Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-04-2011, 01:18 AM   #1
bennyb
bennyb began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi (special offers)
help setting up usb networking

Hi all, sorry for the noob question, but I have successfully jailbroken my kindle 3 wifi (SO), as well as installed the usb networking hack, but I find the readme to be a bit confusing. I am trying to remove the ads as described here, but it is unclear to me exactly how to configure USB networking. Can someone please post a step-by-step walkthrough of this process, or point me to where there is already a clear explanation. Thanks in advance.
bennyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 02:16 AM   #2
naypalm
Enthusiast
naypalm began at the beginning.

Device: K3G v3.1 jb
This web post broke my n00b bubble awhile back.

http://www.jeffreybian.com/1/post/20...pment-101.html
naypalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2011, 12:17 PM   #3
bennyb

FWIW, I have no objection to my Kindle having special offers...I just want to be able to install custom screensavers, so if anyone has a method for this which will keep the special offers enabled, please let me know, thanks. BTW I am on Ubuntu linux.
Old 07-07-2011, 02:48 AM   #4
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
That doesn't make much sense...

You want to keep the special offers enabled

BUT you want your own screensavers.

The two statements are contradicting each other, yes?
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:12 PM   #5
bennyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by kranu View Post
That doesn't make much sense...

You want to keep the special offers enabled

BUT you want your own screensavers.

The two statements are contradicting each other, yes?
well, possibly. My point was that I have no qualms with the banner ads at the bottom of the homescreen, nor do I have a problem with the "view special offers" section accessed through the menu. I just want to be able to have custom screensavers. Whether or not the actual special offers remain is of little consequence to me.
Advert
Old 07-07-2011, 05:02 PM   #6
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyb View Post
well, possibly. My point was that I have no qualms with the banner ads at the bottom of the homescreen, nor do I have a problem with the "view special offers" section accessed through the menu. I just want to be able to have custom screensavers. Whether or not the actual special offers remain is of little consequence to me.
Screensaver ads were part of the deal to save $25.

If you're so averse towards the ads, perhaps you should exchange for a normal Kindle.

Although you can remove the ads yourself, I don't think anyone here will be too eager to help you rip Amazon off.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:17 PM   #7
bennyb

Quote:
Screensaver ads were part of the deal to save $25.

If you're so averse towards the ads, perhaps you should exchange for a normal Kindle.

Although you can remove the ads yourself, I don't think anyone here will be too eager to help you rip Amazon off.
I'm not trying to "rip Amazon off". Like I said, I have no problem with keeping the special offers. I do understand that the screensavers are part of the special offers, but they are completely non-interactive. It's kind of a moot point anyway, because I'm not at all likely to ever click on any of the ads.

Point number 2: The kindle was a gift...I would have bought the non-KSO version.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:53 PM   #8
kranu
I <3 my Kindle

Quote:
I'm not trying to "rip Amazon off". Like I said, I have no problem with keeping the special offers. I do understand that the screensavers are part of the special offers, but they are completely non-interactive. It's kind of a moot point anyway, because I'm not at all likely to ever click on any of the ads.

Point number 2: The kindle was a gift...I would have bought the non-KSO version.
You ARE trying to rip Amazon off. The KSO is sold at $25 less because the ads will eventually make up for the discounted price. Amazon has followed through with their part of the deal. You're trying not to. Whether or not you click on the ads is the moot point here. Although Amazon hopes that you do click on the ads, it does not matter to them if you do. Hardly anyone clicks the ads on Hulu or calls the number on TV commercials. Why are they still shown? For the very same reason why Amazon displays the screensaver ads.

If you are looking for a fair way to 'upgrade' your Kindle, you could find someone who has a normal Kindle who is interested ads and swap serial numbers (Yifanlu has stated that this works). Perhaps you could even throw in $25 to convince them. I know there are at least some people who are interested in this. I, for one, am. Unfortunately, I don't have any friends with a KSO who are willing to trade.

Last edited by kranu; 07-07-2011 at 06:58 PM.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:36 PM   #9
bennyb

Quote:
You ARE trying to rip Amazon off. The KSO is sold at $25 less because the ads will eventually make up for the discounted price. Amazon has followed through with their part of the deal. You're trying not to. Whether or not you click on the ads is the moot point here. Although Amazon hopes that you do click on the ads, it does not matter to them if you do. Hardly anyone clicks the ads on Hulu or calls the number on TV commercials. Why are they still shown? For the very same reason why Amazon displays the screensaver ads.
Rather than ignite a flame war, I'm just going to concede and say that you have won.
(This is not just sarcasm...you make a valid point, however I do disagree on the fact that I am ripping off amazon, but I am weary and don't feel like beating a dead horse.)
Old 07-07-2011, 11:15 PM   #10
kranu
I <3 my Kindle

I'm glad that you've decided to stop the war. If you'd like, we can continue the argument over a private message, so as to not disturb others.

Have you considered my idea of switching serial numbers?
Old 02-22-2013, 12:27 PM   #11
Awak
Wuxia Novels Fan
Awak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Awak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Awak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Awak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Awak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Awak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Awak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Awak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Awak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Awak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Awak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle PW
Quote:
Hi all, sorry for the noob question, but I have successfully jailbroken my kindle 3 wifi (SO), as well as installed the usb networking hack, but I find the readme to be a bit confusing. I am trying to remove the ads as described here, but it is unclear to me exactly how to configure USB networking. Can someone please post a step-by-step walkthrough of this process, or point me to where there is already a clear explanation. Thanks in advance.
Yip, see the post here

The IP address may be different depends on the version of the hack, check the "readme" file that comes with the hack.
Awak is offline   Reply With Quote