Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-15-2007, 06:52 AM   #1
adinb
RSS & Gadget Addict!
adinb is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-500, iPod Touch, iPhone
Connect Reader Software in VirtualPC?

Has anyone gotten the connect software working in VirtualPC on a PowerMac?

I have a small install of XP on my "old" G4 Powerbook. The connect software appears to be happy throughout the install, but when I try to execute I can't even find anything that looks like it could be the connect software process.

I'm sure that this'll be the thing that'll get me out to get parallels, but for "on the road" stuff, I'm still stuck using Virtual PC.

Any tips/tricks to getting it working?

-a
adinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 01:27 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
My guess is that Virtual PC for Mac doesn't support USB ports.?
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 03:42 PM   #3
adinb
RSS & Gadget Addict!
adinb is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-500, iPod Touch, iPhone
Actually, Virtual PC seems to have better support for USB ports than Parallels. Windows sees the reader itself (and is able to register it to the sony driver) without any issues.

My problem so far is that the sony connect process starts up then self terminates in about 30 secs, before it draws the window.
adinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 11:32 PM   #4
coax
coax began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Just bought a Reader this afternoon, no luck with Virtual PC so far. The Reader is detected as new hardware and listed in the Device Manager; but same problem, the Connect software doesn't start up properly.

Though I was able to get libprs500 installed and some test files transfered before my VPC WinXP installation was even complete (why no Win2k support?). Now if I can get some Asian fonts installed and working I'll be really happy.
coax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 04:00 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There have been no reports, that I've seen at least, of the Connect software working successfully under Virtual PC. I guess there are limits to what "emulated" environments can do.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote