Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 05-14-2016, 01:27 AM   #1
Ulixes
Ulixes began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Pelican protective case for Onyx N96: will it fit?

I just received my new Onyx N96 Dual Touch and am very pleased with the initial experience. What massive progress since the M92! I'll be happy to answer any questions people may have about it.

To avoid screen damage again, I am looking for a very strong protective case. The Pelican 1065CC and the Pelican i1065 both seem attractive, but I'm worried that the Onyx may not exactly fit.

For the 1065CC, the dimensions of the interior are given as:
9.96" x 7.76" x 0.81" (25.3 x 19.7 x 2.1 cm)

However, the N96 measures 25.8 x 17.7 cm. This is 0.5 cm too tall!

Does anyone know from experience whether it would work? For example, perhaps the interior of the Pelican case is soft and flexible enough to give in 0.5 cm without putting too much pressure on the screen?

I would also be very grateful to hear from other readers how they protect their Onyx when it's placed inside a suitcase or rucksack.
Ulixes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 11:59 AM   #2
Ulixes

To answer my own question, I ordered the Pelican 1065CC. It's a beautiful case but there's no way it can possibly fit the Boox N96. The Boox is about 0.5 cm too tall. This means I'm unable to find a suitably hard protective case that doesn't have the size of a laptop case. I'm resigning myself to leaving it at home ...

Although the screen is much firmer than that of the Boox M92, it still looks much more fragile than an iPad (which I always carry inside my daypack without any special protection). I'm not taking any risks at the nearly 400 euros I paid for this treasure (for that's what it is).

Suggestions welcome!
Advert
Old 05-20-2016, 12:08 PM   #3
stardest
Enthusiast
stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: None
You may have to use the actual N96 cased issued by Onyx. Luckily I got a free case for my N96ML and it is definitely hard and thick and protects the back and especially the front. Amazon and Ebay may have it. I don't think there's other cases specifically made for the Onyx yet. I wish there was one that had a hand handle.

Have you figured out how to make the font smaller for the overall device itself (not the ebooks font) if you know what I mean?

Also did you root your Onyx or not? If you did not, can you tell me what recommended apps you have installed?

Thanks.
stardest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 11:33 PM   #4
Hrafn
Fanatic
Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Poke 5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e 10.5
Rigid cases for 10" tablets aren't that uncommon: here's one example ("Fits devices 10.6 x 0.6 x 7.5 in").

O'course if you want something as near-bulletproof as a Pelican case, you'll be a lot more limited as far as their sizes go (and will probably have to go with their smallest laptop case, the 1075 -- which only weighs about 20% more than the 1065). It's a trade off between bulk and protection.
Hrafn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 10:32 AM   #5
machinogodzilla
Addict
machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PBook 902† Kindle† Nook SimpleTouch† Onyx M92† i86† M96 N96ML NotePro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulixes View Post
However, the N96 measures 25.8 x 17.7 cm. This is 0.5 cm too tall!
I would also be very grateful to hear from other readers how they protect their Onyx when it's placed inside a suitcase or rucksack.
Interesting, Onyx has grown, the M96 is 24.0 x 17.7 cm. I found the original thick cover for M96 rugged enough for travelling with the reader stored in the padded laptop compartment of my backpack (sometimes sharing that compartment with a laptop, laptop going in first) on coaches, trains and planes. But I'm not entirely convinced by the look of the one for N96, which I'm planning to upgrade to. Also there is that stylus sticking out just asking for getting lost or damaged as you go through the security screening and wrestle with your luggage...

Those Pelican covers seem really cool. As Hrafn said, If you are desperate you could go for the "pick'n'pluck" model, like 1075 one, but it's over 2cm thicker (another trade-off, that would eat up all the space for the laptop in my case, so probably a no-go). The Arca cover he suggested seems a good compromise and it apparently offers a "configuration for in-case use" which I find important (I never take my reader out of its case).
machinogodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2016, 12:49 PM   #6
Ulixes

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardest View Post
You may have to use the actual N96 cased issued by Onyx. Luckily I got a free case for my N96ML and it is definitely hard and thick and protects the back and especially the front. Amazon and Ebay may have it. I don't think there's other cases specifically made for the Onyx yet. I wish there was one that had a hand handle.

Have you figured out how to make the font smaller for the overall device itself (not the ebooks font) if you know what I mean?

Also did you root your Onyx or not? If you did not, can you tell me what recommended apps you have installed?

Thanks.
Hi, thanks for your reply. I have no idea how to change fonts and had to look up what 'rooting' means in this context, so no. I've also found the scribbling line way too thick and insensitive, compared to that on the M92, where it was possible to actually write in really fine print.

I don't install apps and never go online with the Onyx; I have an iPad and laptop for those purposes. I use the Onyx only for annotating and exporting PDFs. Sorry not to be of much help.
Old 05-21-2016, 12:55 PM   #7
Ulixes

Thanks for the other tips, guys. I'm now considering this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Onyx-Boox-N9...-/282017443768. The Arca cover doesn't seem sturdy enough to me; I may sound overly nervous, but I've had two damaged (though not broken) screens on the M92. Can't afford to buy a new Onyx twice a year.
Old 05-21-2016, 06:13 PM   #8
stardest
Enthusiast
stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: None
Ulixes the ebay cover you have is the one that I got. It definitely feels sturdy and should protect the screen. I think it is magnetic and it puts the Onyx to sleep when closed. The only thing is there is no way to use it as a stand (like those other tablet/Ipad cases. Its basically just a cover.
stardest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 02:58 AM   #9
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Take a look at this:

http://de.dawanda.com/shop/mosus

This is a Dawanda shop in Germany (marketplace for hand-made stuff) offering book covers for "normal" (6") e-readers.

I have one that I used on my old Kindle Keyboard, which I now use for my Asus tablet. It's really nice, and possibly there are similar products available in your country.

When I get a 10" e-reader, I will ask the lady whether she can make one in that size...

Or one of these..... http://ebookfriendly.com/best-ipad-case-covers/

Last edited by Andy_T; 05-30-2016 at 03:02 AM.
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote