Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 07-14-2011, 02:20 PM   #1
melitabel
Enthusiast
melitabel began at the beginning.

Device: entourage edge
New EE: Is it defective?

I bought a new in box EE on ebay from a reputable seller. I've had a PE for several months, and people warned me the EE is different. I got it about 2 weeks ago, registered it, calibrated the screen, and upgraded it (to what I now don't remember). I got the browser open (but I thought it behaved very oddly - more in a moment).

Then I got preoccupied with other stuff for a couple weeks and didn't touch it until today. I was happy to see it had held its charge (my PE runs down quickly, even when off with wireless also off). However, the user guide was open on the eInk side. I got the menu up, looked at settings, tried to turn wireless on, no luck (this could be our building). Noticed the absence of a Journal, as on the PE. Tried to open Notepad - nothing happened. Tried to close the User Guide - no way to do it. In the PE, there is a Menu option at the bottom left - that is missing here. I have had trouble moving around the User Guide - screen seems very fussy about how it is touched.

Now - it is utterly unresponsive. I can't get rid of the user guide, but on or off, that's all I've got. Can't get the menu back. Can't more around the user guide. The last thing I did was to close the Edge, while it was still running, which I thought I should be able to do.

First - how should I be able to close something on the eInk side?
Second, where is the Journal? Is the notepad function on the Edge the equivalent of the Journal on the PE?
Third, what do you think has happened? - I have turned it on and off several times; it was at least 80% charged an hour ago, and now - nothing.
Finally, the browser was really strange. I did not get the kind of address bar I could type a URL into. It shows the address of the site I am at, but doesn't allow me to enter another URL. I can go back to a Google search tool, which seems to be separate, but that's not the way the browser works on the PE, and it's horribly inefficient. What on earth could be going on?

Before I contact the seller, I thought I'd see if anyone can help me figure out what's going on. On the PE, I would stick a pin in it and reset, but I don't see that option here.

Thanks!
melitabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:27 PM   #2
msavides
msavides began at the beginning.

Device: Nook, Entorage
I think the EE equivalent to the reset button is pulling the battery out and putting it back in. You will have to power it back on again.

I Think you have experienced the EE unreliable Hibernate function.

Most of the time mine will say it is hibernated and to hit menu to come out of hibernation, It does nothing and requires a battery pull.

The only way to keep it reliable is to shut it down when not in use and power it on when you want to use it. This requires you to wait 30- 40 secs for it to boot up.

Mark
msavides is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2011, 02:36 PM   #3
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast
sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura One (formerly: Asus Eee Note, enTourage eDGe EE, Nokia N810)
Just booting up now so I can confirm some things for you but (a) I don't think I've ever closed a journal before and (b) the remove the battery and reinsert is the best place to start.
sarah11918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:42 PM   #4
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast
sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Re Journal:

The journal is not the app called "Notepad" (although the icon looks like a spiral bound notepad, kind of slanted with a page upturned). There is an app called Notepad, but that's for the LCD side.

Normally you will find a shortcut to Journal on your main home screen as one of the shortcuts along the bottom. If it's not there, find the whole list of icons either by double tapping or sliding up (depends which version of OS you have) the grey X tab. (The entourage logo). In the list of all the applications, you should find the Journal. (It's called Journal.)
Old 07-14-2011, 02:47 PM   #5
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast

re: Native browser

In the most updated (Ermine 2.2 Beta) version of the OS, when you click on the browser address bar you will in fact get a list of recently visited sites, but the bar itself should say "Search or type URL" Clicking on it will bring up the virtual keyboard.

I do seem to have some vague recollection of navigation not working the way I expected in the past. It would help to know whether you've updated just to the latest 1.6 build or whether you have 2.2

If in doubt, in any program where you can't seem to find the thing you want to do, hit menu. I almost had to write MENU on the back of my hand for the first few weeks with the EE, because that really is the key to navigating most aspects of the various apps.
Advert
Old 07-14-2011, 03:20 PM   #6
melitabel
Enthusiast

Signs of life . . . I will remember not to just close it, but to actually turn it off.
Believe it or not, there appears to be no journal application installed on here. There's no icon on the X tab. I just went to settings -> applications -> manage applications, and it's not listed there either. However, I was able to set Journal preferences to automatic backup. ???

