Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-28-2022, 04:40 PM   #1
tschucha
Zealot
tschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Kobo Sage
Will we be getting a 10inch 300DPI Kobo?

https://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/20...d-pen-for-339/

Looks like Amazon is first to market with 1 10 inch 300DPI eReader screen.

Think Kobo will be following suit? I'd love to have a 10 inch pure eReader with 300DPI!
tschucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 05:06 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Perhaps in a couple of years, as the Elipsa isn't that old yet. Too soon to replace it.

Personally I'm not interested in 10'' readers.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2022, 05:12 PM   #3
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
A 10" reader would be too large and heavy to hold when reading, so I doubt it.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 05:17 PM   #4
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
I doubt Kobo is going to replace the Elipsa just yet, it's just over a year old. And 73 dpi alone probably isn't enough of a push for them to scrap it.

That extra 0.1 inch is not insignificant either, and will likely have a bigger impact than the 73 DPI difference unless you're doing some graphic heavy work. Which would probably be done better on a tablet anyway.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 06:15 PM   #5
Mercador
I'm not a number!
Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
The bigger the better but a good dpi is important too. I use an Elipsa every day but the dpi is too low to read small characters on a pdf. I thought I could read my DnD pdfs on Elipsa without zooming but no can do. I hope for a bigger reader now.
Mercador is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2022, 06:23 PM   #6
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I would also like a 10" ereader (for my mother) strictly for novel reading. She has an 8" now, and uses a large font size. Even with the larger 8" screen, she doesn't get many words per page due to the large font size.

The new Kindle with 300 dpi and warm lighting looks tempting. The limiting factor is the limited font controls (font size, kine spacing, ...)
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 06:33 PM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I would also like a 10" ereader (for my mother) strictly for novel reading. She has an 8" now, and uses a large font size. Even with the larger 8" screen, she doesn't get many words per page due to the large font size.

The new Kindle with 300 dpi and warm lighting looks tempting. The limiting factor is the limited font controls (font size, kine spacing, ...)
You can have custom font sizes on a Kindle with the FONT_RAMP hack (not more sizes, but customized to your liking, i.e. more middle sizes or more large sizes). Margins can be narrowed with Calibre. For line-spacing, sideloading a font with a suitable line-height will help.

I know, it all sounds like a lot more work than it's worth. That's why I'm selling my Oasis now...
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 06:49 PM   #8
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
You can have custom font sizes on a Kindle with the FONT_RAMP hack (not more sizes, but customized to your liking, i.e. more middle sizes or more large sizes). Margins can be narrowed with Calibre. For line-spacing, sideloading a font with a suitable line-height will help.

I know, it all sounds like a lot more work than it's worth. That's why I'm selling my Oasis now...
I had used the FONT_RAMP in the past. And I do patch Kobos to get what I want.

Also, I would normaly be concerned about the weight of the device. But seeing as how she is so stationary, it would always be resting on something, so I am less conserned about the weight.
Old 09-28-2022, 10:25 PM   #9
UCCU666
Enthusiast
UCCU666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UCCU666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UCCU666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UCCU666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UCCU666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UCCU666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UCCU666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UCCU666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UCCU666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UCCU666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UCCU666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma/Elipsa/Clara 2E/Libra 2, mooInk Plus 2, Pubook Pro 10.3
Kobo Elipsa 2E ~~ Interesting
UCCU666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 10:32 PM   #10
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCCU666 View Post
Kobo Elipsa 2E ~~ Interesting
And not unlikely, imo - but not this year, I think.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 11:45 PM   #11
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Could you provide an estimate of how many words fit on a page? I've been wondering how much you can fit on a single page when you potentially have to increase the font size beyond what you'd get in a large-print book.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 12:26 AM   #12
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boyue Likebook P78
Nothing in the works, at least for FCC filing by kobo: https://fccid.io/NOI
Deobulakenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 05:49 AM   #13
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Could you provide an estimate of how many words fit on a page? I've been wondering how much you can fit on a single page when you potentially have to increase the font size beyond what you'd get in a large-print book.
Attached are two pictures. The first is at the size she reads. I haven't seen a large print book, but I'm guessing the second picture is a guess.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2141.jpg
Views:	2841
Size:	477.0 KB
ID:	196855   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2142.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	507.9 KB
ID:	196856  
Old 09-29-2022, 06:46 AM   #14
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
She might find any 10"+ size ereader too heavy. I'd not read ebooks on the Elipsa (10.3" and lighter than Kindle Scribe). I use about x2 size text as the wife on my Sage than she does on her Sage.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 07:11 AM   #15
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
She might find any 10"+ size ereader too heavy. I'd not read ebooks on the Elipsa (10.3" and lighter than Kindle Scribe). I use about x2 size text as the wife on my Sage than she does on her Sage.
If you are referring to my posts, from an earlier post:

Quote:

Also, I would normaly be concerned about the weight of the device. But seeing as how she is so stationary, it would always be resting on something, so I am less conserned about the weight.