Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-28-2010, 06:35 PM   #1
srb12
srb12 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs 950
How to get ebooks off my sony 950 & onto pc!?

Help! I want to get books off the ereader and onto my pc. As a new ereader owner (this is my first, but I've been looking at them a couple of years) that can't afford to spend too much time on this before going back to work this week I could use some advice.

Although I planned on primarily downloading to pc and transferring to reader via usb, I ended up immediately using the sony 950 to directly download both free books from google & paid books from sony store - it was actually quite convenient (finished a cliffhanger book at 11pm & immediately bought the sequel without leaving my warm bed!). I want to sync them to sd card, pc or both. Can't get it to work with Sony Reader software (using sync buttons or drag/drop) or Calibre.

Calibre is not even recognizing the books on my sony (only lists the original excerpts/samples out of the box, not a single one of my books). So far, only able to get purchased books on pc by signing into ereader store & downloading them again. In the future, it would be great if they would sync both ways so I always have back ups in case pc or sony reader crashes/breaks/stolen. Thanks!!
srb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:11 PM   #2
vulcan_girl
Groupie
vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350
If the 950 works the same way as the 650 and 505, I would plug in the reader, open the drive in My Computer and copy files to your PC.
vulcan_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:32 PM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

I'm not sure which store you are using, but any books bought through the Sony Reader Store are available for download/redownload at any time. If you want to sync you will have to use the Sony Reader Library app, which is sucky, but it gets the job done. (By sync I mean using the Sony Sync function--not merely adding books to your 950. You can sideload books via a direct copy from your PC, use a SD or MS card, use calibre, etc.) Any book downloaded via the Sony Reader Library app is stored on your PC.

Last edited by jswinden; 12-28-2010 at 10:36 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:11 AM   #4
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
You should be able to transfer books over with the SONY Reader Library. I do it all the time, both ways (purchase stuff on the device and transfer it to my pc and other way around).

Not sure what kind of problem you are having.

One possibility is that the Reader Library is not registered/authenticated or whatever they call that... and hence you can't transfer to it. Open the software, go to the store, open your account ('manage my account' or whatever) then click on "Manage/Rename Devices" under "My devices". You should see your PC there. If not, follow the on-screen instructions to add it. You can only have 1 PC and 2 devices authorized at the same time on the same account.

Another possibility is that you are not dragging to the right spot when 'dragging and dropping'. IF you try to drop a book from a device into a collection in your Library, it won't work. You have to drag and drop it into the actually "Library". Then, from there, you can transfer it to a collection.

I had problems with synch as well. It works when I transfer content from the PC to the device, but it sometimes won't work the other way around, even if I select the correct options from the settings.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backup, sony, sync, transfer