Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 11-01-2011, 11:19 AM   #1
therealjoeblow
Zealot
therealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Samsung Android Tablet w/Moon+ Pro Reader
Changing internal ePub title with "Edit metadata"

If my ePub's internal title (the name stored within the content.opf file, in the dc:title tag) is say "ZZZ", and I change it to "yyy" with the "Edit metadata" button in calibre, it only changes the name in calibre's database, the title within the ePub will stay "ZZZ". I have to actually "convert" the epub to another epub to get the book's title to be updated internally, which I don't really want to do as it usually changes something in the formatting which I'd like to avoid.

Likewise for covers, it does the same thing, doesn't change the cover stored within unless actually converting.

Is there an option to have Calibre update the title (and other stored metadata, covers, etc) without actually converting the book when I hit "OK" on the "Edit metadata" screen?

thanks
The REAL Joe
therealjoeblow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 02:02 PM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealjoeblow View Post
I have to actually "convert" the epub to another epub to get the book's title to be updated internally, which I don't really want to do as it usually changes something in the formatting which I'd like to avoid.
It's also updated when you send to device, save to disk and grab from the content server. Those are the normal ways to get the books out of the library.
Quote:
Likewise for covers, it does the same thing, doesn't change the cover stored within unless actually converting.
Try the Modify EPUB plugin.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2011, 11:22 PM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealjoeblow View Post
Is there an option to have Calibre update the title (and other stored metadata, covers, etc) without actually converting the book when I hit "OK" on the "Edit metadata" screen?
No.

Metadata will not be inserted into the ePub until you do one of the following.
  • Use the Save to disk feature to export the book from calibre.
  • Use the Send to device to export the book from calibre.
  • Use the Connect to folder feature to export the book from calibre.
  • Use the Content server to export the book from calibre.
The above 4 methods will insert the metadata into the book as the book leaves the confines of the calibre environment. The below 2 methods will update the book inside the calibre file structure.
  • Use the modify ePub plugin to update the metadata in the book.
  • Convert the file, epub to epub would work.
Additionally covers will only get inserted into the ePub with the first 5 options above if there is an existing cover in the ePub that is properly structured and identified as a cover.

Currently if a cover doesn't already exist in the ePub or if the cover is not properly identified the only way to insert the cover is via a ePub - ePub conversion.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:01 AM   #4
therealjoeblow
Zealot
therealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Samsung Android Tablet w/Moon+ Pro Reader
Thanks
therealjoeblow is offline   Reply With Quote