Updated to 1.6
Old 07-14-2011, 03:34 PM   #7
mokel22
Zealot
mokel22 began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge
When you go to manage applications you need to show all applications as opposed to the default they give you which only shows the applications that came with it default. I do not have my edge with me, but there should be a tab to show all applications once you get to manage applications. If it's not there, then shouldn't golden update bring it back?
mokel22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 03:51 PM   #8
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by melitabel View Post
I just went to settings -> applications -> manage applications, and it's not listed there either.
It's not listed for me, either, because I believe that setting menu only allows you to manage Android applications (not edge applications). So similarly, you won't see "Reader" showing up in that list either

Can you clarify for me which application icons (there should be 5 of them?) are in your shortcut row? Usually it would contain Reader, Journal, Library and 2 others. (I've customized mine, so I can't remember what the other two default ones are). This should be along the very bottom of the home screen, under the entourage-logo-x.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:56 PM   #9
melitabel
Enthusiast

Golden update is . . ? In any case, I haven't installed anything, so all that's here is what came with it.I don't see anything that let's me view more applications. The Journal should be a default application - it should have come installed; at least it did on the PE.

Now that I can access the user manual, I see that in the browser, I have to hit the menu button and then "Go," which opens a URL box. Do you all regularly do this to use this browser? Because at least on the PE, it works like a normal browser, where you can type in a url in the browser itself, without 3 extra steps. I am getting very unhappy with this machine.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:14 PM   #10
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast

OK, but I still need to know what is in your default shortcut bar on the home page to know whether it's different from the factory set up.

This is what I mean:

(You can click on the picture if you want to see it larger)

Journal should be one of the defaults, just like Reader and Library. What do you have in that list? Maybe that will help us understand why Journal isn't there, like it should be?
Old 07-14-2011, 04:19 PM   #11
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast

If Journal isn't in that list of 5 apps, you should be able to find it (again, assuming it is in fact installed) by pressing on that grey X and swiping up as if it were a pull tab. That's how you would normally access any apps for which you don't have a shortcut icon on the home screen.

(In the 2.2 beta, you double tap that x, but on 1.6, it was a press-hold-slideup motion.)

If you do that, you should see a complete grid of applications like this:

If there are so many apps that you need to scroll (and I think even with the default installation that's the case, you need to scroll) then scroll to the J's and verify whether there is or isn't an app listed there called Journal like this:

I can't say for sure that if it's not there, it's not installed. But I can say that if it was somehow removed from the Home screen's shortcut bar, this is where you'd find it. If you press and hold it, then the homescreen should appear and you should be able to move the icon back into a spot on the home screen.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:36 PM   #12
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokel22 View Post
If it's not there, then shouldn't golden update bring it back?
That would be the next step, given that it's new and there's presumably not much to lose anyway.

Melitabel, here on the forum you can find the files to either reinstall 1.6 or install the beta 2.2 along with instructions.

If you can't find the Journal in the tab of applications (again, not going through any menu/settings but sliding up that grey x "tab" to reveal the grid of applications), then your best bet would be to reinstall 1.6 from scratch. At that point, you could then decide whether you want to try upgrading to 2.2 (knowing that if you don't like it, you can always re-re-install 1.6).

Others: if for some crazy reason there really is no Journal installed on Melitabel's 1.6, then would there similarly be no Journal on 2.2? In other words, would 2.2 simply "upgrade" (not rewrite) what's there?

My initial thought was that an upgrade to 2.2 should work, but knowing that I didn't lose my data/apps when I upgraded made me wonder if that was in fact the case. My edge didn't obviously revert to a factory-settings 2.2, so that's what makes me think the 2.2 upgrade process isn't as clean as a 1.6 reinstall and maybe a clean install of 1.6 makes more sense to start?

But before you go through all that, I do want to make sure you can access your tab of applications the way you're meant to, and I want to make sure that the Journal app is in fact missing from that list, too.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:44 PM   #13
melitabel
Enthusiast

Sorry Sarah, I took so long to respond to the previous post that I missed yours of 8:14 pm. The Journal is not listed along the bottom - that's where I expected to find it, because that is of course where it was on the PE. I can't swipe the X open, I have to click it, and it's not there. There are only 19 apps, far fewer than came with the PE. I wonder if this machine could be a really early version, perhaps.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:02 PM   #14
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by melitabel View Post
There are only 19 apps, far fewer than came with the PE. I wonder if this machine could be a really early version, perhaps.
OK, that is definitely way fewer than come installed on an EE by default, I'm pretty sure.

So I think your conclusion that not everything is installed is probably the right one. What I think you should do is search the board for "revert to dingo" and follow those instructions. (If I can hunt down a good thread, I'll link to it here.)

Most people who re-install 1.6 are those who wanted to downgrade from the experimental 2.2, so that will be the context of the threads you'll see, but I have no reason to think that you couldn't do the exact same thing and get a factory-setting ready 1.6 on your machine.

The EE is different, but it's not *that* different. The basic premise should be the same.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:05 PM   #15
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast

I believe these are the instructions you'll need: https://www.entourageedge.com/suppor...leid=263&nav=0