Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-31-2011, 06:57 AM   #1
Koko
thinking thing
Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.

Device: xx
Creating dictionary for kindle 4

Hello, anybody who has successfully created a custom dictionary for kindle 4? The dictionary I am trying to convert to kindle work fine on my old kindle after using this tutorial:
http://1manfactory.com/create-your-o...uage-for-free/
But on my kindle touch I can't select the dictionary and the language (Norwegian) is not displayed on top, although I have specified the language in the opf:

Code:
<metadata>
	<dc-metadata>
		<dc:Identifier id="uid">dict</dc:Identifier>
		<!-- Title of the document -->
		<dc:Title><h2>Norsk-norsk ordbok</h2></dc:Title>
		<dc:Language>no</dc:Language>
	</dc-metadata>
	<x-metadata>
		<output encoding="Windows-1252" flatten-dynamic-dir="yes"/>
		<DictionaryInLanguage>no</DictionaryInLanguage>
		<DictionaryOutLanguage>no</DictionaryOutLanguage>
	</x-metadata>
</metadata>
Koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:45 AM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
I don't have a Kindle 4, but several users reported issues with the dictionary lookup feature, which might be limited to the 6 officially supported Kindle languages (English, French, Italian, German, Spanish and Portuguese).
If that is indeed the case, you might have to add the ASIN number of a default dictionary that you don't use, e.g. B005EOCESI for Portuguese, to your custom dictionary. (You'll also have to change the language code of your Norwegian books to Portuguese). For more information see this related thread.

Another possibility is that the Kindle 4 supports only Unicode dictionaries. In that case changing the following line might work:
Code:
<output encoding="Windows-1252" flatten-dynamic-dir="yes"/>
<output encoding="utf-8" flatten-dynamic-dir="yes"/>
However, I don't think that it'll make a difference, but it couldn't hurt to give it a try.

Last edited by Doitsu; 12-31-2011 at 07:55 AM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2012, 12:43 PM   #3
Koko
thinking thing
Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.

Device: xx
Thanks for reply; unfortunately it did not fix the problem. I’m hoping for a fix for this in a later software update.
Koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:07 PM   #4
iatheia
Zealot
iatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle 3, Icarus Illumina XL, Boyue T62
http://translate.google.com/translat...hp%3Ft%3D15767 - gives you the tools to convert dsl dictionaries into something Kindle supports.
iatheia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:33 AM   #5
bastjan
bastjan began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
hey koko!

would you mind sharing your dictionary? I was just thinking of building one myself. Would save me some time. I'm using a Kindle Keyboard. thanks!

Last edited by bastjan; 03-01-2013 at 04:35 AM.
bastjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2013, 06:26 AM   #6
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
koko posted long time ago. You might want to look at my NADSAT dictionary source files to start you up.
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dictionary, kindle 4