Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 09-30-2010, 10:21 PM   #886
Ragzilla
Ragzilla began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Success! I hope. On the updater popup I got a loading bar. The current software version matches the new software version. And it says PRS-505 is up to date.

The reader is showing the USB icon and a ! inside a triangle.

I have a nervousness about disconnecting the reader. But here goes.
Ragzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 12:07 AM   #887
Ragzilla

things are progressing. But not quite there. After reflashing I press #5, I get "image created successfully and can be flashed now". I then press #6 (flash the image), and I get "Flashing was successful. Rebooting" The reader restarts and it goes back to the "Run Script" page with the choices:
3:backup firmware
4:copy image from the card
5:make a new image
6:flash the image
7:switch to firmware update mode

Any ideas?
Old 10-01-2010, 06:02 AM   #888
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragzilla View Post
things are progressing. But not quite there. After reflashing I press #5, I get "image created successfully and can be flashed now". I then press #6 (flash the image), and I get "Flashing was successful. Rebooting" The reader restarts and it goes back to the "Run Script" page with the choices:
3:backup firmware
4:copy image from the card
5:make a new image
6:flash the image
7:switch to firmware update mode

Any ideas?
When it was rebooting you should have removed the SD card. Pull the SD card and reboot your reader.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:26 AM   #889
Ragzilla

Okay, things are working.

I have my reader back!!! That is the important thing.
I want to thank you all for your help.

I don't think all the customizer fully took tho. I am still seeing "reader" in the upper left corner, not the info I input.

Thanks again.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:31 AM   #890
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragzilla View Post
Okay, things are working.

I have my reader back!!! That is the important thing.
I want to thank you all for your help.

I don't think all the customizer fully took tho. I am still seeing "reader" in the upper left corner, not the info I input.

Thanks again.
Yes it did. Look in Settings/About. Personal Logo is something else entirely. From message 1 of this thread:

Quote:
* Personal logo.
=================
Did you know you could change your Reader's logo? (The black bar at the top of the screen that says "Reader.") You'll need access to a graphics editor, such as Photoshop or Gimp. In the directory prsfiles, you'll see two files: logo.png and kBookAssets.png. The logo.png file is a 210x70 file. Add your personalization details to this file, and paste it into the upper left corner of the kBookAssets.png file, covering the large text "Reader." Once you're done, you can select the "Replace logo" checkbox. After you flash and reboot, you should have a customized logo.
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:32 AM   #891
Ragzilla

Ok, my fault. I misunderstood where my name would go. Please disregard.
Old 10-23-2010, 07:32 PM   #892
tapf!
Enthusiast
tapf! began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Did i get it right, that Sony is not offering a Updater with the German 1.4 Firmware? So is it possible to back it up before flashing the US 1.1? I tried with PRSCustomizer, but it I get the "not supported firmware" when I run nr. 3

Best Regards,

Fabian
tapf! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 06:43 AM   #893
surquizu
Evangelist
surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, kobo auraHD, kobo auraH2O, kobo Glo HD, kobo aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by tapf! View Post
Did i get it right, that Sony is not offering a Updater with the German 1.4 Firmware? So is it possible to back it up before flashing the US 1.1? I tried with PRSCustomizer, but it I get the "not supported firmware" when I run nr. 3

Best Regards,

Fabian
http://rapidshare.com/files/337985084/DE_new_opt.zip
surquizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:23 AM   #894
aurinko3112
aurinko3112 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-505
Hi, I have customised my sony prs-505. I have 1.2 UK versin. From fonts i chouse Unicode Becouse i am bulgarian i would like to read bulgarian books
From PRSCustamiser 1.04 I chose:
1.Personalized About Screen (Name,Telephone,Email)
2. Fonts: Unicode
3.Turn off right justification for BBeB books

Now in the menu I have book titles in bulgarian (cyrilic) but when i open the book i have only ???????????????????????? Did I miss someting. Tenks!
aurinko3112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 05:42 PM   #895
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurinko3112 View Post
Hi, I have customised my sony prs-505. I have 1.2 UK versin. From fonts i chouse Unicode Becouse i am bulgarian i would like to read bulgarian books
From PRSCustamiser 1.04 I chose:
1.Personalized About Screen (Name,Telephone,Email)
2. Fonts: Unicode
3.Turn off right justification for BBeB books

Now in the menu I have book titles in bulgarian (cyrilic) but when i open the book i have only ???????????????????????? Did I miss someting. Tenks!
Try a redownload/reflash.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:16 PM   #896
nullgraph
nullgraph began at the beginning.

Device: prs 505
Hello, I used PRSCustomizer for my PRS-505 with firmware US 1.1. In font, I chose Unicode because I want to read Vietnamese. After flashing successfully (I can see the clock, also the personalized info in About), I opened a Vietnamese epub but could only see some of the special characters (for example, "á" is missing). Thinking that maybe the unicode font generated by PRSCustomizer doesn't have the complete Vietnamese range, I followed the "*VERY* detailed guide on changing default Reader fonts" and changed the name of my Arial font (which I know works because my Calibre can read Vnese epub just fine) to Dutch801 Rm BT. I then flash my reader again with the new font replaced the default one, but don't see any improvement. I then decided that it might not be just this one font so changed all three default fonts as per the *VERY* detailed guide. A few bricks later (copy font name wrong, etc), and I managed to get the reader to understand all three fonts, the menu font even changed, but I open the book, and still see the same thing. A verbatim sample of it:

"Mô?t tha?ng sau, tôi ???t chân lên bê?n ca?ng"

where it should have been "Một tháng sau, tôi đặt chân lên bến cảng".

Just to be safe, I opened the font I created with FontCreator and checked that all the glyphs I wanted are present, and sure enough, they are all there.

I was also concerned that this particular book that I have may be broken (despite being able to read it in Calibre), so I got a different one, but still the same problem.

I initially thought this was a font problem because some of the letters are displayed, but at this point, I'm not so sure anymore. Any idea what it could be? TIA.
nullgraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 02:31 AM   #897
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
Hi, and welcome to MR nullgraph!

This thread and methode are very old and belongs to LRF/BBeB books.
The epub-renderer uses another set of fonts!

Go and search for pepaks font-hack, which enables the use of userstyle.css für epubs, or have a look at PRS+
HTH
Mark
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 02:32 AM   #898
JeffElkins
Guru

PRSCustomizer is no longer under active development. I'm now using a different reader, since my 505 died. Sorry, I can't offer any help at all with advanced font issues. Hopefully, someone else can assist.

Last edited by JeffElkins; 06-14-2011 at 02:38 AM.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:57 AM   #899
nullgraph
nullgraph began at the beginning.

Device: prs 505
Thanks for the quick reply, Mark and Jeff. Will try the suggestions.
nullgraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:09 AM   #900
jotran2003
jotran2003 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-505
nullgraph
I've been reading vietnamese books on the prs-505 for a couple years. Even after using font hack I could never read epub books correctly.

I end up embedding fonts into epub file. I found this site - http://fontchu.com/- to be useful with lots of Vietnamese-compatible fonts.
Watch out for fonts with large file size - it does slow down page turning etc. The above site has good fonts with characters relevant to Vietnamese only thus keeping the file size down.

I used Windows character map to ensure that fonts file contains: ấ or ử i.e. multi-symbols over the letters.
I'm still trying to find the "best" font for my eyes
jotran2003 is offline   Reply With Quote