Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-27-2012, 07:34 AM   #1
relbeig
relbeig began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Angry Kobo Touch died after upgrade, help please

My KT is 11 months old, I sync'd it yesterday by WiFi and since then it isn't recognized by my computer, it is frozen with a white screen, and the green light flashes all the time. I have tried the pin reset - just switches off the green light which comes back on again when I switch on. Have tried the factory reset by holding home button and sliding power on......both quickly and also holding power for long time - nothing......PLEASE HELP! Does this qualify as a warranty claim if I can't get it to restart?

Thanks in advance for any help.
relbeig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:29 AM   #2
dakini
not "it"
dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 7th gen
yes, 11 months in most countries is still under the Kobo warranty period. I'm not sure where you're from, but this would count for a warranty claim.

First, though, I'd plug it in to a wall charger and let it sit charging for a couple hours to see if part of the problem might be a flat battery. For some reason, that seems to account for a large percentage of the problems with restarts and upgrades.
dakini is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2012, 11:44 AM   #3
mconh
Connoisseur
mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, AuraHD, AuraH20
Quote:
Originally Posted by relbeig View Post
My KT is 11 months old, I sync'd it yesterday by WiFi and since then it isn't recognized by my computer, it is frozen with a white screen, and the green light flashes all the time. I have tried the pin reset - just switches off the green light which comes back on again when I switch on. Have tried the factory reset by holding home button and sliding power on......both quickly and also holding power for long time - nothing......PLEASE HELP! Does this qualify as a warranty claim if I can't get it to restart?

After charging try all of these exactly as written.

Performing a basic reset
A basic reset will force your Kobo eREader Touch to restart properly.

To do a basic reset:
1. If possible, turn your eReader off.
2. Turn it over and locate the small hole on the back.
3. Unfold a paperclip and slide an end into the hole.
4. Press gently until you feel a click.
5. Your eReader should restart.

This is how to do a factory reset when you can't do it from within the device:

Turn off the device by holding down the power button for 15 seconds.
Turn it back on while keeping the HOME button pressed.
This will trigger the factory reset. There is no YES/NO prompt. Don't turn off the unit while it's doing this. No USB cable connected.
mconh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:56 AM   #4
frankieGom
Interested
frankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kobo Touch & Glo, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by relbeig View Post

First, make sure you apply the factory reset properly, i.e you must make sure the device is off. To do this, push and hold the power button for at least 15s. And no matter what the screen says, unless it goes on, just do not assume you know the power state for your Kobo as you could have the unit on and un unresponsive or off screen)

Then, press and hold the Home button, then while holding the Home button, slide the power button. The unit should turn on with a green light then a red light (this is the indication that factory reset was triggered).

If you still cannot initiate the factory reset, then by all means contact Kobo and they should sort you out.

François
frankieGom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:18 PM   #5
relbeig
relbeig began at the beginning.

Thanks for all the suggestions...I had just recharged my KT so it's fully charged; I tried the pin in the hole - nothing happened; tried the factory reset - nothing happened.

I got a response from Kobo saying that it looks like it will need repair or refurbishment...I checked my receipt and I got it in May, not last November, so only 6 months old. Hopefully they'll ship a new one ASAP.

relbeig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2012, 05:22 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
If you haven't sent it back yet, there is one more thing to try:

- Turn the device off by sliding the power switch to the right and holding it for 10 seconds. DO NOT skip this. Even if you already think it is of, do this anyway.
- Hold the Home button down and push something into the pin hole in the back. Make sure you feel the button inside the hole click and then release it.
- Keep holding the Home button until the light flash. Or at least 10 seconds.

This resets the Touch in a different way than the Home button plus power switch. It seems to work in circumstances the other doesn't.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:46 AM   #7
DXer
DXer began at the beginning.

I was in a similar predicament. I did all the troubleshooting listed in the other posts, and then contacted Kobo Support.

They had me run through the steps again, and then advised me that I would need a replacement device shipped.

The process was fairly streamlined - it did take about a week to get my replacement, but it was brand new, in the box. I've since sent my defective Kobo Touch back, and I couldn't be happier.
DXer is offline   Reply With Quote