Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-19-2005, 04:46 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Mobile-friendly Web pages in two minutes

Mike Davidson demonstrates with a few lines of PHP code how you can transform your cluttered homepage into clean HTML code that is supposed to work better and faster with mobile devices. Not sure if this automated solution works for every Web developer, but it is certainly worth a try. That reminds me that we really need a better mobile solution for MR!

[via Stopdesign]
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 06:44 AM   #2
Leahcim
Nameless Being

Suggestion: Clean up existing code first

That reminds me that we really need a better mobile solution for MR!

You can begin by cleaning up the existing code:
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=ht...ileread.com%2F
Advert
Old 07-20-2005, 09:37 AM   #3
Antoine of MMM
Mobile Ministry Magazine
Antoine of MMM is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Antoine of MMM is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Antoine of MMM is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Antoine of MMM is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Antoine of MMM is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Antoine of MMM is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Antoine of MMM is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Antoine of MMM is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Antoine of MMM is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Antoine of MMM is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Antoine of MMM is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nokia N75/N800 Internet Tablet
Great link. If a person is doing PHP, it works really well. If not, well...there is some work to be done.

Concerning a better mobile solution for MR: its easier said than done. Unfortunately, mobile browsers are more for meeting thier own standards before meeting WC3 standards. For example, in the link this story references, there is a comment about how this would not be needed if all mobile browsers supported the @handheld tag. Because all dont, making a mobile site that employs this makes for an issue. This solution helps some; but you still have some speed issues, and with complex content things can get hairy.
Antoine of MMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 10:18 AM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leahcim
That reminds me that we really need a better mobile solution for MR!

Thanks for reminding me, Leahcim. Yes, we are working on a complete redesign of our site. I am fairly tired of the current one and I am not a great fan of the table-layout either!

Best
Alex
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 01:23 AM   #5
Chaos
Evangelist
Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Assorted older devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leahcim
The only errors on the frontpage are easily solved, and unique to the frontpage (validate the forums index - no errors).

The URLs with ampersands in them simply need to be encoded (through, for example, htmlspecialchars()), and the news feeds on the side could use similar treatment.

Other than that, the article images simply need an alt tag. alt="" even.

Those errors aren't really a huge deal. =P Just, unless vBulletin handles things an awful lot weirder than I think, maybe 3 or 4 code changes.

More ontopic, I think I'll play with the linked stuff... could come in handy for me. Seems like, when properly tweaked, it could be very handy for almost anything one want's "mobilized".
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert