Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Boyue

Notices

Old 10-13-2018, 03:16 AM   #1
flyx
flyx began at the beginning.

Device: Boyou T80
Exclamation How install dictionary on Boyue likebook ?

Default dictionary is empty and it seems need database , But i dunno what folder i have to move data and in what format
plz guide me , Thanks
flyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 10:25 AM   #2
orebmur
Veteran Linux user
orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue Likebook Note & Mimas, Hisense A5, hopefully soon a PineNote
If it is a Likebook Note we are talking about, then there is no way to get rid and/or replace the built in English/Chinese dictionary. I had to resort installing Goldendict in order to use other dictionaries. Unfortunately, while Goldendict is much more versatile and useful as a standalone dictionary application, it doesn't integrate well with other applications. I use Librera as my main reading software as the built in one is a bit limited.

Boyue promised in a private conversation to fix the dictionary integration at the end of the month. That's what they told me in August. Now we are in mid October and nothing happened until i checked last yesterday.

I'd wish Boyue just put the source code of their software on github so we could fix such limitations ourselves.
orebmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2018, 07:11 PM   #3
blue_skies
Evangelist
blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue T62+; Boyue Mimas; and my old Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyx View Post
Default dictionary is empty and it seems need database , But i dunno what folder i have to move data and in what format
plz guide me , Thanks
I have a different Boyue model and I struggled with the same issue. Perhaps this thread will be helpful. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...01#post3668301 The solution I found has worked for other eReaders.

Good luck!
blue_skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 01:47 AM   #4
aduffbrew
Enthusiast
aduffbrew is a jewel in the roughaduffbrew is a jewel in the roughaduffbrew is a jewel in the roughaduffbrew is a jewel in the roughaduffbrew is a jewel in the roughaduffbrew is a jewel in the roughaduffbrew is a jewel in the roughaduffbrew is a jewel in the roughaduffbrew is a jewel in the roughaduffbrew is a jewel in the roughaduffbrew is a jewel in the rough

Device: Boox Nova 2 & iPad Mini 5
Ha. This isn’t your fault. It’s Boyue’s. Great hardware but their software is awful. I’m assuming you have a Likebook Plus running the original firmware or one of its supported updates (not the beta version 2). These instructions will allow you to use the included eReader and included dictionary app together.

1. Download a Stardict compatible dictionary from anywhere.

I used the Webster’s from here: http://download.huzheng.org/dict.org/ My Likebook Plus saved the file under /Download (technically /Sdcard/Download depending on which file manager you use). Why there is also a /Downloads directory, I don’t know.

2. Unpack the dictionary file.

More than likely, the dictionary download is in a compressed format. In my case, it’s in the tarball format. You’ll need a program to do this. On my Likebook, I just used: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rlab.rar&hl=en. Point it to your file you just downloaded and run it. I just let it extract right in the same directory.

3. Move the dictionary files to /Dict (/Sdcard/Dict). Create the directory if you haven’t already.

In my case, they were comprised of the following:
dictd_www.dict.org_gcide.dict.dz
dictd_www.dict.org_gcide.idx
dictd_www.dict.org_gcide.oft
dictd_www.dict.org_gcide.ifo

Don’t ask me what all these files do or if they really are all needed. I just know it works.

4. Add the dictionary to the dictionary app.

Launch the Dictionary app. Select the gear icon in the upper left corner. Under “Dictionary Results”, you see your dictionary. Make sure it’s selected and hit “Save” in the lower left corner.

Should should now be able to type in a work in the search box and get a definition. Also, highlighting a word in the included eReader and invoking the dictionary will also work. (The eReader dictionary does not work in version 2 of the firmware for some reason).

If this doesn’t work, that means something’s off with the app’s cached settings. Clear the cache and re-add the dictionary. You do that by going to Android Settings, Apps, All, Dictionary and select “Clear Data” and “Clear Cache”.

* I just noticed you have the T80 model. I have the T80S. You might have an updated firmware. In which case, you’re out of luck until they update the firmware. Dictionary will still work on its own but the included eReader is locked into English to Chinese as noted in a previous post. If that’s the case, there are several 3rd party eReader apps and dictionaries that work well. We can recommend some if needed.

Last edited by aduffbrew; 10-26-2018 at 02:22 AM. Reason: Added T80 model acknowledgement
aduffbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 05:58 AM   #5
JS_F
Connoisseur
JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.

Device: Sony DPT RP1, Remarkable
Quote:
Originally Posted by aduffbrew View Post
Ha. This isn’t your fault. It’s Boyue’s. Great hardware but their software is awful. I’m assuming you have a Likebook Plus running the original firmware or one of its supported updates (not the beta version 2). These instructions will allow you to use the included eReader and included dictionary app together.

1. Download a Stardict compatible dictionary from anywhere.

I used the Webster’s from here: http://download.huzheng.org/dict.org/ My Likebook Plus saved the file under /Download (technically /Sdcard/Download depending on which file manager you use). Why there is also a /Downloads directory, I don’t know.

2. Unpack the dictionary file.

More than likely, the dictionary download is in a compressed format. In my case, it’s in the tarball format. You’ll need a program to do this. On my Likebook, I just used: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rlab.rar&hl=en. Point it to your file you just downloaded and run it. I just let it extract right in the same directory.

3. Move the dictionary files to /Dict (/Sdcard/Dict). Create the directory if you haven’t already.

In my case, they were comprised of the following:
dictd_www.dict.org_gcide.dict.dz
dictd_www.dict.org_gcide.idx
dictd_www.dict.org_gcide.oft
dictd_www.dict.org_gcide.ifo

Don’t ask me what all these files do or if they really are all needed. I just know it works.

4. Add the dictionary to the dictionary app.

Launch the Dictionary app. Select the gear icon in the upper left corner. Under “Dictionary Results”, you see your dictionary. Make sure it’s selected and hit “Save” in the lower left corner.

Should should now be able to type in a work in the search box and get a definition. Also, highlighting a word in the included eReader and invoking the dictionary will also work. (The eReader dictionary does not work in version 2 of the firmware for some reason).

If this doesn’t work, that means something’s off with the app’s cached settings. Clear the cache and re-add the dictionary. You do that by going to Android Settings, Apps, All, Dictionary and select “Clear Data” and “Clear Cache”.

* I just noticed you have the T80 model. I have the T80S. You might have an updated firmware. In which case, you’re out of luck until they update the firmware. Dictionary will still work on its own but the included eReader is locked into English to Chinese as noted in a previous post. If that’s the case, there are several 3rd party eReader apps and dictionaries that work well. We can recommend some if needed.
I think you also need to reboot the device afterwards.
JS_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2019, 11:46 AM   #6
Incanus
Incanus
Incanus doesn't litterIncanus doesn't litterIncanus doesn't litter

Device: Boyue Likebook T80D
English to Spanish Dictionary Recommendation

Hello:

I've installed a Webster's International Unabridged English dictionary and the RAE Spanish dictionary, both on freedict format and working fine.

However, I am still missing a good English to Spanish (freedict) dictionary; I do have one installed, but it's rather poor: it just gives one word translations... and sometimes it just plain doesn't know the answer.

Is there any English to Spanish (freedict) dictionary that you would recommend and where to download it?

[EDITED] Following a link on this thread, I've found an excellent Babylon English to Spanish freedict dictionary.

Gratefully yours,

[INCANUS]

Last edited by Incanus; 04-04-2019 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Found solution on this thread, updating links
Incanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 07:47 AM   #7
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BL Alita/Mimas/Ares, OB Note2/Note, KA One/H2O/HD, S PRS T2/T1, PB 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by orebmur View Post
...I had to resort installing Goldendict in order to use other dictionaries. Unfortunately, while Goldendict is much more versatile and useful as a standalone dictionary application, it doesn't integrate well with other applications.
It integrates very well with Cool Reader 3.
You can select a single word or a phrase of several words in CR.
I am using CR + GoldenDict combination in all my android readers for years (from Sony PRS-T1/T2 to Onyx Boox Note/Note 2, Boyue LikeBook Mimas/Alita), with about 10 GB of dictionaries in use.
The combination could not be better, because CR is my favorite reader and I would not use any other anyway.
GoldenDict supports many dictionary formats and works well and fast with many dictionaries simultaneously. Unfortunately, it could support e-ink devices better (or at all).
Also it does not support hardware buttons. They could be useful for moving through pages of results in multiple dictionaries. Because even on the newest e-ink devices I prefer virtual up/down buttons (it has them) for jumping by page to scrolling.
But if anybody could point me to a better android dictionary, please do.

Last edited by parkher; 11-30-2019 at 05:12 AM.
parkher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 05:15 AM   #8
bazz2004
Groupie
bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.

Device: Boyue Alita
Sadly I must a complete duffer with these devices. No way could I get anywhere with GoldenDict and StarDict instructions. After zero success and a good deal of time expended I went a different route. There are some excellent dictionaries free to download in the Google Play store. I have Librera as my preferred reading app and it is working very well with the French dictionaries I downloaded. It took very little time too.
bazz2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 08:05 AM   #9
ernieh
Connoisseur
ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch, kobo mini, Icarus Xl, Likebook Mars, Kobo Forma, Pocketboo
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazz2004 View Post
Sadly I must a complete duffer with these devices. No way could I get anywhere with GoldenDict and StarDict instructions. After zero success and a good deal of time expended I went a different route. There are some excellent dictionaries free to download in the Google Play store. I have Librera as my preferred reading app and it is working very well with the French dictionaries I downloaded. It took very little time too.
Not that good at this stuff myself, nevertheless the instructions on this thread are good, with a bit of scratching around was able to install both the Webster 1913 and Oxford dictionary a couple of years ago on my t80 and my mars t80d and my wife's t61d. As I remember it, I did most of the stuff on a PC and just attached to the readers when necessary. Give it another go, make sure your reader has the latest software as the dictionaries don't work with every operating system, ie the inkbook 8 version.

Last edited by ernieh; 06-13-2020 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Grammar, tidy up model numbers
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 03:37 PM   #10
bazz2004
Groupie
bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.

Thanks for the encouragement but I’m not able to see the point. The Alita has now had quite a few updates which don't seem to make much difference to usability. I do have dictionaries working but it is easier to install dictionaries available in the app store. The more I read on the forum the less I rate the Likebooks. I can’t get excited about installing extra fonts, reading comics in B/W or surfing with an unimpressive browser. We were well ripped off with these devices.
Old 06-16-2020, 01:55 AM   #11
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
The more I read on the forum the less I rate the Likebooks. I can’t get excited about installing extra fonts, reading comics in B/W or surfing with an unimpressive browser. We were well ripped off with these devices.
But there is nothing better than eInk if you want to computer in the garden, outdoors, in the sun.
Colored screens can be used in the dark - they are unusable in the light.
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 06:08 AM   #12
bazz2004
Groupie

Maybe, but most people wouldn't want to. Ever looked at an ebook on a PC screen with the colour reversed - white print on a black background? Not something I'd want to do either but it would save eye strain. The versatile e-reader tablet we thought we were buying is nowhere near ready yet. As portable easy to use e-readers go Kobo and Kindle have no serious competition yet.
Old 06-16-2020, 06:34 AM   #13
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Maybe, but most people wouldn't want to. Ever looked at an ebook on a PC screen with the colour reversed - white print on a black background?
Even so, they cannot read in the sun, but with my Likebook Alita I have a computer that I can use outdoors, away from the electricity and in the sun for office applications, construction drawings, for map applications, for internet surfing, for e-mails - in connection with my smartphone.
I have a forest and a large garden, why should I be in the dark when the sun is shining outdoors and I can also work there.
I can also use my computer in the house when it is snowing or raining outside.
Quote:
Not something I'd want to do either but it would save eye strain. The versatile e-reader tablet we thought we were buying is nowhere near ready yet.
Have you already thought that you cannot handle it and are therefore not satisfied with it?
I even use Boox 6 inch devices as glare-free navis in my cars.
Quote:
As portable easy to use e-readers go Kobo and Kindle have no serious competition yet.
Of course, if you are content with the stupid built-in software and make no major demands.
Even if you want to read two columns in landscape format, the very modest hardware equipment no longer works.
The technology of these devices is 15 years old and I am not willing to pay that much money for such scrap.

Last edited by ottischwenk; 06-16-2020 at 06:57 AM.
Old 06-16-2020, 10:16 AM   #14
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
Of course, if you are content with the stupid built-in software and make no major demands.
Even if you want to read two columns in landscape format, the very modest hardware equipment no longer works.
The technology of these devices is 15 years old and I am not willing to pay that much money for such scrap.
There's no need to be upset, dear Ottis. Don't like Kobos? Don't use them. But your angry makes you say crazy things. 15 years old tech?. Hardware not capable of 2column landscape?
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 11:04 AM   #15
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazos View Post
But your angry makes you say crazy things. 15 years old tech?. Hardware not capable of 2column landscape?
You are joking?
My HTC Desire from 2010 has more modern hardware than the Kobo and Kindle devices.
Oh sorry, the technology of the display is newer.

Last edited by ottischwenk; 06-16-2020 at 11:58 AM.