Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-05-2011, 10:04 AM   #1
clady
Clady
clady began at the beginning.

Device: Windows 10
Wrong cover

Anyone have a suggestion for this problem??

When I convert some books in Calibre and open them in Kindle for PC, the wrong cover shows. It is usually with a Harlequin book. It will show a graphic from inside the book instead of the cover showing in the Metadata. I have even tried checking the option - "use cover from source file". Checking or unchecking that option does not correct the problem with some books. I have also tried the option to remove the 1st graphic. It will then show a graphic from later in the book.
Odd problem
clady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:57 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by clady View Post
When I convert some books in Calibre and open them in Kindle for PC, the wrong cover shows.
In order for the cover from calibre to be used in the mobi book you need to convert the book. A mobi to mobi conversion should work fine.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2011, 11:02 AM   #3
clady
Clady

The problem is showing after the conversion (with some books)...that is why it is so odd.
Thanks though.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:10 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
The problem is showing after the conversion (with some books)...that is why it is so odd.
Thanks though.
Some books in a kindle open to the second page. To see the cover you have to go back one page. Did you view these books in calibre's viewer? If indeed the image your seeing is the second page after the cover you might be able to remove these images in the future by selecting the remove first image option under structure detection.

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:25 AM   #5
clady
Clady

I must not be explaining this well..sorry. Trying again.
Everything is showing fine in metadata and in Calibre before I convert it. Am not concerned where it opens. I can always go back. The problem is in Kindle for PC where the cover art shows for the books. Sometimes the wrong cover shows there..just a graphic not the cover of a book. It is usually a graphic from the middle or end of the book. The problem is usually a Harlequin book where it shows an image that says Harlequin publishers.
To correct it, I have tried several things like remove first image or use cover from source file when I convert it...but has the same cover problem.
Advert
Old 02-05-2011, 11:36 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
I must not be explaining this well..sorry. Trying again.
Everything is showing fine in metadata and in Calibre before I convert it. Am not concerned where it opens. I can always go back. The problem is in Kindle for PC where the cover art shows for the books. Sometimes the wrong cover shows there..just a graphic not the cover of a book. It is usually a graphic from the middle or end of the book. The problem is usually a Harlequin book where it shows an image that says Harlequin publishers.
To correct it, I have tried several things like remove first image or use cover from source file when I convert it...but has the same cover problem.
Are some of these conversion Originally PDF files?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:57 AM   #7
clady
Clady

yes - pdf to mobi
Old 02-05-2011, 12:46 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
yes - pdf to mobi
PDF is the most problematic to convert from because the page is built-up, not linear like HTML.
Lay down the text, go back and place the images, place the 'rules'...
With PDF, it is the printed results that is the object. Think paint by the numbers
You might convert to EPUB and use Sigil *code view:Cut the IMG line and paste in the correct place) to re-position the 'strays'.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 02:57 PM   #9
clady
Clady

Thanks, will try that.