Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 07-19-2011, 09:28 PM   #1
stevesr0
Connoisseur
stevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
Nooby Questions about the PE

I may have overlooked answers to these questions, for which I apologize in advance. I would appreciate links to the threads in that case.

I purchased a "new" PE on Woot at the end of June. I have heard that some people received previously used ones. So it is possible that some of the apps I see are evidence of a previous owner.

I updated to the 2.2 beta firmware, without any apparent issue. I am not sure if that would cause some apps to have two versions, as I see for my Camera app).

1. I noticed there are complaints about the camera app in Ermine. I looked in the Applications folder and saw that there are two apps one labeled version 1 and the other version 2.2.1 Are both apps supposed to be present? Are both needed or can one be deleted? Which is recommended?

2. I also have a google chinese pinyin keyboard application. Does everyone with Android devices have these? If I don't plan to write Mandarin, will it hurt to delete it?

3. The only way I know to move from one app to another is by using the back button. Are there ways to move directly back and forth between applications?

4. What is the browser that is included with the base Android software install? I have heard that Dolphin is recommended and I assume that this is a different browser, but I don't know how to identify the specific name of the preinstalled browser.

5. I downloaded a copy of the amazon android store app to my computer and then e-mailed it to myself and opened my e-mail (yahoo) on the PE. When I downloaded the app attachment , its name was changed to att.bin That seems peculiar. I was only able to rename the file by using the terminal app.

Thanks for insights, links, etc.

Steve
stevesr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:59 PM   #2
mtambo
mtambo began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket edGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesr0 View Post
I may have overlooked answers to these questions, for which I apologize in advance. I would appreciate links to the threads in that case.

I purchased a "new" PE on Woot at the end of June. I have heard that some people received previously used ones. So it is possible that some of the apps I see are evidence of a previous owner.

I updated to the 2.2 beta firmware, without any apparent issue. I am not sure if that would cause some apps to have two versions, as I see for my Camera app).

1. I noticed there are complaints about the camera app in Ermine. I looked in the Applications folder and saw that there are two apps one labeled version 1 and the other version 2.2.1 Are both apps supposed to be present? Are both needed or can one be deleted? Which is recommended?

2. I also have a google chinese pinyin keyboard application. Does everyone with Android devices have these? If I don't plan to write Mandarin, will it hurt to delete it?

3. The only way I know to move from one app to another is by using the back button. Are there ways to move directly back and forth between applications?

4. What is the browser that is included with the base Android software install? I have heard that Dolphin is recommended and I assume that this is a different browser, but I don't know how to identify the specific name of the preinstalled browser.

5. I downloaded a copy of the amazon android store app to my computer and then e-mailed it to myself and opened my e-mail (yahoo) on the PE. When I downloaded the app attachment , its name was changed to att.bin That seems peculiar. I was only able to rename the file by using the terminal app.

Thanks for insights, links, etc.

Steve
Steve,
Welcome!
I'm a nooby myself so I can't be of a whole lot of help. I'll just answer the stuff I'm certain of.

4. I'm not sure the stock android browser has a name other than "browser". Dolphin is definitely a different browser, and I'm a big fan. It comes in regular, mini, and HD varieties. I still haven't parsed out all the differences to find my fave yet, but here's a link to dolphin browser HD: http://www.freewarelovers.com/androi...hin-browser-hd (side note: as a newbie with this device, you should know that you won't be able to access the android marketplace directly. The amazon appstore works great, but not everything is up there. All other items you install will probably be through .apk files. Freewarelovers is a wonderful source of them).

5. As far as I know, the att.bin thing is an incredibly annoying thing that some email servers / clients do with attachments - rather than downloading the attachment in its original name and format. I'm not sure if renaming will do the trick, as the att.bin file may be the result of more than just a simple file renaming. Did the file work after a rename? If not, it might be best to try transferring the file directly via the usb cable or using the wireless method described here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132878 . As for why you're getting attachments as att.bin files and how to correct it, I'll let someone with more knowledge handle that.
mtambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2011, 05:38 AM   #3
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Steve, a few answers that may be helpful. First I would say you should look in the old entourage forum archive - there was quite a lot said about the shortcomings of Ermine there.

Most of the camera problems are with the EE and related to the green cast on all still pictures.

There are several apps that have the old and new versions and it appears the new version relies on the old to work.

The back button (or exit from the app menu) appears to be the way Android works - remember this started out as a phone OS.

The app 'browser' that you have is a little different from normal as it interacts with the e-ink side of things. There are several other browsers that work, some better than others - a search of the forum will produce quite a lot of information on the subject.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:12 AM   #4
Serena
Zealot
Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
The pinyin keyboard is standard.

If you hold down the home button, it will pull up a list of recent applications that you can choose from.
Serena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:37 PM   #5
stevesr0
Connoisseur
stevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
thanks

Thanks for these replies. I will keep monitoring for more, but these are quite helpful.

Steve
stevesr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert