Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-26-2021, 05:00 PM   #796
FireFrog
Enthusiast
FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle 2019, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by baskerville View Post
Plato ignores the embedded fonts but doesn't ignore the generic family names (serif, sans-serif, monospace, cursive, fantasy) given at the end of the font-family property. When you change the font in the toolbar it changes the font associated with the serif family name. The aforementioned document uses the sans-serif family name for the main text style.
Gotcha. Now I know where to begin. I'll be editing the CSS style. Thank you for your time.
FireFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 10:42 AM   #797
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Hi @Baskerville I think dictionary lookup can be improved a lot if you simply enable fuzzy search by default. For example, I'm using the gnu stardict for English and search fails if I search for plural nouns, e.g., "standards" will fail, but if I turn on fuzzy search, it finds it with no noticeable delay

With fuzzy search on, fuzzy hits will sometimes show up before exact hits, e.g., search "reify" and you get "deify" before "reify". So a simple improvement there is to sort the results by Lev distance, and if there is/are hit/s with distance zero, show only those.

If Lev distance function can be tweaked to prefer prefix matching, e.g. reifies preferred over deify as a match for reify, that will be another improvement. (You can probably safely ignore results where first letter doesn't match)

You're going to get a bunch of spurious results by enabling fuzzy search by default, but seems to me it's preferable to getting nothing, because when you do a dict lookup, you want to find SOMEthing
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 11:16 AM   #798
baskerville
Evangelist
baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
I'm using the gnu stardict for English and search fails if I search for plural nouns, e.g., "standards" will fail.
The problem comes from the dictionary: try to find a StarDict dictionary that includes a .syn file (or use the WordNet dictionary linked in the issue below).

This is a duplicate of #83.
baskerville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 10:48 AM   #799
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by baskerville View Post
The problem comes from the dictionary: try to find a StarDict dictionary that includes a .syn file (or use the WordNet dictionary linked in the issue below).

This is a duplicate of #83.
Thank you kindly!
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 11:21 AM   #800
Buhaj47
Zealot
Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra 2
Sorry, I might have missed it in the manual, but is it possible to set the page counter in the footer?
Buhaj47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 11:33 AM   #801
baskerville
Evangelist
baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buhaj47 View Post
Is it possible to set the page counter in the footer?
The reader doesn't bear a footer.
Old 12-19-2021, 11:37 AM   #802
baskerville
Evangelist

Plato 0.9.23

I've released 0.9.23.
Old 12-20-2021, 05:25 PM   #803
doki43
Enthusiast
doki43 began at the beginning.

Device: none
What english dictionary are you all using? The one I use bothers me due to plural of a word just saying "plural of X". As an example, the definition of "Words" is "Plural of word". And then I have to search for word. ahhh..
doki43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 12:07 PM   #804
doki43
Enthusiast
doki43 began at the beginning.

Device: none
What would be the easier way to automatically add a bit of css to every book added to kobo/plato (via calibre)?
doki43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 08:44 PM   #805
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by doki43 View Post
What would be the easier way to automatically add a bit of css to every book added to kobo/plato (via calibre)?
The KoboTouch and KoboTouchExtended drivers can add some CSS when when sending the book to the device. To do this, you need to enable the option "Modify CSS" in the configuration for the driver you use. Then create a file named "kobo_extra.css" in the root directory of the device. In it, put the CSS that you want added to the book. When you send the book to the device, the contents of this file will be appended to all stylesheets in the book.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 05:35 PM   #806
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
One thing I've noticed is that drawing the keyboard after changing character sets is very slow. It looks like it's refreshing the screen after every key is drawn to the framebuffer, rather than refreshing once after all keys are drawn.
sherman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 11:13 AM   #807
baskerville
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman View Post
It looks like it's refreshing the screen after every key is drawn to the framebuffer, rather than refreshing once after all keys are drawn.
There's a mechanism for merging update rectangles but it doesn't engage in this case.

I'll have to revise the merging condition.
Old 12-26-2021, 02:49 PM   #808
sawasawa
sawasawa began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Sage
Hey,

I’ve been suffering from unresponsive reader for a bit using a Kobo Libra H20 and Plato 0.9.21

Even after a reboot, after a couple of minutes of reading, the tap interactions start to become really slow.

Load seemed fine ~33% ~43% ~45%, so did memory usage 199/496MB used.

I had tried to turn off Wifi and the "Ignore" setting of the Gyroscope menu suspecting they may have been the source of the hassle

Would you know other steps to debug and isololate a potential issue?

Happy holidays!

Sawa
sawasawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 02:50 PM   #809
sawasawa
sawasawa began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawasawa View Post
Hey,

I’ve been suffering from unresponsive reader for a bit using a Kobo Libra H20 and Plato 0.9.21

Even after a reboot, after a couple of minutes of reading, the tap interactions start to become really slow.
I then tried the Gyroscope application to recalibrate it. What I noticed there is, that some screens were skipped (e.g jumping directly from screen 2/4 to 4/4 without me tapping anything)
sawasawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 03:17 PM   #810
baskerville
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawasawa View Post
I then tried the Gyroscope application to recalibrate it. What I noticed there is, that some screens were skipped (e.g jumping directly from screen 2/4 to 4/4 without me tapping anything)
Could you try to reproduce the above with the attached binary and post the resulting info.log?
Attached Files
File Type: zip plato-libra_h2o-01.zip (2.02 MB, 80 views)

Last edited by baskerville; 12-26-2021 at 03:54 PM.