Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-18-2009, 12:23 PM   #16
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZA View Post
Tips/Tricks:
  1. If you have a web site of your own, just copy your entire library structure and the new _CATALOG directory to the server, and follow itimpi's instructions on adding an online stanza catalog to your iPhone.
  2. Otherwise you have to turn your PC into a web server on your wifi network. That requires some savvy; set up a website in IIS mapped to the calibre library directory, disable or open your firewall, find your PC's IP, then do as per itimpi's instructions to add an online stanza catalog to your iPhone. If you know this stuff it's dead easy, but if you don't, rather stick to option 1
Step 2 needn't be that complicated. Prior to installing Apache on my computer, I was using the very simple and easy to use HTTP File Server (HFS) by rejetto for simple http file serving. You just add your Calibre library folder to HFS (Menu -> Add folder from disk -> (select folder you want to share) -> Real Folder). It's even nice enough to display your local IP address (home network) for you and it can even find your external IP address (internet). For simple file sharing tasks such as this one, rejetto HFS is pretty good. If you want to share your library over the internet (e.g. so you can access via 3G when you're not at home), you can easily password protect your folders (right-click on folder -> Set user/pass).

Last edited by ilovejedd; 03-18-2009 at 12:28 PM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:09 AM   #17
Enuf
Enuf began at the beginning.

Device: eeePC 900, iphone and PRS300
Hi Guys

Anyone having problems using calibre with bonjour to view and download from calibre library? When I first installed calibre 0.5.2 I could view and download books. I since upgraded to 0.5.3. I'm not sure if I need to change some settings or whether the fact that I now have over 450 books in calibre is causing the problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Enuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2009, 10:42 PM   #18
markz68
markz68 began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch/Kindle on order
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Step 2 needn't be that complicated. Prior to installing Apache on my computer, I was using the very simple and easy to use HTTP File Server (HFS) by rejetto for simple http file serving. You just add your Calibre library folder to HFS (Menu -> Add folder from disk -> (select folder you want to share) -> Real Folder). It's even nice enough to display your local IP address (home network) for you and it can even find your external IP address (internet). For simple file sharing tasks such as this one, rejetto HFS is pretty good. If you want to share your library over the internet (e.g. so you can access via 3G when you're not at home), you can easily password protect your folders (right-click on folder -> Set user/pass).
Has anyone tried this yet? I'd love to get this to work. It says the "Catalog is empty".
markz68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 11:12 PM   #19
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
I had no problems setting up my iTouch to access Calibre via my router. And have upgraded to 0.5.3 and it' still working great. Maybe it is the large number of books you have. While my library is over 600 books, I only access about 50 that have been converted to epub.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 01:47 AM   #20
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markz68 View Post
Has anyone tried this yet? I'd love to get this to work. It says the "Catalog is empty".
Just confirming...
  • Did you run Calibre2Web to generate the XML files?
  • Did you add the whole Calibre folder to HFS?
  • What address are you using to connect to the catalog?
  • Have you added a firewall exception for HFS?
  • Do you have ebooks in .epub format?

As Stanza only supports the .epub format currently (ereader might be, too but I don't know of any authoring tools), Calibre2Web will only catalog files in your library that are already in .epub format.
Advert
Old 03-29-2009, 09:20 AM   #21
Mrgauth
Addict
Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3
Help me understand something. I am considering getting an I Touch and one of the main reasons is quick book reading while on the go. Are there easy ways to get books on it, because I don't want to be converting files and manipulating software all day, and are there places with lots of titles? I would be very disappointed to find that 1 in 10 of the books I want are viable via the Ipod since that is one of the main reasons I want the thing.

Thanks.
Mrgauth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 10:36 AM   #22
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrgauth View Post
I would be very disappointed to find that 1 in 10 of the books I want are viable via the Ipod since that is one of the main reasons I want the thing.
Yes, you have several options. Mainly eReader books from Fictionwise using the eReader or Stanza app. Or if you are in the US you can get the Kindle app and buy Kindle ebooks from Amazon. Probably the later is the best price and selection.

You should really check the ebook stores to see what they have first.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 11:04 AM   #23
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The primary issue is that you can't with the standard iPhone/touch software copy files via USB from your PC. This is the lowest common denominator for ebook access with all other devices. In an increasingly connected world, the iPhone approach is a viable alternative but it does require your ebooks to be on a web server.

In addition to eReader ebooks, Stanza has announced future support for Adobe ePub and PDF ebooks. From their press release:
Quote:
The integrated technology will allow Stanza users to enjoy eBooks sold or loaned by any retailer or library, who distribute eBooks protected with Adobe Content Server 4.
This suggests that Stanza on iPhone/touch will be the first portable device able to directly download Adobe ebooks. The Sony requires download via a Windows or Mac PC.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 11:25 AM   #24
Enuf
Enuf began at the beginning.

Device: eeePC 900, iphone and PRS300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
I had no problems setting up my iTouch to access Calibre via my router. And have upgraded to 0.5.3 and it' still working great. Maybe it is the large number of books you have. While my library is over 600 books, I only access about 50 that have been converted to epub.

cheers
Thanks Leep. I think the number of books in the library is the issue alright. I might run a second version of calibre with fewer books and see how that works.
Enuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 04:26 PM   #25
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
I decided to put some ebooks on the iTouch for Stanza and I found out that using the Stanza desktop to convert to epub and to download them on the Touch worked fast and nicely. From all kinds of formats, lit, prc, txt, html, even pdf. The epubs generated by Stanza seem similar to the ones generated by Calibre in quality

Calibre was way slower in converting and it crashed twice even with 23 books or so as it usually does on many ebooks, and if not it takes a loong time and clogs my Pc so i cannot do anything else anyway.

I have not tried the Stanza epubs on my 700 though I saved them on my pc, but I still like lrf for the 700 since it's better rendered and faster.

So try Stanza desktop and direct downloading too - while for organizing books on the Pc nothing stops you to save your epubs in the Calibre directory of the given book to have a unified library, author based rather than device based
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 06:46 AM   #26
markz68

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Just confirming...
  • Did you run Calibre2Web to generate the XML files?
  • Did you add the whole Calibre folder to HFS?
  • What address are you using to connect to the catalog?
  • Have you added a firewall exception for HFS?
  • Do you have ebooks in .epub format?

As Stanza only supports the .epub format currently (ereader might be, too but I don't know of any authoring tools), Calibre2Web will only catalog files in your library that are already in .epub format.
Oh, I think I forgot the Calibre2Web step.

I store my folder of books outside of the Calibre program folder. Do I need to add any of the Calibre program folders to HFS, or just where the books are actually stored.

I haven't done the firewall exception yet. I was trying to get it to work with my inside IP address until I get it working. Then I can turn the software firewall back on and do the exception.

Yes, I have the books I need in EPUB. I already have the Calibre working great the way it was intended. Just not with this method for accessing them from anywhere.

Thanks for the help. I will start back at the Calibre2Web and see if that was the problem!
Old 04-03-2009, 06:51 AM   #27
markz68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liviu_5 View Post
I decided to put some ebooks on the iTouch for Stanza and I found out that using the Stanza desktop to convert to epub and to download them on the Touch worked fast and nicely. From all kinds of formats, lit, prc, txt, html, even pdf. The epubs generated by Stanza seem similar to the ones generated by Calibre in quality

Calibre was way slower in converting and it crashed twice even with 23 books or so as it usually does on many ebooks, and if not it takes a loong time and clogs my Pc so i cannot do anything else anyway.
I have converted the same books via Stanza Desktop & Calibre. I find that Calibre does a much better job on the ones I was working with. The TOC was actually usable, not just broken in arbitrary places wherever Stanza Desktop decided to put breaks. Also, if the book had any illustrations/pictures, Stanza Desktop dropped them, while Calibre included them.

My coworker & I both have iPod Touches. She is using Stanza Desktop still. We both have the same book on our Touches, and are using Stanza to read them. I was able to show her the differences between how Stanza Desktop & Calibre converted them.

I figured that the speed issue was because Calibre was actually working harder to maintain the quality.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:01 AM   #28
abrizz
Enthusiast
abrizz began at the beginning.

Device: none
I would just like to thank you all for all the information about using an Ipod Touch as an ereader. This thread basicly opened up my eyes to the possibility to use it as such.
I am currently looking to get an Ipod touch or Iphone 3G. It is leaning towards the Ipod Touch at the moment because of the price difference. And I would also prefer an android phone instead. I just don't really like the hardware of the android phones at the moment.

I have always been against the whole apple-itunes unflexible solution but I think it might be worth the hassle to use this device. I have read hints about different applications that enable you to use the device in a more open way in regards to moving files between it and your computer. This is something I will have to investigate abit more.

So thanks again for the great guide! I will surely post here more often once I get a device to read on
abrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 08:43 AM   #29
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Oh, I think I forgot the Calibre2Web step.
Note that Calibre does have a built-in HTTP server and hosts its own Stanza catalog. The only reason we choose to use Calibre2Web is because for a library with hundreds of books, the built-in Calibre catalog is impractical. Calibre2Web presents you with a hierarchical view (titles are categorized) whereas Calibre just gives you a flat view of your books. To enable the built-in server in Calibre, go to Preferences >> Content Server and click on Start Server. You might also want to enable Run server automatically on startup. The address of the catalog would be:
Code:
http://ip_address_of_your_computer:8080/stanza
Quote:
I store my folder of books outside of the Calibre program folder. Do I need to add any of the Calibre program folders to HFS, or just where the books are actually stored.
The program folder, no. You just need the actual library with the books and the _CATALOG folder that Calibre2Web generates.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:20 AM   #30
darkmonk
Connoisseur
darkmonk began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hello all - this topic has been a bastion of info - but I am wondering if there is not any better way to import books onto the ipod touch? I am rarely connected, and so would like to have them all on it.
Thanks
darkmonk is offline   Reply With Quote