Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-19-2011, 08:06 AM   #1
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
How to get rid of a paperback collection in UK?

Can anyone suggest to me what I should do with (guessing 300-400) paperbacks all in mint condition of popular/mainstream fiction authors (classics/fantasty/sf/thriller) that I want to be rid of from my flat in London? I have made the decision to override my sentiment and begone with them, being thoroughly converted to the world of Kindle and e-ink.

Selling them one by one isn't an option. Sitting for hours at a car boot sale isn't either. Time/value etc. What else can I do with them? Will a charity shop or something take them? Would you attempt some kind of bulk batch on ebay? How have others facing this issue got rid of them?

I much prefer the Kindle reading experience for reasons stated a million times on other threads. Despite chipping away there are still at least 50-100 books in the above I haven't read yet, but I am sick of feeling "guilty" when I prefer to pickup my Kindle instead. (It isn't that my tastes in the books themeselves have changed, I just far prefer the ebook experience).

The money is spent. It is only the fact that there are "hundreds" that makes me question whether giving them away (assuming I can even find a recipient) is the only thing I can do with them.

Any suggestions welcomed.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:14 AM   #2
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
We gave some away on our local Freecycle group, but gave most of them to a local charity shop that has a room dedicated to second hand books. If you're a UK taxpayer and you give them to a charity shop, they can have Gift Aid applied, which means that the charity will get an extra 28% on top of whatever they sell them for. You'll need to give the charity your name and address for them to be able to get Gift Aid.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2011, 08:21 AM   #3
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
Very few things drop in value like a book. I had an entire pick-up truck filled with books at one time that I could hardly give away. Finally a library took them for its annual book sale.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:41 AM   #4
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
I gave away several thousand paperbacks and hardbacks in the UK earlier this year. I tried various charities and no-one was very interested. In the end I gave them to my family, my friends and friends of family and friends. As word got around, I got more takers. There are also jumble sales and various commercial places that raise money for charity as a side issue. I gave some to a small country station with no commercial bookstall where the stationmaster sold books for charity to travellers at 50p a pop. I also went into a Co-op supermarket recently where there was a 50p bookstall for charity. If you can't find anything like that, you could approach a venue and suggest doing it for your favourite charity.
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:44 AM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Hmm... all this does rather suggest that the resale value of paper books is dropping towards zero...

I certainly used to buy loads of second-hand books. I don't buy any now.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2011, 08:46 AM   #6
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Car boots to get rid of any that may still have some value, we got between 25p and £1 per book, but mostly people turned their nose up even at 25p followed by visits to various charity drop offs. Depending on the genre you could always contact local nursing homes to see if they'd like a collection of books.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:12 AM   #7
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
I think there's a UK version of Better World Books who might be interested if you want to donate - http://www.betterworldbooks.co.uk/In...ooks-m-68.aspx

Or how about selling it to Amazon?
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 12:02 PM   #8
OneandonlyDoc
Fearless Writer
OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi
You could try your local used book shop, see if they're in the market. You might not make a lot of money, but you could make some.
OneandonlyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 12:10 PM   #9
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Try donating them to a hospital, homeless shelters, or even a prison.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:21 PM   #10
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Someone recommended awhile back a website where you...

1. Scanned your books (hand scanners are on Amazon for ~20),
2. Boxed them up,
3. Sent them to the company (they paid the shipping)
4. Received a check.

I cannot for the life of me remember the name of this place. Hold on...

Here we go: http://www.cash4books.net/faq.php

EDIT: Ah, crumbs, they are US-only. Maybe there's a UK version though?

Last edited by anamardoll; 09-19-2011 at 01:24 PM.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 02:13 PM   #11
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
See about a used book store. Many will buy lots like that. If not that, donate to a library.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 03:13 PM   #12
Bricorn
Addict
Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG
Gut Fawkes night is only 7 weeks away.
Bricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 03:40 PM   #13
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
See about a used book store. Many will buy lots like that. If not that, donate to a library.
I tried to find a library in Switzerland that would take my serious hardback books, but they didn't really want them. I tried the local university as I thought they might be interested in scholarly books in English, but they only wanted a few popular novels! I'm not sure any libraries will necessarily want paperbacks.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:44 PM   #14
TFeldt
Connoisseur
TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Asus Transformer, Galaxy S
I've given up. Breaks my heart to say it but throwing them out with the *sniff* garbage is the only option I see. It might work out better for you since the majority of my book collection was in english and swedish charities just looked at me funny when I tried to drop some off.
TFeldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 03:51 PM   #15
DMB
Old Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFeldt View Post
I've given up. Breaks my heart to say it but throwing them out with the *sniff* garbage is the only option I see. It might work out better for you since the majority of my book collection was in english and swedish charities just looked at me funny when I tried to drop some off.
But every Swede I've ever met seems to be competent in English. Is that really such a barrier?