Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-01-2012, 10:01 PM   #1
MMMatt
MMMatt has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3
Need help from people with both an Android device and a Kindle

Hello

I would like to know which android devices (phones/tablets) are able to connect to the Kindle (any version you have) via USB or wireless, to transfer book files (.pdf, .mobi, anything etc) stored on the android device to the Kindle, thus increasing the capacity you can carry around with you.

With USB I believe that this requires the android device to be able to act as USB Host, much like a PC is a USB Host, and is also called USB OTG (On-The-Go).

I will be travelling without internet access, so would like to have this ability, and I was wondering if some people would be so kind enough as to test if their android device can connect to the Kindle and transfer files, so I know which android device to buy. It may require an app, there are a few free ones on the Google Play android market if you search there for 'USB OTG'.
MMMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:00 AM   #2
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
I have a Samsung Galaxy S3. With a USB On The Go cable such as this one the Kindle should appear as a USB disk storage, just as it does to a PC. You could then use an Android app to copy from the phone file system to the Kindle.

I have ordered the above OTG cable, it is scheduled to arrive sept 13. I will report back then if no one else has replied before.
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:05 AM   #3
MMMatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoP View Post
I have a Samsung Galaxy S3. With a USB On The Go cable such as this one the Kindle should appear as a USB disk storage, just as it does to a PC. You could then use an Android app to copy from the phone file system to the Kindle.

I have ordered the above OTG cable, it is scheduled to arrive sept 13. I will report back then if no one else has replied before.
This is exactly what I had in mind, thank you very much, it really is much appreciated.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:52 AM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

The Kindle has enough storage space to carry way more books than you could ever read in year. You can load hundreds of books into the Kindle memory. As far as connecting it through a mobile phone or tablet, you would only be able to side load non-DRMed mobi books. You would not be able to buy DRM protected Kindle books via the phone then transfer them to the Kindle via the USB connection with the phone. You could transfer PDFs which in many cases look horrible on a Kindle and you could of course transfer non-DRMed books. You can also buy Kindle books from any device and Whispersync then to any other device, but that requires a WiFi connection.

IMHO, it would be easier and possibly less expensive to buy a Kindle with 3G radio built in and circumvent the mobile phone kluge connection all together.

Last edited by jswinden; 09-02-2012 at 10:55 AM.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:46 AM   #5
MMMatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
The Kindle has enough storage space to carry way more books than you could ever read in year. You can load hundreds of books into the Kindle memory. As far as connecting it through a mobile phone or tablet, you would only be able to side load non-DRMed mobi books. You would not be able to buy DRM protected Kindle books via the phone then transfer them to the Kindle via the USB connection with the phone. You could transfer PDFs which in many cases look horrible on a Kindle and you could of course transfer non-DRMed books. You can also buy Kindle books from any device and Whispersync then to any other device, but that requires a WiFi connection.

IMHO, it would be easier and possibly less expensive to buy a Kindle with 3G radio built in and circumvent the mobile phone kluge connection all together.
I am aware of this, but thanks for the reminder.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:33 PM   #6
PoP
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, it works!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoP View Post

I recieved my cable today.

I connected the OTG cable to the phone and the Kindle to the cable and the phone could access the Kindle File System.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-09-06 18.01.38 OTG Kindle 3.png
Views:	729
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	91941

I also tried the Phone to a USB Stick and it worked too.

For more power demanding devices you might need a USB Y cable (male-to-malePWR-Y-to femaleCONNECTOR), or a USB cable to a powered hub (male-to-male powered hub CONNECTOR).

Hope it helped and thanks for the K.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:00 AM   #7
MMMatt

Excellent thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:43 AM   #8
nobylspoon
Zealot
nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Asus Transformer, WIFI Xoom, EVO LTE, 3G Paperwhite 10/2
USB Host support was added in Honeycomb 3.1.x. Any HC, ICS, or JB release that followed that should support it.

I haven't tried USB host functionality on my ICS phone yet but I imagine the same applies.

Side Note: The drivers for wired XBox360 controllers were also included when they added the USB host support. Android Tablet + SNES Emulator + Xbox Controller = FUN!
nobylspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 03:43 AM   #9
hfpop
Addict
hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: N/A
Brilliant idea, thanks.

