Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: Will you be upgrading to the Paperwhite II proposed below?
Yes. Upgrading from Paperwhite. 17 22.67%
Yes. Upgrading from and old reader, or different brand. 7 9.33%
No. Have Paperwhite already. Not enough improvement. 44 58.67%
No. I haven't got a PW, but will wait until my reader breaks. 7 9.33%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-28-2013, 10:24 AM   #1
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Upgrading to Kindle Paperwhite II

Of course Amazon is going to put a new e-reader onto the market somewhere in the fall of this year, or maybe in the beginning of December. Personally, I think the Paperwhite is quite an OK reader, allthough I'd have liked to see more customization options comparable to the Kobo readers. However, don't think Amazon will incorporate them; I think they are of the opinion that more options give more choice, and more choice for customers causes more problems for Amazon.

I think something like this will happen:

- Screen: Capacitive Touch
- Size: 6 inch 1280x960 (267 dpi), to match the Kobo Aura
- Interface: Little tweaks, no big changes
- Fonts: One new serif, on new sans-serif
- GoodReads integration (why else would they have bought it?)
- It'll be a little bit smaller, thinner and lighter than the PW, with the express purpose to make it NOT fit the current sleep cover
- Better front-light (or at least, Amazon will claim it's better)

If the screen resolution, 2 extra fonts, and GoodReads integration are the only real upgrades, are you going to get a Paperwhite II?

===

Personally, the changes as stated above, will not be enough for me to upgrade. Even adding Kobo-like customization wouldn't convince me to upgrade now, as I have "found" my very own perfect custom font.

I would probably upgrade if the Paperwhite became a 7 inch 1600x1200 reader (285 dpi), and for the rest, stay the same as it is now. Anything above 7 inch would be too big.

Last edited by Katsunami; 06-28-2013 at 10:35 AM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:01 AM   #2
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
I always buy Amazon's latest and greatest eReaders. I still have a dumb cell phone and ma patiently waiting for an Amazon branded smart phone released through ATT.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:11 AM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
The main reason why I will not consider getting a Paperwhite at all is because they took away several important pieces of functionality from the Touch.

Most importantly, the physical home button -- this is VERY important to me! It is the best way to navigate around the Kindle.

Also the ability to change chapters by swiping up/down -- according to Amazon, it just confused people. I would prefer the option.

Also the TTS/audiobooks/mp3s. The 2GB vs 4GB is NOT a problem in my mind -- I will still never need more than 1500 books at any one time.

The dealbreaker though is the home button. And capacitive touch may be nice, but it isn't a necessity. The frontlit display would be wonderful -- if I didn't have my own bedroom, and thus no need to read in the dark.

So many nice things about the Paperwhite, but nothing to make up for its MAJOR flaw.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:16 AM   #4
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post

If the screen resolution, 2 extra fonts, and GoodReads integration are the only real upgrades, are you going to get a Paperwhite II?
No, not unless it has at least 4gb onboard storage. Or if it's a different size screen.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:27 AM   #5
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
The 2GB vs 4GB is NOT a problem in my mind -- I will still never need more than 1500 books at any one time.
Even if you don't plan to put more books than that on it, having the extra storage there makes it run faster, in my opinion.

I would like the home button, too.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:28 AM   #6
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
At what point is an e-reader 'good enough'? Especially if what you do is read on it. I could see some software improvements (these I am currently dealing with by hacks), but as far as the physical reading experience I am extremely content. Screen resolution is better than my eyes can appreciate, the front light on mine works great. There is enough memory for more books than I can read in several years and the physical size and weight are about perfect for me. Nope, don't see me buying another reader for quite a while.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:37 AM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Even if you don't plan to put more books than that on it, having the extra storage there makes it run faster, in my opinion.

I would like the home button, too.
That's what I say too, (I did notice on my friend's Paperwhite that after about 400 books it started going slower) and of course every improvement possible would be GOOD, but as far as serious issues go, the memory is not important. I mean lets face it, if the Paperwhite had the home button, I would get it, 2GB notwithstanding. It still goes at a decent speed and I don't really need more than lets say 200 books at a time. My admittedly cursory experimentation did not show speed issues with that few # of books. It's not enough of a problem that I would stick with the Touch.

As regards the home button, call Amazon and share your views. Every complaint counts, and I personally have made sure Amazon knows how I feel the Paperwhite could be improved!
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:56 AM   #8
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
I will probably say I'm not getting one when its announced. Then I Will pre-order one, telling myself that I'm only doing it in case I change my mind. I will probably convince myself to buy it in the end.

All this is based on my behaviour with previous kindle releases.

So yes I probably will be upgrading from the paperwhite.

Last edited by shanghaichica; 09-08-2013 at 12:16 PM.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:00 PM   #9
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Most importantly, the physical home button -- this is VERY important to me! It is the best way to navigate around the Kindle.

Also the ability to change chapters by swiping up/down -- according to Amazon, it just confused people. I would prefer the option.
+1 to those two features, though I say that as someone who is still using my Kindle Keyboard and who doesn't want to upgrade to something that doesn't have the option of page turn buttons
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:51 PM   #10
discopig
Book Addict
discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Shouldn't we wait for the new kindle specs before having this kind of poll?

For all we know they might surprise us and re-add some features from kindle touch, although I doubt it.

One thing I can say is I am keeping my PW, as it does everything I need (and more).

Last edited by discopig; 06-28-2013 at 01:58 PM.
discopig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:17 PM   #11
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Having extra storage can't possibly make it run faster. It isn't RAM, it is just storage, and thus has no effect on speed.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:10 PM   #12
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 2014
Quote:
The main reason why I will not consider getting a Paperwhite at all is because they took away several important pieces of functionality from the Touch.

Yeah, well, if it does have a home button I will NOT be buying one. I really don't like home buttons and wish Apple would stop adding them (which they probably will, since iOS 6.x supports gestures for some time now). The LESS buttons there are, the better. Heck, why don't they make it completely water-proof/air-tight? No USB connection either; just Wifi, Bluetooth, email and a browser, and you'll never need a cable ever again (charging could be done with a wireless charging pad).

Less buttons = less chances for the buttons to WEAR OUT, accumulate dirt or lint, break out of their plastic casings, etc. I'm thinking of starting a buttonless campaign.
DSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:35 PM   #13
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
There are only two things that would induce me to upgrade. Better screen/lighting and more storage. Anything short of that is not that important to me.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:05 PM   #14
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Uh oh... Amazon better makes some substantial improvements. Just upping the screen resolution to match the Aura's DPI, and some tweaks such as adding fonts and GoodReads are not going to do for current Paperwhite owners, or so it seems.

If the Paperwhite hadn't had a front-light, I would've probably jumped to the Kobo Glo. A built-in lighting feature was the one thing I was missing from the Touch. With regard to a home button, TTS, Audio, social stuff... I don't really care. All I want is an option to sideload books and set fonts/margins etc.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:33 PM   #15
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
With regard to a home button, TTS, Audio, social stuff... I don't really care. All I want is an option to sideload books and set fonts/margins etc.
Bingo!! (and hyphenations!)
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote