch, but don't think of it as much smaller and it certainly doesn't fit in my pocket.

If it were me, I would seriously think about one of the larger smart phones, like the new 4.5 Galaxy which would fit in my pocket and helps eliminate carrying one additional device.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 02:08 PM   #9
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Or a five inch sony
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 06:36 PM   #10
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
Or a five inch sony
Which really was quite a nice unit. A pity they stopped manufacturing them.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:53 AM   #11
alessandro_q

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
I don't consider the basic Kindle 4 an upgrade at all, it has half the storage space and battery life.
Battery life is still more than adequate, and it would be difficult to read as many books as you can store on a kindle in one lifetime, let alone one journey (between which you could adjust your collection if absolutely necessary).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
There really isn't much size difference between the Kindle Touch and the Kindle Keyboard
Agreed, and that is quite disappointing. However, the Kindle 4 is comparable in size to the kobo touch, which I know from experience is a good pocket fit.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:04 AM   #12
markdek
Addict
markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

After reading many reviews of the touch, I'm of the mind that the K 3 keyboard is still a great unit, and the touch is not much of an upgrade for the average user. I hope my K 3 lasts another year or 2, when there will be a "new" kindle to look at.
markdek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:04 PM   #13
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
The other question is do you think that 3G is something that you need? Perhaps a Kindle Keyboard with 3G.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:36 PM   #14
pwright2
Connoisseur
pwright2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
My wife has a Kindle Keyboard. I have the Touch. I now realize that what I wanted was the Kindle Keyboard with a touch screen. Lots of the programs that work on Keyboard do not work on Touch and apparently will not be converted. Touch works fine as a reader but I really would like to make it more like a PDA.

-----Paul-----
pwright2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:25 PM   #15
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
I just use my Kindle to read books, and I migrated last night from a KK to the Touch. It might not be much smaller, but I think it is noticeable. The touch functionality is excellent, and the screen is first class. I took the cover with light, and the whole package is really satisfying.

I transferred all my books using Calibre - it took no time at all (just over 200 books, about two thirds from Amazon). The Kindle Collections plug-in not working with the Touch was a blow, but I eventually got the Import Collections to work directly on the Touch (including the non-Amazon titles). I had to delete the empty collections that Amazon don't accept I deleted from the KK ages ago, and went through the collections on the KK, double clicking on each title with a tick to remove and add it back again. That gave me a 100% success rate, whereas first time around only a few titles were going into the right collections.

About thirty minutes work all in - delighted with the result. And having gone to the trouble of getting one organised for whilst I was in the US, I imagine the UK availability will change imminently - that is the kind of effect I have!

amjb
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote