Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-21-2009, 12:05 PM   #1
Kallel00
Kallel00 began at the beginning.

Device: PSR-505
New PRS-505 owner. Awesome device, so-so everything else =p

Received my red PRS-505 reader this week. For what it's designed for, ie reading books, it's awesome. Screen is ultra-clear, and overall device usage is straightforward. I love it so much that I re-purchased the Twilight books that I already owned in hardcover (but never read).

I always read books just once , so used books in my home = wasted space. This is why an e-book is joy. Will be VERY nice for travels also since I tend to always pack 3-4 books in my luggages.

That said, my positive comments stop here. Until the industry solves their proprietary war formats, it'll never reaches the masses it should (ie, Amazon store restricted to Kindle only devices, etc).

And the reason I mention Amazon now it's because it's the biggest player in the book/ebook industry now. If Amazon was to sell (worldwide) non kindle-restricted ebooks, the industry could grow much faster.

P.S. A little parenthesis here: I was also thinking of purchasing a Kindle 2 (my parents own a House in florida so it was doable for me), but the keyboard sorta scared me. The PRS-505 totally feels like a book if you hold it with the leather cover on, and that's what mattered the most to me. Yeah sure browsing the Amazon store via the Kindle sounds like a good publicity, but once people actually discover how painfully horrible 3G network is, they're mostly gonna revert to shopping on Amazon.com via their real computers . Had the Kindle been more like the Sony (ie, smaller & no keyboard) it would've been my choice.

P.S.2. Comment specifically from a Canadian. Buying ebooks from the Sonystore, after exchange rate conversion, makes them cost more than simply ordering paperbacks on Amazon.ca. Not sure they're gonna get many sales from the border up north

P.S.3. The sony ebook store stinks heh. I find myself constantly shopping on Amazon.com for titles, then once I settle on one I revert back to the Sony store to see if its available.

P.S.4. The Sony ebook software is an absolute farce, but I'll just leave it at that since my use is minimal at best (to transfer books on my Ereader).
Kallel00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 12:19 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
The US eBookstore seems to have a better selection than the Canadian version. Have you tried fictionwise?

And if you are unhappy with the software, you should try Calibre. A lot of people prefer that.

You should also check out all of the free ebooks here
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2009, 01:12 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Sony eBookstore software isn't fancy, but (for me at least) it was always stable and got the job done. I can think of lots of fancier pieces of software for which the same cannot be said.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 01:16 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The Sony eBookstore software isn't fancy, but (for me at least) it was always stable and got the job done. I can think of lots of fancier pieces of software for which the same cannot be said.
Same here. It's basic, but does what it needs to to, of course I don't use the store part except for freebies and I know a lot of complaints folks have are about the store part.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 01:17 PM   #5
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Same here. It's basic, but does what it needs to to, of course I don't use the store part except for freebies and I know a lot of complaints folks have are about the store part.
I have to say, I really like the store. I find it fairly easy to browse, similar to a bookstore experience. In comparison, I feel amazon is too overloaded with things. I can get author alerts, search easily for author's other books, price, etc. Not to mention they do a good job showing new releases and sales.
Advert
Old 02-21-2009, 01:20 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I have to say, I really like the store. I find it fairly easy to browse, similar to a bookstore experience. In comparison, I feel amazon is too overloaded with things. I can get author alerts, search easily for author's other books, price, etc. Not to mention they do a good job showing new releases and sales.
Most complaints I've heard about the Sony store seem to stem from it being really slow and searching not being all that great. Like I said I don't really use it, so I don't know.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 01:27 PM   #7
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Most complaints I've heard about the Sony store seem to stem from it being really slow and searching not being all that great. Like I said I don't really use it, so I don't know.
I usually browse it on a web browser, not via the software (until I want to buy). Haven't had a problem with searching either. It's not google, but I find what I want.
Old 02-21-2009, 02:07 PM   #8
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Having never registered my PRS-505 with the Sony Store, I've not had the pleasure (?) of shopping there. I buy most of my new-release books from Amazon since I own a Kindle. The rest of my shopping has been at Fictionwise and Baen/Webscriptions. Since I downloaded the free romances from Harlequin, I'm putting them onto the Sony to read. (Since I haven't registered my Sony, I don't have the software update for ePub support, so I've been converting them to .lrf in Calibre.)

Quote:
P.S. A little parenthesis here: I was also thinking of purchasing a Kindle 2 (my parents own a House in florida so it was doable for me), but the keyboard sorta scared me. The PRS-505 totally feels like a book if you hold it with the leather cover on, and that's what mattered the most to me.
That's exactly how the Kindle feels -- at least the first edition. I turn the cover back, which leaves a 3/4 inch edge as a place to rest my thumb so I don't have to worry about where to hold the Kindle when reading. I also don't have a problem accidentally turning the pages except when I hand the Kindle to another person who isn't aware of where the controls are.

Quote:
Yeah sure browsing the Amazon store via the Kindle sounds like a good publicity, but once people actually discover how painfully horrible 3G network is, they're mostly gonna revert to shopping on Amazon.com via their real computers . Had the Kindle been more like the Sony (ie, smaller & no keyboard) it would've been my choice.
I rarely use the 3G network except to accept the books that I've purchased. Most of the time I browse Amazon with my PC, purchase or select samples, and designate which Kindle should receive them. When it's convenient, I plug the Kindle into the wall power, turn on the WhisperNet antenna and let it sit there and suck down all the new content.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 03:31 PM   #9
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Books on Board is the store I used the most before buying a Kindle. I bought all my books in Lit, use Convertlit to deDRM, and Calibre to make a Sony book. The entire process is really easy and after initial set-up takes about 30 second for both steps.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 06:48 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
(Since I haven't registered my Sony, I don't have the software update for ePub support, so I've been converting them to .lrf in Calibre.)
The firmware updater can be downloaded stand alone if you don't want to install the Sony eBook Library software.

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu...505&SelectOS=7

BTW if you do have the Sony software installed you don't need to register either... you can still update the firmware via that.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote