Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-16-2012, 03:09 PM   #1
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
Thumbs up iCloud is the key....

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives...key_to_the.php

Interesting thoughts. I am liking iCloud more & more as it integrates all of my devices. I also recently signed up for iTunes match & that's really nice to have across all of my devices as well. Though google also does this with google music. I've used that service as well & like it, just can't get it on my apple tv or Roku (that I know of.) I think google is the one of the only other viable companies for cloud services. At least at this point.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:31 PM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyluis View Post
I think google is the one of the only other viable companies for cloud services. At least at this point.
You're forgetting Amazon. I do believe Amazon was actually first with music on the cloud and frankly, I have a lot more downloadable music purchases from Amazon (they were selling DRM-free MP3's before Apple followed suit). And with the Kindle Fire and the rumored 10" tablet...

As far as purchased content is concerned, at this point, Google is only ahead of Amazon in terms of apps. Books, Amazon is the clear winner. Music and video would probably be Amazon's win, too, particularly since they released the Kindle Fire.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:40 PM   #3
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Shoot. You're right. They do have a very solid cloud ecosystem.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:12 PM   #4
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Quote:
Shoot. You're right. They do have a very solid cloud ecosystem.
At the risk of sounding like a stuck record (remember those?) outside of the US Amazon has *no* cloud ecosystem - no video on demand, no app store, no streaming music. Nothing.
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:17 PM   #5
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petermillard View Post
At the risk of sounding like a stuck record (remember those?) outside of the US Amazon has *no* cloud ecosystem - no video on demand, no app store, no streaming music. Nothing.
Ah, but does Google? Yes they have an app store but as far as I'm aware, Google's books, videos and music are US-only so far.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:19 PM   #6
monkeyluis
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by petermillard View Post
The US is the only country that matters.

Kidding kidding.

What options do you have in the UK? iCloud work over there?
Old 03-16-2012, 04:33 PM   #7
andym
Groupie
andym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
The US is the only country that matters.

What options do you have in the UK? iCloud work over there?
Yes it does but in terms of integration with apps it's still lagging behind Dropbox.

I've had MobileMe for years and being able to have all my contacts, calendars and emails available to me on whichever device is something I've taken for granted (ironically, until I had to find a substitute for contacts and calendars for my non-Lion hackintosh).

It's great to have a remote backup for important information, and the ability to get to files when you're away from home, but I wouldn't rely on it for my primary data storage.
andym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:44 PM   #8
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Ah, but does Google? Yes they have an app store but as far as I'm aware, Google's books, videos and music are US-only so far.
No, they have some international exposure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Source
In the US, music, movies, books and Android apps are available in Google Play.
In Canada and the UK, we’ll offer movies, books and Android apps; in Australia,
books and apps; and in Japan, movies and apps. Everywhere else, Google Play
will be the new home for Android apps.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:42 PM   #9
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
No, they have some international exposure.
Quote:
In Canada and the UK, we’ll offer movies, books and Android apps; in Australia,
books and apps; and in Japan, movies and apps. Everywhere else, Google Play
will be the new home for Android apps.
So that means not yet. I'm sure Amazon is also looking to move into international waters. Don't they have Lovefilm or something in the UK? I reckon part of the issue with the gradual roll-out is negotiation with copyright holders. However, I have no doubt that Amazon (well, all of them really) want a big chunk of the global pie.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:23 PM   #10
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
So that means not yet.
So the ebook I bought from Google Play last week is imaginary? And the links for ebooks I saw posted here for the UK and Australia were bogus?
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:24 AM   #11
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Yes, Amazon owns (movie streaming service) LoveFilm in the UK, but this is operated as a separate company - and certainly not included with an Amazon Prime subscription! We can access Cloud Drive - but not Cloud Player - and there's no Amazon app store here. Google does a slightly better job - Play has movies to rent, eBooks, and apps, but we don't get Google Music. Then again, we've had Spotify for years... <shrug>

Undoubtedly, a large part of the gradual roll-out of these services is down to convoluted negotiations (let's not forget it took a couple of years just to get an 'International' Kindle) but right here, right now, Apple with iTunes Store and iCloud seems to be the front-runner in providing anything approaching a widely-available service. Still think the 25000 song limit on iTunes Match sucks, though
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote