Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 09-13-2010, 08:11 AM   #1
bookwarm
bookwarm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwarm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwarm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwarm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
Demo: Jetbook mini official demo

I found this in ECTACO's site. It seems that the official price (in US) is 99$ pretty competitive price and still less than K3, the SD slot is just for 2GB (instead of 16GB in the lite) but it seems better in all of the other aspects. It will last ~90hours with energizerlithium batteries.

Anyhow here is the video (an english one at last):

bookwarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:52 AM   #2
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
Hmm...
So the Mini only views TXT and FB2 files? Not a biggie for me as I tend to convert everything to TXT anyway. But I can picture a lot of people ranting about this already.
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2010, 11:57 AM   #3
bookwarm
bookwarm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwarm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwarm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwarm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven522 View Post
Hmm...
So the Mini only views TXT and FB2 files? Not a biggie for me as I tend to convert everything to TXT anyway. But I can picture a lot of people ranting about this already.
I didn't notice that... thats mean no ability to read DRMed books out of the box experience. I guess they "crippled" the mini in order to keep the JBL attractive
Old 09-13-2010, 12:49 PM   #4
Flyingredgoat
Flyingredgoat is on a distinguished road

Device: Jetbook mini / Handspring Visor
Quote:
Hmm...
Not ranting, but I'm surprised it doesn't handle pdf's. Needed those for technical documents in the field. Oh well, just have to stick with a jbl.

I'm wondering, why they didn't use the same software that the jbl does though. A little tweak to replace the number keys w/ a cursor menu and voila.

My guess is that this is the result of the 3 month development that the mini received. The software updates should remedy this.

frg
Flyingredgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 02:14 PM   #5
steven522
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was just wondering to myself why they decided on FB2 as a second format. Wouldn't the open source EPUB be better even without DRM capabilites? Or would that require the ability to handle other formats as well, such as HTML?
Advert
Old 09-13-2010, 04:02 PM   #6
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
I was just wondering to myself why they decided on FB2 as a second format. Wouldn't the open source EPUB be better even without DRM capabilites? Or would that require the ability to handle other formats as well, such as HTML?
It is somewhat curious.

ePub = zipped HTML

HTML = Hypertext Markup Language

XML = eXtended Markup Language ( extended HTML )

FB2 = XML

All the ML file formats are really .txt

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 05:20 PM   #7
bookwarm

I'm so glad i didn't wait for the mini. pdf reading capability and 16GB sd extension was what made JBL apealing (plus supporting many languages)
Old 09-13-2010, 11:16 PM   #8
adreamer
adreamer began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2, Paperwhite 2
Quote:
I read somewhere that FB2 is the most popular format in Russia.
adreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:21 AM   #9
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Hmm... The original demo was from a Moscow trade show.

Maybe there could be different firmware versions for different markets.

If Adobe isn't charging too much for use of the Adobe Reader Mobile that is in the current
JBL, and if the processor and memory will support it, that would be the most logical one
to have for the US market. (But I would still miss PDB support with that approach.)

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 09-14-2010 at 01:24 AM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 06:12 AM   #10
steven522

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Maybe there could be different firmware versions for different markets.
The demo above mentions using calibre to get other format spport and the ectaco site states for pre-orders of the mini that only TXT and FB2 are natively supported.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:43 AM   #11
Begemot
Zealot
Begemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Sony DPT-S1, Kindle DX, iPad, Kobo Mini,H20,iRiver StoryHD
From the official Ectaco page http://www.ectaco.com/jetbook-mini-black/ : Support for LIT, MOBI, EPUB, HTML, PRC, RTF, PDB, PDF via Calibre conversion to TXT and FB2.

I imagine the limited format support is partially because the processor must be less powerful than JBL. Surely, it is not because someone is afraid of cannibalizing Jetbook and JBL sales...

Still, Calibre conversion of PDF to TXT ? That is not going to look pretty, none of the pdf to txt conversions, I have done, have come out well on my Libre. Then again, this is regular txt we are talking about.

On the other hand, I am extremely happy how PDF reflow is handled on my Libre.
Begemot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:52 AM   #12
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
I actually read all my .pdf's as .txt with no real issues.

Granted sometimes after I convert to .txt I'll open the book in Word and save as .rtf.
Seems to do a better job of fixing some formating errors. Not that it gets them all, but then I'm not fussy.

I suspect the Mini will get a firmware change for more format types in time.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:13 AM   #13
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
I am disappointed by the initial 2 color choices. I can understand the black mini, but the bright yellow is just too loud. Does anyone know when other color choices will be available?

Ellen
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:05 AM   #14
steven522

Actually the bright yellow gives it that "industrial" look.

Last edited by steven522; 09-14-2010 at 10:28 AM.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:06 PM   #15
ltucci1924
ltucci1924 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: JETBOOK MINI RB
epub

Does this mean that I will have to convert my epub stuff to fb2 or tex. The mini cant use epub. I have only used epub and dont know how fb2 is.
ltucci1924 is offline   Reply With Quote