@PoP: please show some link or explanation of the type of cables you are talking about.

I have a Galaxy S2 with Android 4.0.3 and Kindle Touch, with the recommended OTG cable. Of course a regular USB cable sits between the OTG cable and the Kindle. It connects nicely, but disconnects immediately. With regular USB sticks the connection is very stable indeed. So my hint is that I need more power for the USB connection, but I do not know how to get it.

I tired other ideas as well: WiFi file server on the Galaxy, with the WiFi AP on the Galaxy. Works brilliantly as for the Galaxy, but the Kindle cannot connect to a WiFi access point that itself is not connected to the internet.
hfpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:04 AM   #10
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
If you have WiFi on both you can use ESFile to move files between the devices without a cable.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:26 AM   #11
hfpop
Addict
hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: N/A
@Kumabjorn: Thank you for the tip, indeed.

I am thinking as well at the most disadvantageous situation: an environment where I have no WiFi connection, and the only way to connect these two via WiFi would be to use the WiFi access point feature of the phone itself. But without a hack on Kindle, the Kindle does not connect to a WiFi point that is itself not connected to the net.

Last edited by hfpop; 09-08-2012 at 04:59 AM.
hfpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:56 AM   #12
PoP

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfpop View Post
@PoP: please show some link or explanation of the type of cables you are talking about.
@hfpop, for additional power on the USB bus:

I was thinking something like this USB universal Y cable where one male connector goes to the OTG female connector, the other male connector goes to a USB Power Wall charger, and the female connector goes to the regular Kindle cable.

Or something like this USB Powered Hub connected to the OTG female connector with the regular Kindle cable connected to a port of the hub.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:36 AM   #13
holgalee
Kindle Newbie
holgalee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.holgalee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.holgalee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.holgalee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3 & PW
I have an OTG cable as well, and managed to connect the kindle to my Galaxy Note.

In my case, the kindle folder appears in the internal sd, within the USBstorage folder. Do remember to safely remove your kindle from the phone through the phone's settings, before disconnecting the OTG.

Psst: Here's a really cool video about using an OTG cable with an android phone.

Last edited by holgalee; 09-08-2012 at 10:02 AM.
holgalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:34 PM   #14
PoP

LOST.DIR

Just to mention that this (empty, inocuous) LOST.DIR directory is automaticaly created by android fsck-ing the usb device when it mounts it. Don't be surprized to find in on your Kindle.

If it ever contains files, it means android found errors in the Kindle file system and while correcting it, copied the sectors in error into LOST.DIR -- should you want to (courageously) attempt recovery.

To stay on the safe side, remember to "eject" the Kindle from the android phone prior to physically disconnecting it.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:03 AM   #15
fratermus
e-bookworm
fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, K3, KF2, Touch (dying)
BN: wifi-centric follows. Skip if one is interested only in hardware solutions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfpop View Post
But without a hack on Kindle, the Kindle does not connect to a WiFi point that is itself not connected to the net.
Perhaps this means "will only connect to a wifi access point", since the kindle has no way of knowing, pre-association, whether or not the AP has an internet connection.

Consider the scenario of tethering to a phone that does not have a data plan; the android phone looks like an AP to the kindle, gives it a dhcp lease, etc, but just has nowhere to forward those packets.

But at least now we have both devices on the same subnet over wifi. I don't know Kindles well enough to know whether this gets us any further down the road.* Maybe we can ftp/scp back to the kindle, or run a lightweight web server on the android phone and pull files from it using the kindle's browser?

I like the discussion as an intellectual exercise and experiment but two practical points stick in my pea-brain:

1. I would be surprised if I could read a complete kindle-load of ebooks in any period of time shorter than incarceration or exile.
2. I would also be surprised if one didn't stumble across open wifi APs while travelling. Certainly before running out of ebooks to read.

* my first Kindle, a KK, is on the way from eBay. It was, a quick google stalking suggests, used for textbooks by a med student. On the plus side, I am not entirely unfamiliar with android and linux devices.
fratermus is offline   Reply With Quote