Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 07-27-2021, 11:25 AM   #1126
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Created a fresh test library for replication and was able to repeat results even in a portable Calibre with only Reading List and View Manager. So here it is.
This is your idea of a "fresh" library? There's 40+ columns, dozens of saved searches and your view sorts on 7 columns. And you haven't mentioned what column(s) aren't sorting correctly--just that a book is 'stuck at the bottom'.

Okay, I've followed your steps. Yes, the list-deleted book goes to the bottom of the list and stays there.

I changed the book's metadata, including setting and clearing the Reading List column to make sure that Calibre and not RL had touched it last. I manually clicked each of the sorts in order (except On Device but including hidden columns Currently reading and On Reading List).

The list-deleted book stayed at the bottom.

As far as I know, that's where it's supposed to be--I'm not taking the time to manually verify 7 sort columns for 14 books--but I will continue anyway.

When I quit and restart Calibre and run 'On Device' view, the list-deleted book is not at the bottom immediately after restart, nor after running 'Default' view and then 'On Device' view again.

However, when I use Calibre's Edit metadata to add a value to the On Reading List column, save it, then remove it and invoke 'On Device' view, the list-deleted book is back at the bottom.

IMO, this absolves the RL plugin. But not necessarily VM.

Next test: I outright removed the VM and RL plugins, restarted Calibre, manually set and then cleared the Reading List column on the same book as before; then manually apply the sort order. The changed book is now at the bottom.

FYI, the default Calibre value for maximum_resort_levels is 5 (which is what I'm testing with).

I don't know whether it's changed or not, but in past, Calibre used to limit sort level to 4 on restart. From an old VM post. And that Calibre would force Date into the sort at least priority anytime it wasn't already included.

VM, as I understand it from the follow on posts, does apply sort depth >5 when configured with more.

TL;DR: I submit that if there's a problem here, it's either in Calibre itself or ownedbycats' expectations.
JimmXinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 02:27 PM   #1127
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Yes, the book only is stuck on the bottom for the duration of the current session. Admittedly restarting isn't that much of a problem most of the time, but when I'm running from source that means frequently heading back to the git folder to re-launch the bat file.

I already accounted for maximum_resort_levels; I set it to 12 and that didn't work.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 09:13 PM   #1128
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Think this should be sent to the Calibre bugtracker? I'll wait and see if chaley sees this first though before doing that.

For now, I'll just remove #readinglist from my VM sorts, at least until I move to the next stable version (usually I just hit restart to fix things, but running from source just makes it close and not restart).

Last edited by ownedbycats; 07-27-2021 at 11:04 PM.
Old 07-28-2021, 07:29 AM   #1129
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Think this should be sent to the Calibre bugtracker? I'll wait and see if chaley sees this first though before doing that.
Well, this has been fun.

I now understand what is happening. To explain:
  • For performance reasons calibre keeps an in-memory copy of the data read from the database.
  • When the database is originally loaded into memory, if a custom series is empty then the custom series index is set to empty (None), otherwise it is set to the series index.
  • When you sort on a custom series it automatically sorts by the name then the index.
  • When you edit a custom series by setting it to empty, the custom series index remains in the in-memory copy of the database.
Putting all this together, when you start calibre all the books without the custom series have an empty index so they sort identically. However, if you change (remove) the custom series that book still has the index so it sorts differently from the other empty books.

I have a fix but I don't trust my comprehension of the affected code. I will commit it, explaining to Kovid why I changed what I did so he can show me any errors of my ways.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 10:52 AM   #1130
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Kovid committed an improved version of my changes. They are now in source.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 02:29 PM   #1131
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Updated my source. It's fixed. Thank you for looking into that.
Old 07-28-2021, 02:31 PM   #1132
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Well, this has been fun.
Indeed. Many thanks for figuring it out!
Old 08-01-2021, 06:44 PM   #1133
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

And now the fix is in the stable version.
Old 09-01-2021, 04:53 PM   #1134
uli
Zealot
uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo, Calibre
I have a bug where the Sync Options 'when syncing' reset to default when switching away from 'Auto populated from books on device'. The setting gets saved even when the window is cancelled.

1. List Type: 'Auto populated from books on device'
2. List Type: Manually or Search
3. Change the default 'when syncing this list' to another option 'e.g. Replaced device with list' (SYNCREPNEW)
4. Switch between lists and the setting will reset.
5. Return to 'Auto populated from books on device' and Cancel

Peaking at settings will be back to "listType": "SYNCNEW" so not a display bug.

Example:
https://imgur.com/a/JQRp74p
uli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 10:20 AM   #1135
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

I do see this happen too. My instinct is that it's probably an edit check for the auto-pop that is misplaced.

Hopefully I'll have time to look at it today.
Old 09-02-2021, 01:05 PM   #1136
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

New Test Version

- Only force set sync_type as needed. Only expresses when switching lists in config.

I believe this version will solve uli's issue. Hopefully without breaking anything else.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Reading List.zip (420.1 KB, 147 views)
Old 09-02-2021, 03:47 PM   #1137
uli
Zealot
uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo, Calibre
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
New Test Version

- Only force set sync_type as needed. Only expresses when switching lists in config.

I believe this version will solve uli's issue. Hopefully without breaking anything else.
Thanks for the fix!

If it doesn't break anything... is it possible for the 'auto populate from device' to run after the other lists have be processed?

I'm using column update, and if a reading list removes a book it'll only get refreshed on a second sync.
uli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 12:53 PM   #1138
FadedSun
FadedSun began at the beginning.

Device: calibre ebook-reader
Many thanks for creating this plugin.
I'm just curious, where do the lists actually "live"? I mean are they stored in metadata.db or are there part of a different file?
FadedSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 01:09 PM   #1139
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by FadedSun View Post
Many thanks for creating this plugin.
I'm just curious, where do the lists actually "live"? I mean are they stored in metadata.db or are there part of a different file?
metadata.db. In the preferences table is a row called namespaced:ReadingListPlugin:settings. The lists are stored as a JSON there:

Code:
{
  "SchemaVersion": 1.64,
  "default": "To Be Read",
  "lists": {
    "Remove from Device": {
      "content": [],
      "displayTopMenu": false,
      "listType": "SYNCREM",
      "modifyAction": "TAGADDREMOVE",
      "populateSearch": "",
      "populateType": "POPMANUAL",
      "seriesColumn": "",
      "seriesName": "",
      "sortList": true,
      "syncAuto": true,
      "syncClear": true,
      "syncDevice": "[redacted just in case]",
      "tagsColumn": "#kobocoll",
      "tagsText": "[Remove from Device]"
    },
    "Send to Device": {
      "content": [],
      "displayTopMenu": true,
      "listType": "SYNCALL",
      "seriesColumn": "",
      "seriesName": "",
      "syncAuto": true,
      "syncClear": true,
      "syncDevice": "[redacted just in case]",
      "tagsText": "[Send to Device]"
    },
    "To Be Read": {
      "content": [
      ],
      "displayTopMenu": true,
      "listType": "SYNCNEW",
      "seriesColumn": "#readinglist",
      "seriesName": "To Be Read",
      "syncAuto": false,
      "syncClear": false,
      "syncDevice": null,
      "tagsText": "To Be Read"
    }
  }
}
The list of numbers in content are book IDs.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 10-22-2021 at 01:12 PM.
Old 10-22-2021, 01:23 PM   #1140
FadedSun
FadedSun began at the beginning.

Device: calibre ebook-reader
Thank you so much ownedbycats !
FadedSun is offline   Reply With Quote