Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-15-2008, 07:16 PM   #1
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
[old-topic]ebook-viewer: Open source, crossplatform viewer for EPUB, LIT, MOBI, etc

As of version 0.4.96 calibre has a new Ebook viewer with full support for HTML+CSS. The viewer is capable of displaying all the major ebooks formats: EPUB, LIT, MOBI, FB2, PRC, etc It has support for Table of Contents, Meta information, search, fully customizable fonts, etc. An innovative new feature is the "reference mode" that can be used to generate reference numbers for each paragraph in the the text. These allow for easy and accurate cross referencing of ebooks.

It can be launched from the GUI by clicking the View button or from the command line by the command

Code:
ebook-viewer
Note that the old viewer is still used for LRF files. Also note that the viewer doesn't jump through hoops to emulate "pages". It does however have a progress indicator that tells you both approximately how large the book is and how much of it you have finished reading.

TODO:

* Annotations
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot1.png
Views:	3063
Size:	663.5 KB
ID:	17073   Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot2.png
Views:	2230
Size:	163.3 KB
ID:	17074  

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 10-21-2008 at 10:56 PM.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 08:15 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
My favorite test ePub is one of the hardest to render. It is Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, from the ADE sample ebook library.

At present Calibre is not quite reflowing around images correctly and not getting the tail as text formatting right. There is also miss-rendered punctuation (left and right quotes, mdash, etcetera).

Even so, this is already showing a lot of promise.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Alice_epub_C.gif
Views:	2756
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	17076   Click image for larger version

Name:	Alice_epub_ADE.gif
Views:	2716
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	17077   Click image for larger version

Name:	C_Alice02.gif
Views:	2251
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	17078   Click image for larger version

Name:	DE_Alice02.gif
Views:	2523
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	17079  
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2008, 08:54 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The viewer uses the webkit rendering engine to actually render the HTML. As that improves (and it will) these sorts of redering glitches will automatically get fixed.

EDIT: Can you attach the Alice in Winderland book. The link you posted is windows only.

EDIT2: Looking at your screenshots, I actually prefer calibre's reflow around the images. Why do you say it is not correct?

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 10-15-2008 at 09:08 PM.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:26 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Can you attach the Alice in Winderland book. The link you posted is windows only.
The download requires Adobe Digital Editions (so I suppose it will work on a Mac, but not Linux). The basic contents are obviously in the public domain, but I don't know if the distrubution of the ebook is restricted. In other words what does Adobe mean by "free sample eBooks"?

Quote:
Looking at your screenshots, I actually prefer calibre's reflow around the images. Why do you say it is not correct?
The problem is that some of the text is missing (behind the image).
Old 10-16-2008, 08:42 AM   #5
jedavis1
Zealot
jedavis1 doesn't litterjedavis1 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Thanks for implementing this new viewer, it is great! But like wallcraft, when I view a book, it is cutting off some of the letters at the end of the lines on the right. It is in .lit format, I don't know if this is true for other formats or not.
jedavis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2008, 02:08 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post

The problem is that some of the text is missing (behind the image).
Umm maybe I'm being dense, I still dont see what text is missing?

EDIT: Ah I think I see in your screenshots, it works for me in linux. I should try it in windows.

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 10-16-2008 at 02:11 PM.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:09 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedavis1 View Post
Thanks for implementing this new viewer, it is great! But like wallcraft, when I view a book, it is cutting off some of the letters at the end of the lines on the right. It is in .lit format, I don't know if this is true for other formats or not.
Use the scrollbar at the bottom or make the window bigger. That lit file probably uses some non reflowable tags like <pre>
Old 10-16-2008, 02:26 PM   #8
jedavis1
Zealot

Quote:
Use the scrollbar at the bottom or make the window bigger.
I have tried making the window bigger, but the result is the same and I can't find any scroll bars at the "bottom".

I did try three other .lit files and didn't seem to have trouble with them.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Reader.png
Views:	2171
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	17104  

Last edited by jedavis1; 10-16-2008 at 02:29 PM.
Old 10-16-2008, 03:32 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Ah well that is weird, can you open a ticket and attach the lit file.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:15 AM   #10
jedavis1
Zealot

Quote:
Ah well that is weird, can you open a ticket and attach the lit file.
Done.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:51 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@wallcraft: I just tested alice in wonderland with calibre 0.4.97 on windows vista and I don't see the image reflow probelm. Is it still happening for you?
Old 10-17-2008, 08:27 PM   #12
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Is it still happening for you?
It works using 0.4.98 on Windows XP. The punctuation is working too.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:54 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I've been talking for a while about the best way to do referencing in the era of the ebook. Well as of calibre 04.99, the ebook-viewer has my first stab at an answer. You can enter the "reference mode" In that mode mousing over a paragraph will give you a number that you can use as a reference. You can type reference number in the Go to box to navigate to them.

In addition 0.4.99 brings support for bookmarks and user stylesheets.
Old 12-20-2008, 09:04 AM   #14
jbicha
jbicha began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
LRF with new ebook viewer?

Do you intend to support (reflowable) LRF with your new ebook viewer? When I try to view LRF, a single page doesn't fit on my limited-resolution-screen without needing scrolling. Is LRF even possible to reflow like this?

I have figured out that epub seems to work better for me on both my Sony Reader & computer viewing and so have switched my default to epub & will be converting my books over to it.
jbicha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 01:16 PM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

No LRF is not a truly reflowable format, in that each LRF file is for a specific screen size which is hard coded into the LRF file.

Tags
calibre, ebook, open source, viewer