Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-11-2012, 06:43 AM   #1
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Kindle w/ Special Offers Celebrates 1st Year

A year ago today, Amazon introduced the Special Offers Kindle. It was released two weeks later on 27 Apr. At first, the offers were really great and routinely dropped every four days, with some days seeing two to three offers at a time. It didn't take long for early adopters to generate enough in savings to pay for their Kindles multiple times over.

Now the offers are few and far between, and generally nothing to get excited about. Ads now predominate; especially AmazonLocal. It appears that Amazon dangled enough carrots in the beginning to get customers to buy these ad supported Kindles and now no longer feels the offers are needed to entice new buyers; with the price difference of $30-$40 between the SO vs non-SO models being sufficient enough. The SO models are now the standard.

Being an early adopter, I saved enough money to pay for my Kindle several times over. The ads don't bother me, because you have to go out of your way to see them. So overall, I'm quite pleased. If I were buying today, I'd still get a Special Offer model, but only because it's $30-$40 cheaper. I certainly wouldn't get it for the offers, because they'll never pay for the Kindle like they did in the beginning of the program.

Thoughts? How many took advantage of these models? Was it worth it? Who paid the difference to get the ads removed? Which of you don't want ads of any sort on your ereaders?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:27 AM   #2
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Im with you tube, got mine almost a year ago, it will be one year in three months. I look at it this way - I hate to have the same screen blanker up for several days as I get board looking at it quickly. What the special offers provides is the ability to have the screen blankers changed for me automatically. I do nothing and amazon will keep changing the screen blankers every few days for me - its a win win situation.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2012, 07:56 AM   #3
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KDX Graphite, Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Who paid the difference to get the ads removed? Which of you don't want ads of any sort on your ereaders?
My wife and I got our KTs about 6 weeks ago and both paid to cancel the offers within a few days. I didn't like Huggies ads taking up space on my home screen.
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote